HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
Hell-Flyer
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
Just wondering. Has anyone flown theirs yet? Or finished building? I'm eager to hear how it goes. Best of luck!

~B
BlackNightBravo is offline Find More Posts by BlackNightBravo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:10 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Weighed my wing panels this morning and found the right panel 15 grams heavier than the left. Not too bad I guess. Thanks for the tip, I will be doing a lateral balance after I finish the build.

While I was weighing the panels, I did find that the aileron on the left wing panel had begun to seperate from the wing along the hinge line starting at the wing root in the area of the control horn. This could have cause some control issues but I found a quick fix. I used some Shoe Goo to reattach the seperated section. I put a small amount in the gap, pushed the aileron back toward the wing, wiped off the excess Shoe Goo and let it set up overnight. This morning it was gooder than new!

Now back to work on the build.

McD

That happens with Foam products..No Issues though..That i've ever encountered with Foam wings..
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:41 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
787 Posts
Subscribe
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:03 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNightBravo View Post
Just wondering. Has anyone flown theirs yet? Or finished building? I'm eager to hear how it goes. Best of luck!

~B
I'm in the final stages of assembly. Finished the motor and elevator installation and working on the ailerons and rudder.

Tested the motor at full throttle for two minutes without any problems (only slight warming of wires). This is a tougher test than flying, as the current drops about 3A immediately the model gets up to speed.

We've got snow and wind today but Friday may be a good day for test flying -- temp -7C, sunny and wind about 10 km/hr.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Mine is set to arrive on Saturday. Looking forward to getting it built and flying off of the snow. Any idea how long it takes an "average" builder to put it together?
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:00 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,549 Posts
I'm assuming it's pretty common for the motors and servos to arrive before the airframe if shipped at the same time?
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
I'm assuming it's pretty common for the motors and servos to arrive before the airframe if shipped at the same time?
Please send me a PM and we can figure out your shipping.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:53 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
Mine is set to arrive on Saturday. Looking forward to getting it built and flying off of the snow. Any idea how long it takes an "average" builder to put it together?
I expect to fly later today, weather permitting. I will have spent maybe 5-6 hours, but I wasn't very efficient and was taking pictures and notes. Also, it was Christmas and we had visitors. I think 3-5 hours might be normal.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:58 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I expect to fly later today, weather permitting. I will have spent maybe 5-6 hours, but I wasn't very efficient and was taking pictures and notes. Also, it was Christmas and we had visitors. I think 3-5 hours might be normal.
I hope you'll have your camera with you good luck with the maiden
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:22 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,669 Posts
We have discovered a little problem with the rudder push rod installation on some of the Polaris Ultra kits. It seems that when they glued the fuselage halves together, some glue oozed into the channel for the push rod.

The key when inserting the push rod is to keep it nearly parallel with the fuselage (see photo). If you insert it at too steep of an angle, it will get out of the channel and end up where it doesn't belong. If it hits an obstruction, this is most likely excess glue. By twisting and pushing the push rod, it will eventually break through the glue. You may have to push quite hard to get it through. There may still be some binding of the push rod even after it breaks through. The solution is to apply some light oil (like 3 in 1 oil) to the push rod and re-insert it.

This only applies to kits shipped prior to 12/26/12. We are checking all the remaining kits and correcting the issue as needed.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Scott
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:31 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,265 Posts
Ultra Flies!

I managed to get in one test flight this afternoon and Ultra performed beautifully.

I was flying off fresh, soft snow on a beautiful sunny day. Temperature was -7C and the wind was very light.

I was using a 2200 3s battery and 8x6 three blade prop. Performance was similar to the XL with the same power setup, which is not surprising, as at 36oz the weight was about the same. Next time, I'll try 4s.

Ultra handles very nicely, though I have to get the controls tuned just right, as right now it has plenty of aileron but not quite enough elevator on low rate.

I still have some work to do to finish the installation (like a hatch on top and the cowl on the motor) but I'm very pleased with the test.

Video to come a bit later.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,669 Posts
Quote:
I managed to get in one test flight this afternoon and Ultra performed beautifully.

I was flying off fresh, soft snow on a beautiful sunny day. Temperature was -7C and the wind was very light.

I was using a 2200 3s battery and 8x6 three blade prop. Performance was similar to the XL with the same power setup, which is not surprising, as at 36oz the weight was about the same. Next time, I'll try 4s.

Ultra handles very nicely, though I have to get the controls tuned just right, as right now it has plenty of aileron but not quite enough elevator on low rate.

I still have some work to do to finish the installation (like a hatch on top and the cowl on the motor) but I'm very pleased with the test.

Video to come a bit later.
Glad to hear you got to fly her Nigel! I'm looking forward to seeing the video.

Not quite sure what you mean about the hatch though.

Scott
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
Glad to hear you got to fly her Nigel! I'm looking forward to seeing the video.

Not quite sure what you mean about the hatch though.

Scott
I just didn't put the hatch on the nacelle yet.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:44 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,608 Posts
Quote:

WOO HOO!! Glad to hear it, D66. Looking forward to seeing the video!
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,057 Posts
OK, so I guess my fat fingers have gotten the best of me. I broke the ply elevator servo mount 3 times fitting my HS-65HB servo and CA'ed it back together 3 times. When I tried to fit it in the nacelle, it rubbed the motor wires and the elevator pushrod looked like a dogs hind leg before I could get it to operate without dragging.

With apologies to Scott, I just did not like that installation. I finally took the servo and mount out of the pocket and mounted the servo through the lower left side of the nacelle. I used hot melt glue to secure the servo. Now I have plenty of room for all the wiring and the elevator pushrod is a straight shot. Servo electronics are all CorrosionX coated and the servo output shaft has a healthy coat of Vaseline to seal it up.

I know one of the most endearing things about the original Polaris was that it was always being modified to fit each individual owners needs. In that vein, I have included some pictures of my elevator servo mod for your consideration.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28