HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:07 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
I used Scotch Double Sided Permanent tape on my belly pan. It is really sticky!

So far so good although I haven't done a lot of cold weather testing.

Scott
I had mine attached with that tape and it stayed on, even at -10C. It's now glued on with E-6000 transparent glue from Walmart, which seems to work well.

As for the cutting board plastic, I believe 3M 77 should work.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:12 PM
USA, NY, Lancaster
Joined May 2010
189 Posts
Maidened my Ultra last Sunday, @ 20 degrees out and flying off of snow. I suggest lubeing or silicone on the rudder pushrod, it was getting snow/moisture in the tube and freezing up. Great flying plane, looking forward to flying it on a 4s.
lumpy649 is offline Find More Posts by lumpy649
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, TN, Arlington
Joined Jan 2005
53 Posts
Ultra Maiden In Memphis

Beautiful weather in Memphis area today. Flew my original Polaris once to get my thumbs limbered up and then maidened my Ultra. Got three flights in and had a great time. Balanced right on the step, reduced the aileron throws another 1/8 inch from the low rates and she proved to be a gentle flyer. I used 3 cell 2100 batteries in both planes and find I am comfortable flying the Ultra at full throttle throughout the flight. I fly my original Polaris at slightly above 1/2 throttle. Really enjoy both planes.
gbman is offline Find More Posts by gbman
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:11 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbman View Post
Beautiful weather in Memphis area today. Flew my original Polaris once to get my thumbs limbered up and then maidened my Ultra. Got three flights in and had a great time. Balanced right on the step, reduced the aileron throws another 1/8 inch from the low rates and she proved to be a gentle flyer. I used 3 cell 2100 batteries in both planes and find I am comfortable flying the Ultra at full throttle throughout the flight. I fly my original Polaris at slightly above 1/2 throttle. Really enjoy both planes.
Congratulations on the maiden gbman. I see you "smoked" the canopy. It looks good!

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Jul 2004
78 Posts
Receied my Polaris Ultra Tuesday and have it ready to fly. It is a well engineered plane. I found no changes needeed except I put the rudder servo outside on the bottom of the power pod.

Gosh what a nice looking plane.

I built the Polaris XL, and although it flew OK, this is a much nicer designed and engineered plane. I look forward to flying it for a long time. I used a HK 35-30 1400Kv which only pulls 20A on 3S and 8X6 prop and it fit into the cowl.

Thanks Scott for a great job. The box and packing were incredable.
Cajun1 is offline Find More Posts by Cajun1
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:14 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2002
432 Posts
Cajun1, the rudder servo on the outside? Don't you mean the elevator servo?
Caddguy6 is offline Find More Posts by Caddguy6
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Aug 2010
94 Posts
Great Idea on belly pan.

I think that cuting board will work great. I also have one. I took a piece of 16 gauge wire and stripped 1/4 inch insulatoin in the middle. then I epoxied it to the bottom of the rudder and fusealage. Doesn't hamper rudder movement and it's got to help on grass and snow landings to protect the rudder. Also used the plastic spoon idea to channel more cooling air over the front vents.
bigrap is offline Find More Posts by bigrap
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:32 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,157 Posts
Canopy Retention

I found an easy way to retain the canopy. It only requires a piece of "fuzzy" velcro attached to the bottom of the canopy about 4" back from the front edge. You can then use the excess battery strap material to attach to the canopy velcro and there you have it!

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:32 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,157 Posts
Great picture from Efest of the Ultra.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:51 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Great picture from Efest of the Ultra.
McD
And he sold out all that he brought!!
Thanks for hooking me up with the wiring retrofit. Sounds like an easy thing to do as soon as I get back to Virginia.
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:56 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
It was nice to see you at E-Fest AeroRecon!

It was awesome to see the positive reaction to the Ultra. Very nice responce and we sold out of them by noon on Saturday. It reassures me that we are on the right track.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:33 PM
Joined Aug 2010
94 Posts
Seal @ canopy

I recall seeing on some thread or other how to make a watertight seal on canopy - fuse joints. It involved wax paper and some kind of rubber glue. Does anyone have this know how for foam models?
bigrap is offline Find More Posts by bigrap
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Jul 2004
78 Posts
caddguy6, it was the El servo I installed on the outside.

Senior moment. Thanks
Cajun1 is offline Find More Posts by Cajun1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:13 PM
Death and Taxes
Des Moines I'm in Heaven...I mean Iowa
Joined Feb 2006
844 Posts
I just ordered one of these little guys today. Looking forward to getting it going. Does anyone know if any of the eflite motors would power this well?

On another front, I have a Robbie gemini... new in box I'll be transfering my last gemini electronics to. That plane was one of my all time favorites. It was tore up from lots of little crashes, but finally had a big crash last year and tore it up pretty good. The plane handles wind great, but tried to fly in some 30MPH winds with higher gusts and it just didn't pan out too well LOL...
Looks like a great flier, looking forward to it!
conceptmachining is offline Find More Posts by conceptmachining
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:40 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptmachining View Post
I just ordered one of these little guys today. Looking forward to getting it going. Does anyone know if any of the eflite motors would power this well?
None of them have a suitable KV rating, required by the 8" limitation on prop size.

Best to order the recommended motor, as it fits nicely into the cowl and the battery and propeller combinations have been sorted out.

If you want to use a different motor, look for one that weighs 80-100g, has KV of 1300-1500, can sustain 25-30A, and is OK for 3s and 4s. You'll find that there are only a few that meet the requirements.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66