HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:26 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Build Log
The Stormbach XA42

Hello pilots, I'm back again with a new set of plans to share. Like my Stormbach 442 Sbipe, this new plane is a combination of various designs into something that doesn't exist in any other form. I call it the Stormbach XA42, aka " The Crackbach"

Using the original Sbach drawings from the XtremeAir website, I've reshaped it using the crazy angles from the Twisted Hobbies Crack series. While I cannot match their build quality, weight or those awesome hinges, what I have done is created one crazy little profile foamy that tracks like an arrow, has a rock solid harrier at any angle, hovers with ease, handles wind well and will perform just about anything you throw at it all while flying in your back yard.

I've built two versions of it. A 29" from 6mm Depron Aero and a 32" from 9mm EPP. As you can imagine, the smaller depron version is pretty insane compared to the much squishier EPP plane. It will even do a nice KE spin on 2S power. The EPP version will not spin as easily but if you plow it nose first into the ground while attempting said maneuver, you go pick it up and keep flying. The depron plane might not survive such an incident without repairs.

Here's the video. Embiggen and enjoy!

The Crackbach (5 min 50 sec)

Now... the plans and the build.

I don't have many build pics. There are dozens of profile foamy build threads and videos around here that explain everything better than I could possibly put into words here. Many, if not all of the techniques I discussed in the Sbipe thread can also be used on this plane.

The standard plans create a 32" wingspan and I reduced them to 90% for the 29" depron version.

The two planes should be pretty close in weight and can use similar power systems. I like a 19 - 24 gram motor between 1700 to 2150 KV spinning 8040 or 9047 props. Around 85 watts is usually enough for a 6 oz. plane. I've used Motrolfly 2205-1800 and HK 3010-2100 motors on 2S packs with good success and if you don't mind a little extra weight, the Park 300 series motors perform well on 3S. I use 2S and 3S 450 or 500 mAh LiPo packs. Both sizes require a 9g servo on the ailerons and 5g servos have been sufficient for the tail.

That's it for now. Have at it and have fun!

SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,471 Posts
Wamsy Approved.
wamsy55 is online now Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:25 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
774 Posts
looks really nice, good choice on music too.
furballll is offline Find More Posts by furballll
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:48 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Thankyou, just what i needed
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:57 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post
Wamsy Approved.
Thanks for making my planes look good in the videos. Have fun with the 32" indoors this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furballll View Post
looks really nice, good choice on music too.
Thanks, I thought it fit well. The length of the song was perfect for the video and there is a lot of "Turnin' Left" going on.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:14 PM
HK PITTS EPP-CF
Russian Federation, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Norilsk
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
THNX SD One !!! CDR version 10 drawing Stormbach XA42 by SD One
GraFX74 is offline Find More Posts by GraFX74
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:39 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,150 Posts
20 mins through the video, I was like, that is one awesome plane. 2 seconds later, I realized that the plane could only be as good as the pilot. GREAT PILOT BEHIND THE TX!!!! Nice flying, GraFX74. Wish I had your skills......

Anyways, thanks for sharing the plans. I MUST build one.......

-joker

Whoops, watched end credits, sorry Wamsy.......nice flying!!!
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Last edited by joker24458; Dec 17, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraFX74 View Post
THNX SD One !!! CDR version 10 drawing Stormbach XA42 by SD One
Nice! Thanks for posting the conversion to Corel. Normally I draw my plans with Corel Draw but since I've recently installed Windows 8, I no longer have it on my home PC. Instead, I used Inkscape to draw these plans and I like it enough to not bother with Corel at home anymore.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
HK PITTS EPP-CF
Russian Federation, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Norilsk
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
I will soon leave. Now construction Stormbach 442 Sbipe. On holiday build XA42. But now there is no time... soon the holidays Have a lot to do before the New Year. Have a great day!!!!
GraFX74 is offline Find More Posts by GraFX74
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:10 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
288 Posts
Wow!..great flying, great camera work, and great plane...very impressive display from all...awesome job guys
planecrazy1969 is offline Find More Posts by planecrazy1969
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:27 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
I know Twisted Hobbies has found a way to stiffen the epp they use in their kits...

Question, in addition to the carbon reinforcement, could you use a skin of WBPU to help stiffen the epp at the expense of a little weight?
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:30 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
I also found this by goldguy in the semff WWII combat plane thread that may help too:

If this has been mentioned here before, then consider this 'repetition for emphasis'.

If your building with EPP, try goop/shoe goo/ etc. thinned with Tolulene. With three coats my sloper combat wings last for years. That included full contact combat, smacking flag poles, park benches, big rocks, cement parking lot dividers, trees, the cliff face, our vehicles, a few slow moving pilots (they're old and slow) and the real test..........picking it out of the very nasty black berries with our 'plane picker', which is a modified golf ball retriever.

OK, so they have a few hot melt glue repairs too.

Or, cover it with laminating film after the paint job. It works great on all foams, sticks to EPP without any prep, easy to do and cheap. It's the new craze around here.
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:49 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Very interesting info. Thanks for that. Yeah their EPP and those hinges really took those planes to the next level. No more carbon bracing and very light balsa spars, all thanks to that foam. I don't know if WBPU would skin EPP or just soak into the pores. I might still have some left over from a previous plane. I'll have to try a few things on some scrap foam. I have plenty!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:17 AM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,471 Posts
I flew my EPP Stormbach at our local indoor tonight.

Lots of fun!
wamsy55 is online now Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:53 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
774 Posts
pics and vids or it didnt happen
furballll is offline Find More Posts by furballll