USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,379 Posts
raRaRa.
You can use this so you can always count on the folding prop:

http://www.fpvmanuals.com/prop-stop/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1cDIjVmcYqE

there is a 6mm and 8mm version. The Zephyer guys use them all the time.
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:24 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
raRaRa, I used the those prop stops fpvmanuals sells on my Z2 and they work great. You can make them out of an old credit card pretty easily. I really don't see a need for a folder the way I fly. I don't do much gliding around but, when I do I'm not too worried about the drag. Plus my gopro pan\tilt pod is already creating a ton of drag. Unless you are going for a long distance flight and you want to be able to glide back on a flat battery.

rclab1, a buddy of mine just ordered that same SunnySky 2820 motor for his skyhunter. That epbuddy website needs to ditch that puke green colors.

I ended up getting this motor Tiger Motors AT-2820 830KV
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
548 Posts
Ok awesome!

Anyone got the new bird yet? My package will most likely arrive next week :/
raRaRa is offline Find More Posts by raRaRa
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:45 AM
United States, FL, St Cloud
Joined Dec 2011
68 Posts
Room for batteries?

With the wood rack, is there room for two 4s5000?
Is it wider than regular frame allowing batts to be side by side on the floor or is it the same width?
What is the weight difference in frames alone?
Think COG will be an issue?
Curious to see reviews....
Pathfinder22 is offline Find More Posts by Pathfinder22
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Mine is in customs. Not sure when it will be here.
2013-01-14 13:41:00 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA SAN FRANCISCO Handed over to Customs

Hard to say Pathfinder22 since no user has posted any pics yet. If you can't have to 4s5000 sitting side by side I will be very surprised.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:38 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,379 Posts
I just got my Tracking Numbers via BEVRC.com:-)
Hope at the end of this week I'll get it....I'll definitely post some pictures!

I'am sure we can fit 2x 4s-5000mah in there. Mine is the 1900mm version so it will
be able to handle a lot of loads' (weight) for sure!

p.s.
My Gear:
EzOSD, and DragonLink UHF

With the Long DL Rx antenna, is it ok to run it inside the Carbon Boom?
I'll have the diPoles at the Vertical Stabilizer....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
I currently have the 168 and 1900 wings from previous Skywalkers. It will be nice to see how the 1880 compares to those.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:44 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,379 Posts
The 1880mm Condor Wing will be a bit more 'sporty'. It has a different airfoil....
Look up 'BigNose' review of that Condor Wing....he some vids on YouTube....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:11 AM
United States, NY, Rockville Centre
Joined Oct 2012
89 Posts
Got my SW 2013 w carbon tail - first look

I ordered it from BEVRC on Thursday and received it last night (monday). There seems to be some debate over bevrc but I've ordered from them several times and it's always been a good experience. Free shipping from China that takes 3 business days (4 days total). It's awesome.
I will upload some pics as soon as my phone starts behaving...
SUMMARY
overall very nice improvements. quality of mold seems to be slightly less than original but still good. i have the Black V5 1900 so it hides flaws better too...
FUSELAGE:
Wide enough to fit 2x 4s 5000mah side by side and just as long as original so there is basically a ton of room. No need for a side door because you can actually reach everything from the front hatch.
Front hatch has a plastic and balsa quick release that i really like. no need for magnets or velcro. it has a top canopy cap that is attached by velcro but i will prob not use because i will be doing fpv.
There is a balsa floor platform w velcro strap holes (but wouldn't you want to glue this down making the strap holes less useful???) and a balsa shelf that fits into a foam slot in the back half of fuse and can be slid in and out to reach rx/ autopilot, etc.
The space under the wings is huge now too. It's deeper, and wider, maybe not longer...
The bottom has a large flat area so it will actually sit up level on the ground and there is a balsa skid plate that fits this flat area perfectly. It seems to be compensating for a slightly weaker bottom due to wider fuse. This also makes it very easy to add landing gear without cutting up the fuse.
The foam at the rear of the fuse is molded to match the plastic that holds the carbon tail rod. they left holes for access to bolts on one side so you can adjust the rod or remove for transport after everything is glued together.
TAIL SECTION
I was surprised to see that the tail is longer. the old skywalker rudder ends at the start of the new one. in other words the plane is about 2 inches longer overall.
I assume this is in response to complaints about elevator authority (I never experienced this issue with Black V6 1900)
The way the carbon fits into tail assembly is nice but a little weak. The rod will need to be glued to the plastic here. they cut a hole in the rod to run servo wires which is fine but unnecessary since the end of the rod is right there. i hope this doesn't compromise the strength of the carbon rod.
the vertical stab is one piece molded except for the area around the carbon tube.
There are very nice plastic servo mounts/covers that fit snug and line up well. There is a strange open space for the servo wires that I'm a little confused about but overall I think the vert stab will be much more rigid in this version.
The horizontal stab has been modified/improved in three ways - First, it has been reduced in width to the size of the old elevator (~2inch difference.) Second, the elevator is roughly 2.25" deep compared to 1 3/8" on the old one.
As stated earlier, I never experienced a single issue with elevator authority on my Black V6 1900 but this combined with the longer tail will certainly provide a huge improvement in elevator authority. I think maybe the old elevator couldn't compensate if cg is too far forward but the new one will probably elevate even with cg near wing tip. lol
The third and final mod i noticed on the horizontal stab is the modular quick release. It looks pretty sweet. one alan screw and you can slide the horizontal stab in or out for transport.
It certainly seems that the entire tail assembly will be much more rigid and stable than the older versions once glued and screwed. I can't wait to get this put together.
WINGS
These are the Black V6 1900 wings, which are the only SW wings I've ever flown and I absolutely love them. They probably have something to do with elevator authority in the sense that they help it climb so well and glide too.

That's my long-winded summary. I hope this helps some people.
geobduffy is offline Find More Posts by geobduffy
Last edited by geobduffy; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:15 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,379 Posts
Lucky Dog.....I wanted to beat ya' to it
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:25 AM
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Awesome geobduffy! Can't wait to see some pics! Sounds like it will be a nice upgrade.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Nov 2010
548 Posts
Indeed, thanks a lot geobduffy! It would be awesome to see some comparison pictures Now we'll just have to hope that it flies as good as the old SW.

I'm also wondering where the CG should be on the new one.
raRaRa is offline Find More Posts by raRaRa
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:48 AM
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Is there any way you can verify that it will fit a 12 inch prop?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Oct 2012
89 Posts
SW 2013 Pics

sorry the pics are so blurry. my phone sucks.
They give enough of a comparison i think though to be useful.

Name: 011413205100.jpg
Views: 1049
Size: 124.1 KB
Description: old fuse is very slightly longer

Name: 011413205107.jpg
Views: 729
Size: 134.4 KB
Description: tail comparison

Name: 011413205808.jpg
Views: 685
Size: 172.5 KB
Description: 4s 5000mah

Name: 011413205729.jpg
Views: 704
Size: 88.2 KB
Description: 4s 5000mah

Name: 011413205158.jpg
Views: 682
Size: 112.6 KB
Description: elevator 2.25" vs 1 3/8"

Name: 011413205047.jpg
Views: 618
Size: 90.0 KB
Description: overall length about 2" longer
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Oct 2012
89 Posts
SW Prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabster101 View Post
Is there any way you can verify that it will fit a 12 inch prop?
There is definitely more room for a bigger prop but I will have to measure tonight to be sure it can accommodate a 12".
I will update you tonight!