SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:47 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
well, it looks like the DivBee satellite will have a hard case, and the servo output for the larger planes will be a more serious hard mountable pcb style thing...

...but for labels, for any I want to keep around, I just wrap 1" of transparent scotch tape around it and call it good.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:16 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
well, it looks like the DivBee satellite will have a hard case, and the servo output for the larger planes will be a more serious hard mountable pcb style thing...

...but for labels, for any I want to keep around, I just wrap 1" of transparent scotch tape around it and call it good.
im sure i missed where this was described...but what is the purpose of the satellite?
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:00 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
im sure i missed where this was described...but what is the purpose of the satellite?
basically separating the signal management from the servo output.

you've seen my 104 install with the Nanos up in the turtledeck and just the signal wires being connected?... well it sounds like this will be the norm for XPS receiver setups, the signal management will be separated from the servo output, and it will only need a single standard servo extension between the receiver satellite/snorkel/whatever (AKA: "Rx SSW" unit) unit and the servo output unit. So you can put the antenna in the best possible location, and the servo connections in the most convenient location.

The Nano can actually handle all 16 channels of input, so only one Nano will be needed even on the giant stuff if using these servo output/channel-expander boards... and in sexy fashion only one wire up to the Nano. When the DivBee version of the SSW unit arrives, then it will gain its superior range, ability to handle the telemetry stream, a plastic case, etc.

...and, even better... it means that a setup with a Nano as the SSW unit can be swapped out for a DivBee SSW if one needed to upgrade for telemetry or some reason without disturbing the servo output setup. I seriously love this whole pattern, totally superior.

Jim's mentioned that it could possibly even talk Futaba's SBus or Spek's module output... so a Futaba SBus receiver or a Spek module could take on the role of the SSW unit.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
cool, sounds interesting. cant wait to see these new products hopefully make it to market
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Not a product idea (well it actually sort-of is...) add to the website all of the possible configurations and setup instructions discussed in these forums. An expanded user manual if you will. Include stuff like the fact that you can't re-cover the nano in shrink tubing...at least not the portion between the antennae. Also, i would write up a thorough technical discussion of the product to dispel common misconceptions - e.g. nano antenna length.

XPS RX technology sells itself once the tech capabilities are explained.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:20 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
Noted, thanks for your input!
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:45 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
Not a product idea (well it actually sort-of is...) add to the website all of the possible configurations and setup instructions discussed in these forums. An expanded user manual if you will. Include stuff like the fact that you can't re-cover the nano in shrink tubing...at least not the portion between the antennae. Also, i would write up a thorough technical discussion of the product to dispel common misconceptions - e.g. nano antenna length.

XPS RX technology sells itself once the tech capabilities are explained.
My request is a little different. I had thought about a thread called XPS for Dummies.
Some of us may be modelers but we're really not that astute on things electronic. A manual written like the ones included by mainstream manufacturers might be helpful to those who want the best but might not understand what the heck Jim Drew is talking about.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:28 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2006
353 Posts
Ryan,
I agree. Most people don't need or understand the real technical details. What they actually use is a rather simple explanation they might remember. Difficult in most circumstances to even get someone to read the manual.

Take a look at advertisements. That is just about all that most people can understand and retain.

Any deeper explanation would just be for the few tech heads out there that do read manuals. Those people are the ones that explain it to the rest of the group and recommend the gear to the rest. They do need a reasonable explanation of the system.

However, many, many people will still only believe what they read in the advertisements.
skubacb is offline Find More Posts by skubacb
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:46 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,519 Posts
Well said
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:38 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Jim, I have another product idea: a full featured gear door sequencer in the $20-30 range that would do type 1 and 2 sequencing, have gear to gear delay, support servo speed commands from the radio or have it on-board the unit, and support from the radio or include on the board end point adjustments for the doors and even maybe for proportional servos.

The Jomar ($36) doesn't support or perform EPA, and the Assan($18) is wonky to use and does not support or perform on it's own servo speed. And the next price point up (jet something or rather) has crazy pricing. Think you could cook us up something - after Rxs and radio of course.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:05 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
I could use a Channel expander board to do that... just change the code.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:39 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
That would be great. I really think there is a market for that in that price range. Another nifty touch would be to include a separate power bus so that the user could run a separate RX battery or Bec for the retracts.

And, while I'm thinking about this, what would be totally bitchin' for the jet guys would be an integratable adjustable electronic air valve bus for tri-gear. Much neater install and more reliable.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:38 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
The channel expander has separate power inputs. I am a jet guy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:07 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Ah, Ok great. The warbird crowd, which includes me, would also really like you too for this type of product.

What jets do you have? Thinking of getting into turbines soon.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:24 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
Well, I have the fastest electric jet... actually two of them, one of which should be in the 260MPH range, the other was radar'd at 223.9MPH in a bad pass with dead batteries.. I have a Skymaster F-18, Graupner BAE Hawk, Skymaster F-15, Cermark F-16, Byron F-15, Byron F-86, Tom Cook F-4, Jet Legend T-45, Jet Legend F5, three Savex L-39s (one with Wren44, others with EDF), Habu-32, Habu, a bunch of little 50mm jets, and a dozen or so various turbine and EDF kits in boxes. I also have a few warbirds, and some 3D aircraft. For turbines I have a Graupner G160 and G80, Jetcat SX (160), Wren 44, and Lambert micro-turbine.
RCG Plus Member