HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:07 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
D, just make yourself a gravity feed setup for cutting cores. there's plans on here if you search them out.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:26 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Thanks Eric.

RCLander retracts.
According to the specs, they should be more than adequate for this model. Pretty beefy hardware.
Thanks Julian, those do look pretty beefy. I will be getting some to put in the Bobcat.

Eric B.
AirX is online now Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:37 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,647 Posts
Really interesting build Boogie , did you buy the plans or draw them up yourself?If you drew them up , how did you get the cross sections?
pencon is offline Find More Posts by pencon
Last edited by pencon; Jan 01, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:53 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,934 Posts
The top view plan is a 3-view I got off the web. The side view and cross section templates were drawn up by Eric a couple years ago. I had my local print shop re-size both of them to match each other.
For the airfoil I used Profili to print out templates of the NACA 1410.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:35 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,934 Posts
Got both wing cores cut out and couldn't resist setting them up to the fuse for a couple pics.

I was wrong about the first wing being a test cut. ...it took two.

The first try was a good cut but was just barely thick enough to fit the retracts in there. They fit ok, there was just not enough clearance for me. Any torquing from a bounced landing and I would possibly have dent in the wing skin.
So I wrapped the edges of both templates with 1/16 balsa and hardened them with CA. Then wrapped them with some copper foil tape I had left over from my slot track building days.

Worked like a charm. The wing is ⅛" thicker overall and the retracts fit comfy now.

On the second cut I screwed up my marks on the foam blank for spotting the templates.
Perfect cut, wing sweep all wrong.

Right now I'm debating whether or not to make the wings removable or make it a one piece airplane.
...any thoughts?

Julian
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:47 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
one word......................beauty!!!!!!
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:06 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Movin' along there Julian! Looks good man! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:54 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
J,

When its time to glass the fuse plug will you work the matting around the entire plug or will it be in stages? The wing cutting look good.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:20 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,768 Posts
You can use overlaps but once you start glassing the plug, don't stop until you have the entire layup done. If you let the epoxy cure, new epoxy doesn't like to stick to it. You would have to sand the entire plug if you let it cure.
When I get ready to start a layup, I make a full pot of coffee, open a fresh pack of cigarettes, and turn my phone off!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:52 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,934 Posts
Thanks guys.

Yep, once you start glassing, don't stop.

Have to back track a little on my plug.
I left out an important step that I've seen John do when shaping the plug. After I had the former stations cut out in the foam I started sanding the entire thing without having a hard template at the nose and tail.

I merrily sanded away too much and it's almost a " too small in circumference at the exhaust end, the nose is ok. That foam really sands easy. It's got a very nice shape to it but is just too small.
Made balsa templates and glued them to both ends and will add some more foam to the tail and sand it all smooth again. No biggie, just delays getting to the final lay up.

Julian
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:50 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,934 Posts
Not too much progress on the MiG.

We've had Louisiana snow (cold rain) down here for over a week. I've had filler on the fuse, wings and stabs for 3 days and they still weren't dry. Finally had some warm sun so I set them all out side today and they're all ready for sanding.

...forecast to be cold and rainy all next week too.

Julian
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,650 Posts
Hi J,

Looking good. I hope to see it at the spring flyin.

I am trying to get the T37 ready for the spring flyin, we will see how far I get by February.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:24 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,466 Posts
ahhh...so this is what you have been up to! I was kind of worried, at first. Then I saw your building a Morgan. That white stuff had me shakn'.

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:55 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
Boogie_ Definatly starting to take shape. Knowing the speed in which you build, it won't take you much longer. Once you get it air born, I am curious to see how that NACA 1410 airfoil works out. And if it doesn't, I will have time to select a different one for my build!
Mark
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,650 Posts
Yup boogies thread went quiet he must be busy...

Eric B.