SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:23 AM
Joined Jul 2012
434 Posts
Discussion
My Hobby King Nightmare

I gave up RC flying about 10 years ago, back then I was into 3d flying, glow planes and foamies. Recently I started watching the flite test youtube channel and they gave me the buzz back as Im sure they have many others. I went and bought an ikarus shock flyer ect and put all cameras on with great success (couldn’t do that 10 years ago very easily)

One thing I never got into was helicopters but my father brought a coax home one day and I started to get a fix for it

I got my reflex flight sim out and found that I can easily also fly collective pitch helis in Mode 1 with some 3d, flying upside down etc

Anyways this is just to give a it of background really. As I fly mode one, mode one helicopters are pretty limited. (im from the UK) any time mode one came up It was at hobby king. So I figure hobby king sponsored flight test, they pretty much give the impression they are the number 1 hobby place. The website looks American and as far as I was aware I was buying from America. I couldn’t find a bad review anywhere.

I wanted to buy their mode 1 FBL100 but was out of stock so I went for a fixed pitch HK190(only came to 32 gbp with postage)

I waited 2 and a half weeks and nothing had turned up, their tracking number didn’t work anywhere but I thought 2-3 weeks from America was the usual. Of course I now realise they are a Chinese company. Anyways after 2 and a half weeks the FBL100 came into stock and Id had a particularly rubbish day at work as is most days, so I came to the conclusion of treating myself and stupidly bought the FBL100

After 3-4 weeks the HK 190 still had not turned up, so I try their online support who tell me 30 days is the usual delivery time (this is when I found out they weren’t US)

Makes me laugh actually because hobby king are sending me emails “last chance for Christmas” I ordered this start of November, anyone expecting to get anything from hobby king for Christmas will be rewarded with disappoint I assure you.

Anyway, Surprisingly the FBL100 turned up in 10 days! Ordered 3 weeks after the HK190 and it got here before. At this point I wasn’t bothered as the one I wanted had arrived. I had no Idea the disappointment I was about to endure. I should have left It in the box.

Iv learnt allot about helicopters, Pitch curves, gyros. So I charged up the FBL100, throttle up and I knew something was not right. Seems that the gyro and tail rotor were sending the controls crazy, It would not fly. There was no control. My hart sank

I cant find anything on hobby kings website about these things not working

So I searched on youtube for answers.

To my confusion, I found all these videos reporting the same Issue as mine:

Turnigy FBL100 gyro problem (0 min 54 sec)

FBL100 transmitter problem (1 min 30 sec)

Problem Turnigy FBL100 (1 min 7 sec)

FBL100 problem (1 min 6 sec)

Turnigy FBL100 swash plate problem (1 min 20 sec)

FBL100 transmitter problem (1 min 30 sec)

Faulty FBL 100 number 3... faulty main board installed (2 min 19 sec)

Turnigy FBL100 flip sur le côté, problème... (0 min 55 sec)

I didn’t understand why so many videos but no info or any help on hobbyking or elsewhere

Then I realised.

Hobby king replied to me “please send pictures or videos to provided email address and our technical staff will look at the issue”

At this point My heart sank even lower as I had realised this is what all the people above had gone through, they had clearly been screwed over as I am about to be. I started to ask them questions if anyone had received a fix from hobby king. It seems the majority some how got a reply from them and they sent them a new board/gryo in the post which is still not fixing the issue. By the time they have sent this to you (6 weeks or so) Its too late to open a paypal dispute.

my video I made
Turnigy FBL100 Not working out of the box (2 min 58 sec)

This has completely ruined the hobby for me once again. Im now 200 dollars spent with hobby king. 5-6 weeks in and the hk190 still not here. They have stopped responding to any query or email I send to them on their site.

Im not sure what its worth but I opened 2 paypal disputes for both items. I was instantly sent an email from hobbyking telling me to close them, but I told them Im not doing this. From what I can tell, paypal are my only option but I doubt I will get anything back. What do you think?

Its been a week with my paypal disputes and hobby king have not replied to any

I can escalate to Paypal but I doubt this will get any of my money back?

Iv bought all my hobby stuff off the internet, Never again will I deal with hobby king.

Hope someone can benefit from this, I have now learned that hobby king remove any negative comment placed on their website. Also the moment you open a paypal dispute they instantly delete your order history from their site, when you ask them why they did this they tell you to close your paypal disputes and they will put them back. Im guessing some people have had some success with these paypal disputes, Im not feeling confident however as Im not getting any responses 

What a joke of a company, I think I shall be giving up on this hobby for a second time!
Andyclayton is offline Find More Posts by Andyclayton
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:15 AM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
That sucks

But the good thing is, paypal disputes do work! That is why they are getting angry at you for opening it, they know they will always lose.

I'm fairly confident you will get a refund for the heli you didn't receive, but for the one you did get you may have to return it to get the refund. I guess it is up to you to decide if the return postage is worth it or not
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Jul 2012
434 Posts
I found so many defective videos of the model and the postage is 39 dollars. Where I come from if you send something broke, you have to pay to have it sent back. I beleive its the law actually. Its discusting what hobbyking are doing they need to be banned from trading
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyclayton View Post
I found so many defective videos of the model and the postage is 39 dollars. Where I come from if you send something broke, you have to pay to have it sent back. I beleive its the law actually. Its discusting what hobbyking are doing they need to be banned from trading
I agree that they are handling your situation poorly but I can't say that i'd wish them to be totally gone either. They have a lot of substandard items in their portfolio but you, as the consumer, need to do more research than what's on the vendors site. so you have to take a little blame also. You obviously didn't research the heli BEFORE you picked it up and i'm not putting you down for this. I have made the same mistake before and so do a lot of people.

I do hope you come to a resolution that makes you happy and this can be a wonderful hobby don't give up on it because of the things you have no control over. Once you get your money back, move on to a good heli and have some fun.
pmerritt is online now Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jul 2012
434 Posts
Thanks, I see where you are coming from, but If they are deleting negative posts on their site, It makes it very hard to find anything out, so many people giving them a good review as well, thats why I want to let people aware

its also important to note peoples youtube vids have only been popping up this month, theres plenty of vids of them working out there.

as i mentioned very hard to find any negative info about this, I did a lot of research before buying this heli I didnt just buy it. so if you can find a bad review reporting this same problem id gladly say you were right. Im not sure you can class youtube vids meant for hobby kings support centre only as a place you would look.

i do blame myself however, for believing theres decent people about, This is a hobby, its supposed to be something i thought everyone enjoyed. From my experience sellers get involved in this hobby because they have passion of the hobby themselves and want to share the joy with others. seems I am wrong

This company Is showing a history of sending out multiple defective models in my post. In my eyes this is fraud?
Last edited by Andyclayton; Dec 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Keep in mind FBL systems don't like being strapped. They usually go crazy because they work on a feedback loop and tend to overcompensate when held down.

The tail problem could be anything from bad wiring to a bad tail motor. You not flying the heli doesn't tell much, try to film it while you try to take off or something, strapped down makes it hard to diagnose the problem. Did you crash it?

Maybe we can help you fix it. I'm sure you will get through with HK but it will take a while.
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
This isn't your fault at all dude! How disappointing, I can imagine you were really excited to receive it and for it to be broken is really rubbish. And as for the other one just to never arrive. I feel hobbyking may have ruined your Christmas! Thank goodness you paid with paypal and at least have a bit of security there. I have seen on some of those other vids and it has been months for them with no solutions, and having to pay for new circuit boards themselves and for them sill not to work! Pretty heartbreaking!
heli.lover. is offline Find More Posts by heli.lover.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Jul 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
Keep in mind FBL systems don't like being strapped. They usually go crazy because they work on a feedback loop and tend to overcompensate when held down.

The tail problem could be anything from bad wiring to a bad tail motor. You not flying the heli doesn't tell much, try to film it while you try to take off or something, strapped down makes it hard to diagnose the problem. Did you crash it?

Maybe we can help you fix it. I'm sure you will get through with HK but it will take a while.
thats very kind of you, I did consider that this maybe the issue, as with these small helicopters they sometimes need a blast of power to get them off the deck, I did this and the thing just flips over, hand launching causes the same. the tail rotor did initially spin out of the box soon as you throttle up it just went on full blast and the things trying to rotate clockwise on the ground, I would not be suprised if it burnt out due to this, however only tried to get it working for about 30 mins, other users in the video also reported similar problems, The issues are inconsistant its almost like it could be a transmitter problem, If you dont apply throttle all controls work perfectly (tail rotor still does not move of course)

Its not taken a crash that would cause any issues, barely left the deck at all, I was very careful about this as i suspected there was an issue before I even flew it. Like I say, applying throttle caused the tail roter to apply fully.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:40 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyclayton View Post
thats very kind of you, I did consider that this maybe the issue, as with these small helicopters they sometimes need a blast of power to get them off the deck, I did this and the thing just flips over, hand launching causes the same. the tail rotor did initially spin out of the box soon as you throttle up it just went on full blast and the things trying to rotate clockwise on the ground, I would not be suprised if it burnt out due to this, however only tried to get it working for about 30 mins, other users in the video also reported similar problems, The issues are inconsistant its almost like it could be a transmitter problem, If you dont apply throttle all controls work perfectly (tail rotor still does not move of course)

Its not taken a crash that would cause any issues, barely left the deck at all, I was very careful about this as i suspected there was an issue before I even flew it. Like I say, applying throttle caused the tail roter to apply fully.
Yeah, if the tail went on full all the time there is something very wrong. I hope you get it fixed or replaced, even if it won't be on time for Christmas. I'm sure it will get sorted eventually, but be prepared to wait for a while. Good luck and happy holidays, anyway!
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
Yeah, if the tail went on full all the time there is something very wrong. I hope you get it fixed or replaced, even if it won't be on time for Christmas. I'm sure it will get sorted eventually, but be prepared to wait for a while. Good luck and happy holidays, anyway!
Thanks If I ever get my money back I will go MCPX, the amount i spent on both of these could have bought one from the UK. If not I think I will be leaving It, thanks for the advice and happy holidays
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2012
105 Posts
.. andy ... fbl-gyro-controlled servos never, never run as they should, if the heli is fixed at the bottom - like nearly in all the vids you showed... so forget the vids, the guys dont now, what they are doing (doing that with a bigger model can be dangerous...) ... the same with the tail rotor...

and launching per hand absolutely needs to initialize tx-rx at the bottom in horizontal position. did you?

and never, never touch the cyclic-pitch-stick of a fbl--gyro-controlled heli, before launching - this makes the heli tilting at the start... you did not?

maybe youve got a defect model, maybe hk ignores its customers (i had better experiences...) - but you cant blame the dealer if you cant handle the heli in the right way... this is not a toy, even if its sold as...

macem
macem is offline Find More Posts by macem
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Jul 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macem View Post
.. andy ... fbl-gyro-controlled servos never, never run as they should, if the heli is fixed at the bottom - like nearly in all the vids you showed... so forget the vids, the guys dont now, what they are doing (doing that with a bigger model can be dangerous...) ... the same with the tail rotor...

and launching per hand absolutely needs to initialize tx-rx at the bottom in horizontal position. did you?

and never, never touch the cyclic-pitch-stick of a fbl--gyro-controlled heli, before launching - this makes the heli tilting at the start... you did not?

maybe youve got a defect model, maybe hk ignores its customers (i had better experiences...) - but you cant blame the dealer if you cant handle the heli in the right way... this is not a toy, even if its sold as...

macem
yes I did all this, this heli is broken, the only reason its held down is because if you dont the blades hit the ground instantly and it flips, even novice on youtube who have never flown ad at least getting it in the air. This is the only way to show what the gryo is also doing when it lifts off (or should I say doesnt lift off). we have to use a stick because it bogs down and the blades catch your hands. As said iv been doing RC for some 20 years im not a novice here. I didnt buy this for a laugh or a toy, and actually if you have one its not sold as a toy, its in BIG letters. I struggle to understand how you can defend such poor service and ignorence.

im sure better experiences just mean that It worked when you received it. Try and use their "customer serivce" and see if you are still smiling.
Last edited by Andyclayton; Dec 15, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
105 Posts
sorry my friend, i dont want to affront you - perhaps my non-native-speaker-english sounds rougher as i want to...

i believe in your bad experiences, its a pity, for the heli is really good...

but some people try to handle a cp-heli (its completely different from jets and planes...) as a toy and blame the dealer for the failure... the little birds arnt a toy, even they are priced as...

and my experiences - yes i had a lot of them - with customer service at hk are o.k., not the fastest, but they did not ignore me - you must be aware of the discount store they are...

hope you come along with cp-helis despite of the fbl100, its a great hobby... perhaps you have a look for the all new "wltoys v922", its a lightliy improved clone of the turnigy fbl100 made by the same oem-manufacturer (benma) relabled for wltoys, producer of the most famous 100-size fixpitch-heli v911. and it looks a little bit better again...

macem
macem is offline Find More Posts by macem
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jul 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macem View Post
sorry my friend, i dont want to affront you - perhaps my non-native-speaker-english sounds rougher as i want to...

i believe in your bad experiences, its a pity, for the heli is really good...

but some people try to handle a cp-heli (its completely different from jets and planes...) as a toy and blame the dealer for the failure... the little birds arnt a toy, even they are priced as...

and my experiences - yes i had a lot of them - with customer service at hk are o.k., not the fastest, but they did not ignore me - you must be aware of the discount store they are...

hope you come along with cp-helis despite of the fbl100, its a great hobby... perhaps you have a look for the all new "wltoys v922", its a lightliy improved clone of the turnigy fbl100 made by the same oem-manufacturer (benma) relabled for wltoys, producer of the most famous 100-size fixpitch-heli v911. and it looks a little bit better again...

macem
I must apologise also because I just wanna enjoy my helicopter and I get frustrated.

I had seen people enjoy the helicopter I watched many videos and reviews and this is why I went for it, Just dissapointed i think. I see that the v911 came out, I should have waited longer. If I ever get a refund from hobby king I will persue, thanks
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,170 Posts
Learning to fly a helicopter is not easy, at least it isn't for me. I've spent a lot of hours on a simulator and still can crash one within seconds or minutes of takeoff. Have you checked out a Heli flight school? Here's one. http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-t...licopters.html

Good luck
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy