HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2003, 02:39 PM
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
208 Posts
Alert
SLOW STICK AP PILOTS, Spec Check!

Slow Stick Pilots,

Since the GWS Slow Stick is hands down the de facto platform of choice for AP photos (based on the # of threads of the forum), I went out and purchased one along with the recommended GWS flight pack.

I have successfully shot AP pictures with my glow, but wanted to expand the areas where I can launch, take photos, and recover.

I took my slow stick up this AM for a check out flight, no cam on-board. WHAT A DOG! She flew for all of 3 minutes, and never gained more than 75 feet in altitude! Uggghhh! I know my set-up is the problem because many of you have taken awesome photos at 500-750 feet. And that is with the Pencam payload. We talk a lot about camera configs, but I see little on what motor, battery, etc people are using with their slow stick. So please post your specs so I can figure out my problem.

Here are my specs:

Motor: Stock EPS300C
Battery: GWS 7.2 Volt, 400 maH
Servos: (2) GWS Mini Standard
Speed Controller: GWS ICS100
Prop: Stock 11"
LuftAdler70 is offline Find More Posts by LuftAdler70
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2003, 03:09 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,841 Posts
Your batteries, bump them up to 8 cells and increase your mah by 2-3 fold.
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Dec 14, 2003, 03:11 PM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,097 Posts
Looks to me like your battery may be the problem. Only 400mAh? It'll probably only be good for delivering a couple of Amps at best. Suggest you browse or search this forum to find what batteries most are using - 7 or 8 KAN 950 cells seem to be fairly popular and will be able to deliver more power and much more duration than your existing pack. This 'upgrade' alone should enable your model to fly fairly well as standard, but you may also want to consider a motor upgrade if your camera setup is going to weigh more than a couple of ounces. Brushless isn't strictly necessary, but the extra power can be useful at times and you'll also find the reduced maintenance a bonus.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Dec 14, 2003, 03:28 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,155 Posts
My SS at this point is still stock as far as the motor goes - did the same as you originally (7.2V pack) with the same results... Went to Wal-Mart, got some AAA and AA NiMH - made a multitude of 7 and 8 cell packs... Upgraded the motor wiring as well... Works much better... Search Tucson on parkflyers for alot of recent pics from DaveWCO and myself...

If you happen to be in Tucson on the 21st, a few eZoners are getting together at Naylor Middle School (Columbus just S of 22nd St) about 10:30... My SS and DaveWCO's SS (Astro brushless & Li-Poly set-up) and I'm sure a few other SS's will be there to see... Bring yours along as well to fly - lower altitude might help - if you haven't gotten around to upping the bat volts...

Santa supposed to be bringing me an Aiptek - got an EPS-400C BB E-gear for it to swap on the SS... Maybe next fiscal year will budget BL and LP...

Kevin
Watt Noise?
wattnoise is offline Find More Posts by wattnoise
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:04 PM
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
208 Posts
I just rigged one of my NIMI 7.2 volt 900mah Aerobird Challenger batteries to connect to the SS. Will this give me the power and endurance I am looking for?

Kevin,
Next weekend I have to wtach the kids while the wife goes to Tucson to finish her Xmas shopping. I will take you up on that offer the next time you guys plan a get together!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:10 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,841 Posts
Your endurance will increase but your voltage/power will stay the same.
Actually, your power will be slightly less with the added weight from the bigger cells.
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:48 PM
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
208 Posts
What a difference 500 mah makes! The slow stick took off like a bat out of hell. I took her vertical on one occasion! I flew for at least 10 minutes without thottle management. I think I am ready to tote that pencam now.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 07:47 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
I highly recommend you upgrade to a S400 motor. It's a cheap upgrade, but it will give you more power and last longer than the stock 300. For tooling around without the camera, this mod really isn't necessary. But you may find yourself flying in riskier spots when you are taking photos, and you will want the added power and reliability.

Your mileage may vary, but I burned up 4 of the stock 300 motors using 8 cells before I finally went brushless.

You won't likely burn one up as quickly since you are using 6 cells, but you may want the added power 8 cells and S400 can give you for hauling the cam quickly up to altitude.

And you may want to adjust your numbers:

"I know my set-up is the problem because many of you have taken awesome photos at 500-750 feet."

For many of us, that's 1,500 feet and up.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Dec 14, 2003, 09:30 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
SS Power

LuftAdler70,

I am flying the SS with the stock motor still. I quickly bought a Thunder Power 2100 that is listed at 7.4 volts. It has had the power to get the plane up, carry the camera, and get the plane out of jams when extra power is needed to get clear of those famous "pop-up obstickles."

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:53 PM
Training Mode. aka: crash
Sacramento, CA
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
Re: SLOW STICK AP PILOTS, Spec Check!

Quote:
Originally posted by LuftAdler70
Slow Stick Pilots,

Since the GWS Slow Stick is hands down the de facto platform of choice for AP photos (based on the # of threads of the forum), I went out and purchased one along with the recommended GWS flight pack.

Here are my specs:

Motor: Stock EPS300C
Battery: GWS 7.2 Volt, 400 maH
Servos: (2) GWS Mini Standard
Speed Controller: GWS ICS100
Prop: Stock 11"
That's what I'm flying.. which has my Aiptek 1.3mp Pencam attatched to the side..

my specs are:
-----------------
motor = EPS350c
Batteries =
1) GWS 7.2v 270MaH ni-cd 6cell (good for about 10 min.)
2) GWS 8.4v 730MaH NI-MH 7 cell (good for about 15 min.)
3) Generic 1600MaH NI-MH 6 cell AA (haven't flown long enough, but a bit too heavy)
Servos = Pico (borrowed from E-starter)
ESC = Pixie 20p
Stock prop = 10x4.7
Custom front wheels
Reinforced top leading edge of wing w\spar 3/4 across.

Needs: Must reinforce front Landing gear. Too springy\flexible.
Brucester is offline Find More Posts by Brucester
Old Dec 15, 2003, 07:09 AM
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
208 Posts
Quote:
For many of us, that's 1,500 feet and up. [/B]

Ahhhhh! Steve your killing me!
Old Dec 15, 2003, 04:32 PM
Training Mode. aka: crash
Sacramento, CA
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
What Brushless motor would be good for the SS..? what else is needed if I go brushless..?
Brucester is offline Find More Posts by Brucester
Old Dec 15, 2003, 04:42 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
SLOW STICK

"What Brushless motor would be good for the SS..? "

I'm interested in that answer too.

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Dec 15, 2003, 04:57 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
People are all over the place with this one.
We've got Slow Sticks sporting Hacker B20 15L and 26S, Mega's, Razors, and MiniAC's, Astro 010's, and 020's.

The most common are the Razor 350 and 400, and the miniAC 1215/16.

Both the Razor and MiniAC can drop right into a GWS gearbox with little modification. The miniAC requires the pinion gear to be drilled out.

I use the miniAC and a VMGM planetary 6:1 gearbox. Screws right onto the GWS mount, no mods needed. You can also just zip tie the motor to the front end. Works great.

Nice thing about brushless is the added power, efficiency, and longevity. These babies won't burn out on you.

I use the Phoenix 25 ESC, hard to beat.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Dec 15, 2003, 08:43 PM
jmh
Whitewright, Tx.
Joined Aug 2002
392 Posts
I also use the miniAC 1215/16 with the VMGM 6:1 planetary gearbox, powered with a KAN 1050 Mah Nimh battery. With this combination, I have had no trouble carrying my Mini PenCam and Casio altimeter to some pretty impressive altitudes. You can't go wrong with a good brushless power system. jmh
jmh is offline Find More Posts by jmh