to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:29 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Julian, have you started thinking about fan placement yet? On my Mig15 build, I had it too far back and hac to add a bunch of weight in the nose... Just thought I'd throw out the comment and experience.. Its looking good so far! W
Foremost on my mind Walt.
I'm planning on a split intake with the nose gear and batteries in between, similar to the CARF MiG 15 and the fan will be on mounting rails the same way I did my Cougar. This will allow for a lot of play getting the CG spotted.

Just ordered some retracts. Will have to wait until they show up before I start working on the wings.
I want to work out all the angled retract geometry before I start cutting the wing cores.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, WI, Mukwonago
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Looking forward

Julian,
Looking forward to your techniques on this one
dfsmith is offline Find More Posts by dfsmith
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Great start Julian,

You never see this jet made. Are you planning to split the fuse or build the formers in it as a whole fuse? John makes such incredible builds with this glass over plug.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
deffinitely subbed to this one Julian. are you gonna go with bifurcated ducts, or are you gonna go with an elliptical duct, like you were discussing on the other thread?
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:54 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
I picked up a flu bug Friday so I've been saving all my energy for just the essential stuff around the shop. ...one of the joys of being the Boss is going to work when your sick.

I did managed to do a little sanding on the fuse. One more mud and sanding session and I should be ready for the first layer of glass.

Jeff, I'm going to cut the glass off the plug and add formers.

As of now I'm going with the oval exhaust. But I've got an idea for doing a more scale like splitter.
We'll see. This fuse is huge, the exhaust area for the 90mm is way smaller that what I'm gonna have back there at the tail.

J
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:30 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
What size? ...big ...maybe too big for a 90.
The fuse itself is 56" (62" nose to fin) and a wingspan of 45". I can keep the scale intake at this size as it is large than the FSA.
This one will be plenty big enough to have retracts and handle our grass field.

Using an HET fan and Typhoon 700-68-1680 motor on 8s - 9s.

I was checking out an 8s set up for another project, and one Emile used looked good.

Re: HET 700-68-1680 /JetFan 90
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Mark,
I'm using 1,5 year old Turnigy Nanotech 4s5000 (45c/90c) 2x.
This setup pulls about 110amps at 3,25KW.
It's hard to say how much thrust it generates.
Inflight the Jetfan produces visibly more then shown in the graphs of ejets. I experience similar in my Habu.
A HET 700-68-1500 on 8s would be enough for good flight performance but for grass takeoff more power is welcome
His L-39 came in at 11lbs. I don't know how the Het/JetFan compare, just an idea of what you could expect with this.

Courious as to what total weight cloth per sqyd you will go with? On my F-86F, not knowing any better I went with 3-layers of 3.7oz for a total of 11.1 oz per sqyd. Doing it over again I would only use 2-layers of heavier cloth. cold have save a bunch of weight. My fuse was 63" long and came out to a hair over 30oz. At a guess, you could come out with somewhere in the lower 20oz's with yours. Will be along for the ride!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:31 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
J,

Looks like it is going to be the same size as the Tiger. When I do my next project I will try splitting it top to bottom instead of down the middle. It has been really difficult placing all the stuff that goes in an EDF on this one. I have been looking over BVM fuse access hatches and really like how it’s done. The Tiger is back on the bench an ready for more assembly.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,464 Posts
Hey Julian if it was me I'd skip the paint and just cover the 19 with riveted aluminum panels .I just started back on my Mig 21 and its a combo of aluminum tape and .005 aluminum from K&S hobby and some pop can AL .Then again , I cover pretty much everything with aluminum .. No matter how you finish your project I'm sure it'll look very cool and completely original .
pencon is offline Find More Posts by pencon
Last edited by pencon; Dec 28, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:26 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,061 Posts
I want more mig-19

D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Yeah, me too!!

I thought I was going to have time to work on it at the shop during the short week after Christmas. It's usually dead this time of year but I was hoppin' Wed, Thurs & Fri.
Hopefully I can get going on it tomorrow. Bad weather forecast down here all week, that usually slows business down a little.

My retracts came in Wed, so now I have all the hardware and materials on hand to finish the MiG.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:30 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Was able to get a wing core cut out today.
This is actually more of a test wing core. It may wind up getting hacked up as I try to get the angled retract geometry worked out.
IF the wing is even thick enough out there in the middle where the retract needs to mount. According to my figgerin' it should be.

I spent most of the afternoon cycling the gear up and down figuring out where exactly they needed to be mounted and how much I would have to angle the mounts to have the wheel oriented correctly when extended.

I know there is a formula to figure this out, but you got to remember I got my edumacation in Louisiana. I do better working it out right in front of me.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:25 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,574 Posts
Hi Julian,

The core looks good, much better than my latest wing for the T37.

What retracts did you get, I looked back but could not find it in the posts.

Happy New Year,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:27 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Thanks Eric.

RCLander retracts.
According to the specs, they should be more than adequate for this model. Pretty beefy hardware.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:37 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,061 Posts
+1 those are some stout e-tracts. i really need to make a bow for wings, im hot wiring all mine from stations 4in wide atm.
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet