HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:37 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
First flights off water this morning. I was a little surprised at how windy it was early. The water had a decided light chop but I had been waiting all week to fly off water ... soooo ... in she went!

The Polaris Ultra was quite quick to get on step but the wingtips kept catching the little waves and making BIG splashes. Twice the wing/waves spun the aircraft enough that I chopped the throttle but she tracked straight on the third run and was airborne. Lotsa fun banking her around so my daughter could shoot some photos and the landing was so easy. Unfortunately, I lost the white, plastic belly guard. Grrrrr! I think it must have gotten jarred loose on the takeoff(s)? I had attached it with quite a few strips of double-sided tape and it had been fine off grass. Hey Scott, any chance you could get Tim to include some spares with the next container? I think it might be a worthwhile spare part to have available. I know I am interested in buying one or two now.

Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:30 PM
United States, MA, Oxford
Joined Sep 2009
229 Posts
I subscribed to this thread a month ago when I stumbled across it. It's only a matter of time before I pull the trigger, and get this plane. Have to sell the wife on this one first. built a couple this winter and she bought me a Bucker Jungman for x-mas.

Honey doesn't this plane look great, and it flies off the water, and land, plus it uses the same size batteries that I all ready have.

By the way great pictures!
jt182 is online now Find More Posts by jt182
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:30 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Unfortunately, I lost the white, plastic belly guard. Grrrrr! I think it must have gotten jarred loose on the takeoff(s)? I had attached it with quite a few strips of double-sided tape and it had been fine off grass.
I used double sided tape and for security put a strip of clear packaging tape across the front. I haven't tried it off water (the liquid variety), just snow, but I expect it will prevent the plastic pulling loose.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:27 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
In hindsight, that sounds like a very good idea. A piece of tape across the front should seal the edge down and prevent water from getting in there and levering it off.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:24 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Why not glue the bottom plastic piece on? Is there a reason to use tape that I'm not seeing?
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:51 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
No reason not to glue it. I just used Scotch Permanent double sided tape on my prototype and it held well on land but appears marginal on water, even though I have a few flights off water with it.

Epoxy or spray adhesive are other options but you need to figure out a way to hold it down during the cure process because tape will remove the paint finish.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:54 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Bajora, I will request some extra plastic belly plates on the next reorder. I am sure Tim at RC Lander can supply them.

Scott
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:21 PM
charlotte, nc
Joined Sep 2003
193 Posts
Ultra Polaris at SEFF

I'm taking my Ultra to SEFFand I bet Gatorb8 is too. Wouldn't a video of a formation landing be cool?

Joe
bluebird is offline Find More Posts by bluebird
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:32 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
Bajora, I will request some extra plastic belly plates on the next reorder. I am sure Tim at RC Lander can supply them.

Scott
Much thanks Scott. I will place an order whenever you get that second container in. Another item that ran through my mind, and you may not agree with me, but is there any merit in a plastic nose cone to offer a little extra protection and reinforcement to, say, the first couple inches of the nose? If it was made of the same material as the motor nacelle cowl, that would be swell. Another option would be the same material as my sunken belly pan but perhaps that thickness would of material be too much?! Anyhow, just a thought.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:59 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
I'm taking my Ultra to SEFFand I bet Gatorb8 is too. Wouldn't a video of a formation landing be cool?

Joe
Pecan Patch and I will have our Polari at SEFF also. Let's set a time and day for our "Squadron" flight. Maybe we can get Bildo to video it for us.

On the topic of a Polaris Ultra Wish List --

Would it be possible to get the motor cowl molded out of a heavier gauge plastic?
Mine disentegrated after a high speed dive . Maybe you could include a few spares in your next order?

Belly Pan Attachment --

I used Scotch Super 77 spray adhesive to attach mine. I masked the outside edges of the pan to prevent any overspray on the outside of the pan. I then sprayed the inside of the pan, let it dry for a minute, then carefully attached it to the hull starting at the step and working my way forward. I've had my Ultra in the water a number of times and the pan is still securely attached.

http://3m.hillas.com/c-992-3m-super-...FY6PPAodIVsAag

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Mar 05, 2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:33 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
I couldn't stand it anymore.... between Scott's most excellent support by listening to his customers and being VERY active in this thread and Jon's beautiful HD pictures, I just ordered me a Polaris. Can't wait 'till it gets here!!

Now I have to dig back through the thread and see what props people were running on the 3s pack, as I forgot to check to make sure I had one before I ordered. Okay, I see it's an APCe 8x6 or a MA 8x6x3. I'll look in the shop at lunch. Scott, if I don't have a prop would it be possible to throw one in the box before it ships? Paying for it of course. I'll report back in an hour or so.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:53 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I couldn't stand it anymore.... between Scott's most excellent support by listening to his customers and being VERY active in this thread and Jon's beautiful HD pictures, I just ordered me a Polaris. Can't wait 'till it gets here!!

Now I have to dig back through the thread and see what props people were running on the 3s pack, as I forgot to check to make sure I had one before I ordered. Okay, I see it's an APCe 8x6 or a MA 8x6x3. I'll look in the shop at lunch. Scott, if I don't have a prop would it be possible to throw one in the box before it ships? Paying for it of course. I'll report back in an hour or so.
Temptation finally won!!!

I can throw a 3 blader in the box. I'll wait to hear from you.

Scott
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:57 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
Quote:
Temptation finally won!!!

I can throw a 3 blader in the box. I'll wait to hear from you.

Scott
Yes it did! I couldn't stand it any longer!

I checked my box 'o props at lunch and I do have an APCe 8x6. But no 3-blade... the only one was a 10x7x3 which would be a wee bit too big. Would you mind sticking a MA 8x6x3 in the box, please? Can you just charge my card for the prop or do I need to do a separate transaction? Thanks!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:31 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Yes it did! I couldn't stand it any longer!

I checked my box 'o props at lunch and I do have an APCe 8x6. But no 3-blade... the only one was a 10x7x3 which would be a wee bit too big. Would you mind sticking a MA 8x6x3 in the box, please? Can you just charge my card for the prop or do I need to do a separate transaction? Thanks!
Check your PM box.

Scott
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:37 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
Quote:
Check your PM box.

Scott