SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
Discussion
STARMAX 1600mm Cessna 182

After being sold for a while and then discontinued by Banana Hobby this Starmax plane is going to reappear at Hobby Lobby:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/starmax_c...41938_prd1.htm

I've never seen a thread discussing it.

I bought mine three months ago when BH apparently was closing them out at an unbelievably low price. I've got nearly 50 flights on it and find little to dislike - its heavy and only moderately powered but a very nice, smooth and stable flyer - and it's BIG!

Anyone else flying this plane?
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
As a fan of general aviation...I'm surprised I've not come across it either. The opeing doors are a cool feature. Maybe not exactly practical, but I can't think of another model that has 'em.

Please post pictures of your model of possible.
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Nov 2008
229 Posts
I have two of those from BH ..was $99 at the time (and free shipping)! I basically bought the second one for parts in case.

Was really impressed by how easy it was to fly once I got over its large size and the fear of crashing.

I think 249 is way too much though...let's hope BH brings it back
fbitz777 is online now Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:10 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
I got the same incredible deal from BH on mine - actually felt like I was taking advantage of them as the plane is clearly worth a lot more. HL's price is probably a little too high but I could easily see it selling for $180-190.
I did away with the "steerable" pilot and the servo operated doors - neither of these appealed to me and removing them saved some weight and complexity.

At 6.25 lbs RTF it's still quite heavy for its size. Lots of heavy plastic castings used here: entire cockpit and doors, wing struts and the four mounts, and the main gear strut covers are all heavy plastic. My larger 73" T/S foam Cessna actually weighs less.

Maybe because of its weight and higher wing loading, it is extremely stable and does very well in moderate winds. The flaps slow it nicely and it's easy to get very scale-looking landings. It gives the illusion of a real Cessna in flight when maneuvered with slow and gentle turns.

I didn't really have very high expectations when ordering it but decided to take a chance because of the deal offered. Glad I did as its a fine plane.
Last edited by dbc; Dec 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:34 AM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
I had this plane too but I've retired it.on the maiden flight it flew ok. The stock motor is to small. Mine was a little twitchy on the pitch control. One minute it would be flying ok, give up elevator and then it would be flip flopping. I ended up putting a 4250 580Kv motor from my Fms T28 and it flew much better with the heavier motor. I just ordered the TS 73 inch ws Cessna from pwrc so hopefully that will fly much better
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:07 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
Humm... Mine is a very stable flyer - no issues at all. It is rather low powered but it's still able to do mild aerobatics with the supplied power system.

I've been flying the 73" T/S for over a year now. It's power system draws almost exactly the same as this Starmax. The supplied motor is the same size in both planes.

The T/S is much floatier and it will fly much slower than the Starmax as it actually weighs less and has lots more wing area. I wouldn't say it flys better though - just much lighter feeling. The Starmax does much better with a little wind than does the T/S. I like them both.

Edit: I just saw your post in the T/S Cessna thread. That 46 motor is going to be way more than this plane was designed for. You'll see how light the motor mount, firewall, wing strut mounts and landing gear all are. It's going to require substantial reinforcing of those components to use that large a motor without risking frequent failures.
Last edited by dbc; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Humm... Mine is a very stable flyer - no issues at all. It is rather low powered but it's still able to do mild aerobatics with the supplied power system.

I've been flying the 73" T/S for over a year now. It's power system draws almost exactly the same as this Starmax. The supplied motor is the same size in both planes.

The T/S is much floatier and it will fly much slower than the Starmax as it actually weighs less and has lots more wing area. I wouldn't say it flys better though - just much lighter feeling. The Starmax does much better with a little wind than does the T/S. I like them both.

Edit: I just saw your post in the T/S Cessna thread. That 46 motor is going to be way more than this plane was designed for. You'll see how light the motor mount, firewall, wing strut mounts and landing gear all are. It's going to require substantial reinforcing of those components to use that large a motor without risking frequent failures.
I wont be using the stock motor mount. I figured the 46 size motor would be too long anyway so I have an adjustable motor mount I'm gonna use. The strut mounts will be beefed up along with the firewall. With the heavier motor and bigger battery, it shouldnt feel as light
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:02 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
Well, sure..... If you want to go make a number of modifications to the airframe to withstand more weight and power, then you can probably make it work. Don't forget to address the light aluminum main gear struts that can bend under the lightest flying weight.

I've had this debate with others on the T/S Cessna thread. You'll see it several pages back.
I contend that it was designed as a lightweight slow flyer and it looks absolutely magnificent when flown like this. Probably the most convincing illusion of realism I've ever seen for a Cessna ( and I've owned lots of them.)

It seems counterintuitive to add weight - and then power to handle the weight, when you can purchase a model that is appropriately designed to start with. But to each his own.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Well, sure..... If you want to go make a number of modifications to the airframe to withstand more weight and power, then you can probably make it work. Don't forget to address the light aluminum main gear struts that can bend under the lightest flying weight.

I've had this debate with others on the T/S Cessna thread. You'll see it several pages back.
I contend that it was designed as a lightweight slow flyer and it looks absolutely magnificent when flown like this. Probably the most convincing illusion of realism I've ever seen for a Cessna ( and I've owned lots of them.)

It seems counterintuitive to add weight - and then power to handle the weight, when you can purchase a model that is appropriately designed to start with. But to each his own.
Yeah I understand but I'm not really building a speed demon lol. I had a motor that I wasnt using so I figured might as well use it. The starmax cessna's motor felt kinda small and made the plane feel too light and when I switched the motor, it felt way better so I'm hoping that will be the case with the bigger Cessna.

I also have the FMS 1400mm Cessna and I also changed the motor to Tacon Bigfoot 25 and fly it with 4s batteries. Now it flies so much better with it being a little heavier, plus it still lands like a feather.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:02 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
Yours is a different approach than mine - but equally valid. I like to keep planes as light and simple as possible.

I've also got the 1400mm and 1000mm FMS Cessnas, the 1280mm Dynam and the 1200mm ST Models (Flyzone) Cessnas. I owned but sold the Art-Tech 500 Class and Durafly Cessnas. But it sounds like you might be a "Cessnaholic" too!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Yours is a different approach than mine - but equally valid. I like to keep planes as light and simple as possible.

I've also got the 1400mm and 1000mm FMS Cessnas, the 1280mm Dynam and the 1200mm ST Models (Flyzone) Cessnas. I owned but sold the Art-Tech 500 Class and Durafly Cessnas. But it sounds like you might be a "Cessnaholic" too!
Lol I love a scale Cessna. If it wasnt for my GF I would have a few more. I also have the Dynam version. When I got the FMS version I didnt realize it was so light. I dont like my planes feeling too light. The same can be said for the FMS 1400mm Zero. I added some mods and now its flies so much better with some weight to it.

Oh the FMS Cessna flies great. No bad tendencies at all
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:50 PM
Joined Nov 2008
229 Posts
I agree about keeping stuff as much as simple as possible

Where do you get the T/S...I see it at HK but doubt they'd ship it to the US at all.

Seems to my that the T/S is not as solid; I see much more foam and less plastic.

I have flown the 63" in very windy conditions and never felt in trouble like I would with a more floatie one.
fbitz777 is online now Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbitz777 View Post
I agree about keeping stuff as much as simple as possible

Where do you get the T/S...I see it at HK but doubt they'd ship it to the US at all.

Seems to my that the T/S is not as solid; I see much more foam and less plastic.

I have flown the 63" in very windy conditions and never felt in trouble like I would with a more floatie one.
The TS Cessna is available from the HK US warehouse, but it is back ordered right now. I got mine as a kit from pw-rc.com in Hong Kong. I got the last one they had in stock
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:53 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
HK usually has the T/S available from the USA warehouse - but I think they're out of stock on it right now.

The Starmax does have lots more plastic and it's heavier - I guess you could say its more "solid". The weight gives it higher wing loading and it does handle the wind better than the T/S.

The T/S flys beautifully and very realistically in calm conditions. It's lighter construction works fine when powered with a smaller 25 sized motor and a light 3300-4000 mah 4s battery. It will fly very slowly and land at a crawl with the flaps deployed.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
IDK man. A 25 size motor may be too small for that plane. Here is the Bigfoot 25 I put in my FMS Cessna compared to the stock motor

Also here is the maiden flight of my Starmax Cessna
Maiden flight of the Star Max 1600mm Cessna (6 min 35 sec)
Last edited by MrMention; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM.