HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,662 Posts
New Product
Model Aero Polaris Ultra ARF

Model Aero is very excited to offer our newest product, the Polaris Ultra. Based on Laddie Mikulasko’s legendary North Star design, this is an ARF version of the popular Polaris seaplane scaled to 115% of Steve Shumate’s original design. It’s molded of high quality EPO foam and due to the high level of pre-fabrication can be built in a fraction of the time of the original Polaris kit. As with all Polaris models, it can fly off water, grass, or snow!

The Polaris Ultra retains all of the flying qualities of the original Polaris, yet has a character all her own. I hope you enjoy flying her as much as we’ve enjoyed the development process.

Thanks,

Scott DeTray

Model Aero Polaris Ultra
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
to remove ads between posts
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,662 Posts
Specifications:

Wingspan: 34”
Length: 46”
AUW: 36-38 oz.
Wing area: 471 sq in
Wing loading: 11.6 oz/sq ft

Power Requirements:

Motor: 2810-9 or equivalent
KV: 1350
ESC: 40 to 50 amp, switch mode BEC recommended
Prop: APC 8 x 6 or Master Airscrew 8 x 6 three blade on 3S, APC 8 x 4 on 4S
Battery: 3S or 4S 2200 to 2500
Power output: 280 to 450 watts
Servos: 9 to 13 gram servo with torque rating of 16 to 25 oz/in

Features of the Polaris Ultra:

-Molded EPO foam-Pre painted
-Decal set
-Full airfoil on wing, stab
-Motor and elevator servo wires built in
-Magnetic canopy hatch for battery access
-Vacuum formed plastic skid plate for the bottom
-Inner plywood structure for strength
-Two round CF wing spars
-Pilot figure included
-Complete hardware package

Polaris Ultra (2 min 35 sec)
Last edited by Model Aero; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,662 Posts
Here's the build guide for the Polaris Ultra. As you can see, there's not much to it and it goes together really quick.

Scott
Last edited by Model Aero; Dec 14, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,662 Posts
Here are some photos of the kit as it comes out of the box.

Scott
Last edited by Model Aero; Dec 22, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:18 AM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
I'm in... waiting for delivery!
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,030 Posts
Got mine on order. Shipped today! I should have it by next week!

I've been flying a kit-built Polaris for over two years now and I love the way it flies. I love my Polaris, but I HATE building from scratch or from a kit! If the Polaris didn't fly so well, I'd have never gone through the personal pain of kit building. It's probably just me, but I built a ton of kits in the 60's and 70's. Now that I'm older and my arthritis has kicked in, I much prefer ARFs. This new Polaris Ultra looks like the perfect answer to my needs.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Dec 13, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
"Cool looking model "

Hi Scott,I saw the video, and it looked great
I was wondering If it flew any different than the flat wing model ,meanning more lift on it Did it seem to handel great ..?? on the turns did you still have to give it some (up) to complete your turns with out it wanting to go down or didn't you notice any thing different. I hope you get what I am trying to ask ......I just got it in my head that because of the
full air foil on the wing it would be very easy to handel ..I hope thats it ...
Thanks for your time that you spent doing this project ..I want one but will have to wait for the $ to show up
jlions72 is offline Find More Posts by jlions72
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:33 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlions72 View Post
Hi Scott,I saw the video, and it looked great
I was wondering If it flew any different than the flat wing model ,meanning more lift on it Did it seem to handel great ..?? on the turns did you still have to give it some (up) to complete your turns with out it wanting to go down or didn't you notice any thing different. I hope you get what I am trying to ask ......I just got it in my head that because of the
full air foil on the wing it would be very easy to handel ..I hope thats it ...
Thanks for your time that you spent doing this project ..I want one but will have to wait for the $ to show up
The Ultra handles great! The airfoil provides tremendous lift. Even though the wing loading is 15% higher than a standard Polaris kit, you would never know it in the air. And if you watched the video, you can see how slow she will fly.

If balanced correctly, there's no noticeable tendency to drop the nose in turns, a trait that some complained about with the flat foam Polaris.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
That's great to hear, and I did notice how slow it did fly ,and your "Perfect landings" were great too And yes i had problems with my flat wing polaris i thought i had it balanced right at the step ,but it must of been just a little to forward and i didn't notice it
or thought to put it back a little .I had a home made balancer guess it wasn't that good after all ...lol..... Do you think these will sell fast ..? if so Are you thinking about reordering more ...???
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlions72 View Post
That's great to hear, and I did notice how slow it did fly ,and your "Perfect landings" were great too And yes i had problems with my flat wing polaris i thought i had it balanced right at the step ,but it must of been just a little to forward and i didn't notice it
or thought to put it back a little .I had a home made balancer guess it wasn't that good after all ...lol..... Do you think these will sell fast ..? if so Are you thinking about reordering more ...???
Well we hope they sell fast!!!

And yes we plan on keeping these in stock for a long time.

Scott
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,157 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled by posts that seem to suggest that up elevator should not be needed in turns. All models (and full size aircraft) that are trimmed to fly level need some up elevator in turns, as when the plane is banked more lift is needed to produce the turn while maintaining level flight. Shallow turns only need a small amount of up, steeper turns need more. This is standard piloting technique that we teach in flight school. By the way, models that don't need up in turns climb when flying straight (which is not desirable).

The real issue then is whether too much up is needed to prevent height loss in turns. A Polaris (or other model) with the center of gravity too far forward will need quite a lot of up in turns and may get the pilot into trouble (I've seen it happen). The same model will be much more comfortable to fly with the CG in the right place. But the idea that NO up should be needed is unrealistic.

PS My Ultra is on the way. Can't wait!
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
I didn't know that !!!...thanks for the input I guess thats what happens when you teach your self to fly ...you learn from your mistakes and take in the good advice from others on here ..thanks again
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:40 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,998 Posts
In a turn .
The ailerons bank it
The elevator turns it.
The rudder coordinates it.
lol
Got it
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
In a turn .
The ailerons bank it
The elevator turns it.
The rudder coordinates it.
lol
Got it
AKA "Bank and yank". Or at least that covers the first two.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
935 Posts
This is really awesome. I've been flying my scratchbuilt one for almost four years now. This one looks great. I'm going to have to get one of these..
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc