SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,904 Posts
Discussion
conclusions on t tail

t tail
conclusions
aerodynamically keeps the horizontal tail clear of the wing wake, and this means no turbulence (and only 2 corners), so it is the cleanest of all, and there is a better reaction and sensibility. based on my experience, as i have 3 planes with it, i can confirm this. full size planes, especially sailplanes, use it extensively, and passenger planes like de havilland dash 7 and 8 too, so must be a strong reason for that. another thing is that it can be placed with the leading edge slightly ahead of the fin's leading edge, getting a cleaner entry-and improving even more its efficiency. an example is the ask 21. see http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/p...k21_main_e.htm
installing it, the cleanest way is placing the servo at the fin. or you can use a cable, but this means some drag to the servo. to eliminate drag you can install a linkage with 2 belcranks, but it is more complicated.
also, it is heavier than conventional, as the fin has to be built stronger. but that could be very little if you do a good job engineering it.
and is more prone to damage if you fly competition and do those landings (crashes) to get to the spot-or if your landings are not smooth.
i have a 2 mt sailplane radian that has conventional tail (really it is a low 'x' tail) and it also behaves great, so at the end of the day it depends of what you like best.
i like better t tail for the aerodynamics reasons, and now i do smooth landings, but i must admit that you can live with any way that provides you good results, as long as you do a good installation with as little drag as possible and land smooth.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Apr 29, 2014 at 02:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts