SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
New Product
Taurus Sailplane Kit

Hi everyone I'm JR with RC Sailplane Kits,

I wanted to introduce myself and let you know that myself and my friends, Jack and Dustin, have started a small business making sailplane kits locally, here in the USA!

We've taken a lot of time developing this new plane and have tried to address some of the issues we've found in this industry for a long time which is: Instructions that are hard to read/follow/understand as well as the fear for beginners to jump into building their first kit.

I just wanted to let people know that we are very excited about this project and hope you all take a look and ask any questions you might have and give our new glider a look!

Find our Taurus beginner sailplane kit here!

Thanks again and feel free to contact me with any questions at JR@rcsailplanekits.com or you can get involved with our blog here.
RCSailplaneKits is offline Find More Posts by RCSailplaneKits
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,871 Posts
Look's like a Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady knock off. And by the way there instruction booklet was one of the best for the time.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:26 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
I was thinking the same thing... and I could get two for the same price.
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Last edited by UberZogster; Dec 14, 2012 at 04:31 AM. Reason: more
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:18 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,394 Posts
What airfoil are you using?
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:47 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Really?
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:37 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,221 Posts
From their blog:

"Itís Christmas time and if you havenít seen our Taurus glider kit for sale, now is the time to take a closer look. As you know, we are updating the website constantly with new information that will help you understand why our glider kit is such a great value and one that youíll enjoy for years.

Here are some of the high points:

1.Our sailplane is an upgrade from the very popular Gentle Lady plane because its stronger and lighter
2.Our kit is easier to put together
3.Our instructions for building the kit are more comprehensive and intuitive because they were scrutinized by beginner model builders
4.We build the glider kits to order, and they are built within days of your order being placed so there is no waiting
5.Its affordable. If you look around at what is out there, youíre going to find sailplane kits that are going for twice our price tag!
If we havenít convinced you yet to give the Taurus Sailplane Kit a try, keep checking back with us to see more testimonials, videos, and news articles. Now is the season to build so you will be ready for that first nice day in spring to launch!

Sailplane flying is a hobby we enjoy and are helping others to discover. Please drop a note in the comments if you have any questions about the glider kit or how to order.

Happy soaring!

Jack"

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:11 AM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
Although it shares a resemblance to the Gentle Lady, the actual specs on it are quite different when it comes to weight and wing area. For example:

Taurus
Wing Span: 77in
Wing Area: 733sq in. (10% more wing area)
weight: 21 oz. (15% lighter)

Gentle Lady
Wing Span: 78in
Wing Area: 663sq in.
weight: 25 oz.

This sailplane is really meant for beginners who are looking to fly it in low winds and reasonable speeds that make it great for someone who is just starting out in the hobby. It's a standard flat bottom airfoil style.

Thanks for your comments and let me know if you have anymore questions!

JR
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:52 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSailplaneKits View Post
This sailplane is really meant for beginners who are looking to fly it in low winds and reasonable speeds that make it great for someone who is just starting out in the hobby. It's a standard flat bottom airfoil style.

That can be said for the Gentle Lady too. I think that even with the lighter weight and more wing area people will still lean towards a gl. I say this because your plane looks like a gl, seriously I look at the picture and think Gentle Lady. Your plane is also quite a bit more money. I can get a Gentle Lady locally for $50 out the door which is $67 cheaper than yours shipped.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the way I'm looking at it you are priced over double that of your closest competitor. The Gentle Lady also has a proven track record going for it.
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,871 Posts
Wasn't the Taurus some kind of powered model way back when? Maybe a pattern ship.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:17 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
Wasn't the Taurus some kind of powered model way back when? Maybe a pattern ship.

Yes

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=612

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
Ok, round #2, we didn't get the great feedback that we originally wanted so we went back to the chalk board, talked about what we really wanted to do, and decided to go down a different route. Hopefully the reception we get this time is better Let me know what you guys think of the site now. http://www.rcsailplanekits.com

p.s. If you think something can be improved, let me know, I want to make this something that people WANT to use and find helpful. Constructive of course please, don't just bash me

~JR
Last edited by RCSailplaneKits; Feb 19, 2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add a ps
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:49 PM
So. Cal
Joined Jan 2005
138 Posts
Do you remember the movie Big, with Tom Hanks, when he is sitting in front of the toy company execs watching the other guy demonstrate the robot building and then raises his hand, with a hesitation, and then says, "I don't get it"?

Not sure where you are going with the website? Are you a retailer selling through Amazon? Those are common planes that most beginners will just buy at the local hobby stores.

Just my initial impression upon my first view.
TOSSPilot is offline Find More Posts by TOSSPilot
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
We want to be informative with our blog posts (I know we don't have many yet...it's a work in progress) and offer a range of products that beginners might be looking for. I guess this is the wrong area to ask because 90% of the people reading this probably aren't beginners. As we go, we are going to post more informational blogs and even try to do some videos that beginners might find helpful.
Our target audience is someone that wants to get into the sport, not someone that has been flying for 5-10 years.
90% of all purchases start with research online, now, that doesn't translate to 90% of purchases, but it's certainly climbing, so your comment about most beginners will just buy at the local hobby shop is not quite accurate in my opinion, and the research agrees. In fact, more and more people will buy it online now a days. I am glad you posted, TOSS. I will think on how to be more obvious in our intent of the website. Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:07 AM
So. Cal
Joined Jan 2005
138 Posts
I was going to suggest that you provide some more background on your business plan so it would put the website in context.

The general feel of the site is similar to those other sites that are selling goods but do not have a "connective feel". Maybe add more personalized content about you and your goals? Whenever I see websites that appear as a type of front for other retailers, like amazon, I usually move on. Again, just the feel that I got when I clicked on it.

Most clubs struggle with maintaining updated beginner material. If you truly build a website with outstanding information for a beginner, maybe clubs could just drop a link in their beginner sections to your website.

Just a thought.

Best of luck.
TOSSPilot is offline Find More Posts by TOSSPilot