HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:16 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
The weather finally settled down here in Texas late this afternoon so I took my Ultra out in the front yard for a little float flying. Wow, this plane flies better and better every time I take it out! I wish I had charged up 20 batteries instead of just 2.

Thanks again to all the folks that made the Polaris Ultra possible. This is one fine flying machine.

Mcd
You're welcome kingsflyer!

Unfortunately in my front yard we have rain/snow, wind, and 32 degrees!

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:21 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,456 Posts
I've got that minus the wind so I just flew my regular polaris.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:59 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,063 Posts
I was just about to succumb to the urge to buy this but I stopped short when I got to the shipping. I hate to complain but jeeeez, $25 is awfully expensive to ship from OH to NC. Is the box freakishly large?
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:10 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,796 Posts
A few more flights and a few more photos ...

It is a pretty decent sized box Mike.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:02 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I was just about to succumb to the urge to buy this but I stopped short when I got to the shipping. I hate to complain but jeeeez, $25 is awfully expensive to ship from OH to NC. Is the box freakishly large?
If it makes you feel better, just pretend the model is $159.95, then shipping is only $15...

Seriously, think of total cost only and don't get hung up on how it's divided. Either it's worth it to you or not. But I will say it's a great looking model, the extra size over the Polaris is nice, and you won't be disappointed if you get it. Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:29 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,983 Posts
Quote:
It's pretty big! Look at the model -- only the wing panels and stab are separate. I thought the price to northern NY state was reasonable -- less than I expected.

It's worth it!
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Feb 28, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:33 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
7,063 Posts
I don't have a problem paying for shipping but I was a little surprised when I saw the $25 figure. I assumed the box must be large. And I guess it's no different than when I ordered the F/A-18E from Hobby Lobby and they tacked on an oversize charge of $25 and it was only shipping one state over (TN to NC).

I just get cautious when it comes to money because my hobby money is limited. I'm not really complaining because I enjoy a workshop full of airplanes, helicopters, quadcopters, and FPV equipment. It's just that my hobby budget is finite and when $25 of it goes to shipping, I have to re-evaluate whether it's something I really want. I know I don't NEED it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:41 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Our actual cost for shipping an Ultra to NC is $26.18 standard post. Priority Mail is $30.30. The box is 9 x 18 x 46 and weighs about 8 lbs. There is a balloon charge for this size box. UPS or FedEx would be even more.

We just shipped a couple to CA and our cost was over $35.00 apiece.

Scott
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:43 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Nice photos Bajora!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:46 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
7,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
Our actual cost for shipping an Ultra to NC is $26.18 standard post. Priority Mail is $30.30. The box is 9 x 18 x 46 and weighs about 8 lbs. There is a balloon charge for this size box. UPS or FedEx would be even more.

Scott
I figured as much. Shipping isn't getting any cheaper. I remember trying to ship a small box via UPS Ground to someone in CA... it was a folio case for a Samsung tablet that someone bought from me for $20... and UPS wanted $19.15 to ship it. Which meant I would make a grand total of $0.85 on the sale. I think I was able to slip it into a large envelope at USPS and ship it for $7 or so.

If you go into UPS or USPS and they break out the tape measure, prepare for BOHICA. That's what they call "dimensional weight" which I'm sure most of us know well.

Thanks for the clarification all; like I said earlier I just try to weigh all my options and what-not before making a purchase.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:10 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post

Scott
Karl and I appreciate your shipping to CA. We both got ours in great shape and should have them flying in the next few days!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:04 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Karl and I appreciate your shipping to CA. We both got ours in great shape and should have them flying in the next few days!
Great! We'll be waiting for more awesome videos!

Scott
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:33 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Maybe a triple formation flight Thanks for the Ultra Polaris Scott. It flies great.

Kasra
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:13 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,160 Posts
...or maybe a whole squadron of Polari over Lake Hodges at SEFF in April.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:21 AM
Maine
Joined Nov 2007
210 Posts
Northstar

My 44" wingspan Northstar taxiing back to shore during warmer times. It's rather heavy but flies nicely with an Enya 45CX. Note the wing tips are almost underwater. Aileron inputs actually roll the plane during taxi !!
Tony
aircat10 is offline Find More Posts by aircat10
Last edited by aircat10; Mar 03, 2013 at 12:06 PM.