HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2001, 04:49 AM
Forever young
Bro, Sweden
Joined Nov 2001
77 Posts
Where can I buy the “Promaxx 4011” in Europe?

In an earlier thread, someone posted that the “Promaxx 4011 Cobalt” was available in Europe, but wasn’t specific about any retailer, selling theme.
Please, could someone post some addresses and/or links.

/Kim
rcaviator is offline Find More Posts by rcaviator
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2001, 04:08 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,922 Posts
Re: Where can I buy the “Promaxx 4011” in Europe?

They are badged Irvin in the UK. I saw some at West London Models. Also Als Hobbies's have them on their web site.
See: http://www.alshobbiesstore.com/acata...Motors_62.html

They call them "Cobalt Electric Motors 400 11-13 Turn"

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Nov 20, 2001, 04:26 PM
Forever young
Bro, Sweden
Joined Nov 2001
77 Posts
Hi Neil.

Are you sure that the Cobalt at Al's is the same motor. I e-mailed him last week, asking him about the similarity to the Promaxx. The answer I got was that it wasn’t the same motor at all. ???

He didn’t have any data on his cobalt’s, so I haven’t got the chance to compare it to the Promaxx.

I posted a thread about these two motors last week, with picture of theme. But nobody knew anything about it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=17169

Do you have any e-mail or web address to Irvine?

Best Regards
Kim Nelisse
Old Nov 20, 2001, 08:22 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,922 Posts
> Are you sure that the Cobalt at Al's is the same motor.

Yes, amost certain.

> I e-mailed him last week, asking him about the similarity to the Promaxx. The answer I got was that it wasn’t the same motor at all.

They aren't an electric shop, and probably haven't got a clue what a Promaxx motor is.

> Do you have any e-mail or web address to Irvine?

No, sorry.

Greg Kamysz knows all about these motors, and if he say's Irvine distribute them in the UK then they do! Ask Al if he got them from Irvine.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Nov 21, 2001, 01:55 PM
Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2001
44 Posts
Promax/ Irvine

Kim,
Guys in our club have imported a few of the Irvine motors from Al's Hobbies.
The specs sheets that come with the motors give the same intructions specs as for promax motors

Lex D
Lex D is offline Find More Posts by Lex D
Old Nov 21, 2001, 05:28 PM
Forever young
Bro, Sweden
Joined Nov 2001
77 Posts
Neil:

I’ve sent a mail to Al’s for a confirmation, regarding Irvine being the supplier of the Cobalt motors he’s selling. Thanks for sharing the information.

Lex D:

Sounds great that the specs seem to be the same as the one for the promax motor.
Have you tested them in any DF-unit? Compared to the HP 200/20/6, does it perform just as good, or is it big differences?

Neil and Lex. Thanks RC-mates.

/Kim
Old Nov 22, 2001, 10:54 AM
Forever young
Bro, Sweden
Joined Nov 2001
77 Posts
Puzzled

Now I’m really puzzled . I got an answer from Al’s today. Not the one I hoped to get. Al’s still claim that the Cobalt 400 sold by theme is a totally different piece of metal.
Some research in Sweden led me to the distributor of Irvine IC-motors. He told me that Irvine no longer is a stand-alone company. They seem to bee a part of a company called “Slough Radio Control Models”.
He checked the Irvine and Slough catalogue and only found the Cobalt in the one from Slough. But no data was found.

As far as I have found out, Slough doesn’t have any e-mail or web-address. Guess I have to find a phone or fax number.

Guess some of you thinking I’m a bit nuts about this matter. But hey! I don’t think anyone likes the idea of returning things bought from abroad.

/Kim
Old Nov 22, 2001, 11:13 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,928 Posts
"Slough Radio Control Models" is just a big UK model shop AFAIK, they have no connection with Irvine that I'm aware of (other than stocking their stuff)! SRCM don't show a website or even email address in their UK mag. adverts, their tel. no is (0)1753 522222. The cobalts they sell are a "400" in 11, 13, & 14 turn winds and an "05" in 5, 6, 7, & 10 turn winds. They are described: "Samarium Cobalt magnets, Silver Graphite brushes, stainless steel shafts, and epoxy impregnated windings". Pic shows black motor can with purple label.

The Cobalts in Al's Hobbies advert look and sound very similar (identical?), but are cheaper: £31.99 instead of £39.99 for the 400, and £49.99 instead of £54.99 for the 05.

HTH!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 22, 2001, 11:19 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,928 Posts
Steve Webb Models sells the Irvine Cobalts:

http://www.stevewebb.co.uk/newsd.html

PS the phone number for Irvine Engines is (0)20 8361 1123.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Last edited by Bill Glover; Nov 22, 2001 at 11:47 AM.