Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:33 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,371 Posts
Discussion
Sal Taibi

We've lost another old timer today. Sal Taibi, designer of the such famous models as the Powerhouse,Hornet,Brooklyn Dodger,Starduster and others passed away per the SCAMPS FB page. He was 92. Happy flying Sal, you will be missed.

Short autobiography from the AMA site :https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/TaibiSal.pdf
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:02 PM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Casa Grande, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
176 Posts
I'm very sorry to read the news about Sal Taibi. No doubt his classic designs will continue to be built for many years to come. Rest in peace, Mr. Taibi.
vintagemxr is offline Find More Posts by vintagemxr
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
194 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but he did have a good run. The Powerhouse has always been on my short list of projects. Maybe it's time to dig out the plans....
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:47 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
A true icon of modelling history. I have a friend who has just passed as well and he had met Sal many times.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, NY, Apalachin
Joined Oct 2012
44 Posts
Very sad news indeed. I was honored to meet Sal at several SAM Champs in the 90's, he was always friendly and one of the true legends of FF. Was so cool to see him drive up in his vintage Chevy each morning, set up his stuff and be ready to fly the moment the contest began. His models flew well and could max in still air, so he usually had his flights in for an event while many were still getting ready.

The Powerhouse and Brooklyn Dodger are my favorite old timer designs and I cant recall all the Stardusters I built and flew over the years, wonderful designs all.
Lowrider1960 is offline Find More Posts by Lowrider1960
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
451 Posts
M.A.N. Cover

I knew I had this somewhere.

By the way, I've never been sure who to pronounce his name. Can anyone help?
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr View Post
I knew I had this somewhere.

By the way, I've never been sure who to pronounce his name. Can anyone help?
We pronounced it "tay-bee", but this could be incorrect! He was always just "Sal".

- Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:05 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
952 Posts
Sorry to hear of this. We've lost another great one.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:51 AM
AMA 179
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2007
94 Posts
Sal was one of the great designers and flyers who inspired me during my early years at Taft. The stability of his Starduster 900 led me to a C gas national record and he was always available to help and assist other competitors. I can still see him driving up in his 56 chevy.
Luckyducky is offline Find More Posts by Luckyducky
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Aug 2002
92 Posts
Sal T.

I met Sal at more than one meet at Taft, CA. and at SAM Champs. He was always very friendly and helpful. I showed him my "Toothbrush motor powered" original design, old timer style plane and he signed the wing for me. RIP Sal. Pepflyer
PHIL PEARCE is offline Find More Posts by PHIL PEARCE
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
A great loss. He was one of the great designers in this hobby.
May have to rearrange my present build queue of planes for Real Flight and put in one of his planes.
Fly_electric2 is offline Find More Posts by Fly_electric2
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Set aside a little time to work on a tribute Powerhouse for RF. Still a little rough, but getting there. No colors yet, but will post it to the KE swaps page with those of the original. Color schemes can be later edited by anyone who downloads the plane to their personal preference. The Powerhouse will come in two versions of power plant: the present electric one and with an ignition engine. There is sufficient information available to model the Forster 99. Information on the specifications of that engine would be appreciated. An example of the what will be needed is in the last picture.

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
Powerhouse

Glen Poole's full size Powerhouse with electric power. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:18 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,371 Posts
My Powerhouse with Forster .99 before a minor resto last year in pic, second photo in from the Sal Taibi Fun Fly posted on the SCAMPS FB page.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Jack, Leadchucker,

Nice looking planes! Could both of you post some more details on each of them,such as AUW, motor/battery/prop, and prop on the Forster? Some close up shots of the nose sections of each would also be appreciated.
Changed the elevator on RF Powerhouse, both on the visible model and physics, so it's now a better match to your planes. Also got a some good info from the nice people at Trexler on the profile shape of their wheels, so that will be corrected too.

Thanks