HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:40 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
I will keep all posted on progress and flight reports... got a little bit done today waiting for the snow storm.

I added a balsa frame around the front to help with the hinging of the nose.. I will use the CA style hinge on the top and then most likely use a rare earth magnet on the bottom to hold close. Some of this might change with the new plug being made after the test flight.

To blend the glass and wood I put some filler in place.
patternpilot1 is offline Find More Posts by patternpilot1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:38 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
okay... on to glassing the wing... I'm guessing most will use a heat shrink film for this. for this proto/project platform we needed to glass the wing. We are keeping close tabs on the weight. As we already know we can save some more weight in the wing with some better balsa selection.

So I uses a piece of 3 oz glass cloth 2 inches wide on the seam from the center wing to the tip.

To help hold in place I used some 3M77 spray glue- old formula (from Canada) on the seam then also lightly misted the whole wing.

next the fun part... Not really..it is like a cat with peanut butter on it's paw...

I laid the 3/4 oz cloth in place and used a playing card to smooth out.. as normal, took me several attempts... that peanut butter on the paw

next was some West Epoxy and a started to pour and brush it, around the edges and the seam, which I wet all the way thru.

Next broke out the trusty foam roller, ( home depot) and rolled the epoxy around and made the wing almost dry, ( save weight and sanding) so I will trim the edges in the morning then do the top of the wing the same way and then move on to the next wing half.

I will check the weight again when all done and dry. then a light coat of primer and some white paint.

more photos.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:39 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
more pics....
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:21 AM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
Well the first wing half is done, needs a light sanding and on to the next wing half.

more later.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:41 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
Okay.. first half done.. had a few area's that needed filling,, wing is ready for a very light coat ( mist) of prime...

Worked on the second half tonight and waiting for epoxy to dry...

s.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:54 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
well second half of wing is done, just need a bit of sanding, then work on mounting the boom so the pushrods can be made. I'm making a slide in tray with the servos on it so it can be moved for cg. photos soon...

s.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:42 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
674 Posts
Looking good, still watching
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:01 AM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
Glad your watching I will be in the shop later today.. preping for the Ice storm we are going to get for the next few days...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:43 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
okay wing is all ready for primer now , will do that next week when we get out of the freezing temps. working on the drawings for the servo mount for rudder and elevator... will show photos of that soon....

s.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:54 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
Okay wing is all sanded and ready for prime.. will do that in morning as we will have some nice weather to paint outside... working on the servo tray now.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:38 PM
UAV Guy
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2012
210 Posts
Watching
UAVJOE is offline Find More Posts by UAVJOE
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:45 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
I bought some older Raven fiberglass body shells on Ebay....$29 each...I don't think they are the real thing but they look kinda old so they may be...Not sure but I upload some pictures later on them.
Asia Tech Drones is offline Find More Posts by Asia Tech Drones
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:09 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
My version will be a complete kit.. the boom and wing cores and the fiberglass body. hope to have more done today, got a call that a window is leaking at home from all the rain
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:00 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot1 View Post
My version will be a complete kit.. the boom and wing cores and the fiberglass body. hope to have more done today, got a call that a window is leaking at home from all the rain
Rain??? What rain? Someone left our Roof Access door open at work so we have a cool waterfall through the middle of the building

The build is looking great!

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:20 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
325 Posts
Chris,

So are scuba outfits part of the office issue..