Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:26 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer-Ron View Post
gatorb8

What kind of connection is that from the CF to SS?
I use an adhesive shrink tube from West Marine made by Ancor

When you heat it up the tube shrinks, adhesive melts and oozes out, let it dry and it's a good connection for pushrods on planes up to about this size

I roughed up the SS & CF to

I also used some McLube sailkote dry lubricant on the CF so it has little slide resistance
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:47 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
I also used some McLube sailkote dry lubricant on the CF so it has little slide resistance
I use Vaseline on all my pushrods where they enter the pushrod tubes. This helps seal the opening and adds a little lube to the interface. I also put some Vaseline under the servo horn to seal the servo output shaft opening even on those servos inside the hull. I use CorrosionX on all my electronics because it's not a question of "IF" water will get into them, rather it's a question of "when". Remember, Murphy loves to hang around seaplanes.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:34 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
I use Vaseline on all my pushrods where they enter the pushrod tubes. This helps seal the opening and adds a little lube to the interface. I also put some Vaseline under the servo horn to seal the servo output shaft opening even on those servos inside the hull. I use CorrosionX on all my electronics because it's not a question of "IF" water will get into them, rather it's a question of "when". Remember, Murphy loves to hang around seaplanes.

McD
yep CorrosionX will be going on everything today
I had some more water proofing ideas that came to me last night that I'll be trying! You are right, it's only a matter of time!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:52 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2002
205 Posts
Quote:
I use an adhesive shrink tube from West Marine made by Ancor

When you heat it up the tube shrinks, adhesive melts and oozes out, let it dry and it's a good connection for pushrods on planes up to about this size

I roughed up the SS & CF to

Understand. Have used Anchor splices on boat wiring. For these light airloads it should be adequate. Say, I don't have a Polaris yet, but I have a Dynam PBY. Yesterday at the lake, everyone else had a Polaris, so I'll probably be ordering one (XL).
Zoomer-Ron is offline Find More Posts by Zoomer-Ron
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:18 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer-Ron View Post
Understand. Have used Anchor splices on boat wiring. For these light airloads it should be adequate.
should be, I've used this method an at least 20 planes, no failures yet...............
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:31 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post

McD
Good ideas. As for the servos, sealing where the cable comes out is very important. The only problem I've ever had with water in a servo resulted from pooling around the servo cable exit. The water seeped in over a couple of weeks and next time I flew the rudder went hard over and caused a crash. I now do two things: seal the cable with Goop or similar, and make sure the water can't collect around the servo bottom (the problem was that I had sealed down the rear fuselage top, making a pocket for water just where the servo bottom poked through the wing).

Note that the problem was not the electronics as such but the feedback pot, which I had to take apart and clean. I don't think you can treat the pot with CorrosionX, so you just have to keep the servo properly sealed.

Murphy is ubiquitous.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:37 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,759 Posts
Quote:
nice to hear high alpha is better than expected!
What was your AUW with Lipo during that flight?

mine is coming along....
got some SS/CF pushrods made, servos installed, I went with the external elevator servo
You aileron servo arm looks about like mine, but I found after the first flight that I needed a longer arm on the rudder servo to get enough throw. It was originally 12mm from shaft to connector and I would now use about 15mm.

Mine weighs 36oz ready to fly with 3s 2200 30C battery, about 38oz with 4s.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:38 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,752 Posts
I also like Scott's idea of stuffing some paper towels or tissue around to capture the few stray droplets....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:56 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,752 Posts
How did you guys check the CG?
Can I just put it on a flat table and adjust the components untill it will tip either way on the step?
Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:58 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,752 Posts
Scott,
Do you have the airbrush shade of red and manufacturer? I touched a piece of tape to the fuse and it took a lot of paint off
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:49 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,752 Posts
passed the float test!
I was glad to see good margin from water to aileron pushrod exits!
I also put an air exaust in the cowl
AUW came in at 38 oz with 2200 mah 4S
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gatorb8; Jan 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:08 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
793 Posts
Looking great, Gator. I landed my kit Polaris in the top of a tree yesterday; no water infiltration problems at all! I think the Outlawas are gonna be spending a lot of time down at the pond during SEFF.

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:26 PM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
Looking great, Gator. I landed my kit Polaris in the top of a tree yesterday; no water infiltration problems at all! I think the Outlawas are gonna be spending a lot of time down at the pond during SEFF.

Don
Don't feel bad Don, I've landed my other boat in the trees before.........
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:01 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Scott,
Do you have the airbrush shade of red and manufacturer? I touched a piece of tape to the fuse and it took a lot of paint off
All the paint is applied at the factory in China. But I'll be visiting the craft section at Walmart later and I'll see if I can come up with a color match.

Meanwhile, your plane is looking great! Can't wait to hear a flight report with the Micro Dan motor!

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:52 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
All the paint is applied at the factory in China. But I'll be visiting the craft section at Walmart later and I'll see if I can come up with a color match.
I've had good luck with scanning and color matching at Home Depot.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss