SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:31 AM
I am what I teach
Tucson AZ
Joined Mar 2007
520 Posts
Discussion
help with GY48V gyro

I have been chasing the setup on this gyro for a few days and am about ready to bin the damn thing.

It is not returning to center and holds the last input. Great if I want to to pirouets all day, useless if I wnat the thing to actually hover.

Radio is a DX6i
rudder trim is centered
rate pos 1 72%
rate pos 2 54%
travel adjust is 100% on gyro and rudder channels

I have adjusted the delay from 0 to 100 several times in various degrees and all with the same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks
moparren is offline Find More Posts by moparren
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:37 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,270 Posts
If you are describing what happens when the heli is on the bench with no rotor blades or no throttle then this is normal for HH mode.

It's a lot easier to setup the tail slider if the gyro is in rate mode. Both gains that you are using put the gyro in HH mode. On the Dx6i, a gain of less than 50% puts the gyro in rate mode. So you could use 74% for HH mode and 30% for Rate mode. In Rate mode, the slider returns to center when you center the rudder stick.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
A slow moving tail servo is also a sign of a weak servo and/or inadequate power. Tail servos have to work very hard. I alway used a bigger (powerwise) and faster servo for the tail and either a much larger capacity ESC or separate BEC.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,262 Posts
I had nothing but problems trying to set up my GY48v. Did everything by the book numerous times and it would never stay locked even in HH mode. Threw a cheap GY191 from my old Blackhawk 450SE on there and it held solid. I think some of them are just junk.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:13 PM
I am what I teach
Tucson AZ
Joined Mar 2007
520 Posts
Partly what is happening on the bench, but every time I try to fly it I get an uncontrolable pirouete as soon as it gets light on the skids. I tried reversing and that made no difference.

I'll have to try those new numbers in the radio when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
If you are describing what happens when the heli is on the bench with no rotor blades or no throttle then this is normal for HH mode.

It's a lot easier to setup the tail slider if the gyro is in rate mode. Both gains that you are using put the gyro in HH mode. On the Dx6i, a gain of less than 50% puts the gyro in rate mode. So you could use 74% for HH mode and 30% for Rate mode. In Rate mode, the slider returns to center when you center the rudder stick.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, VA, Newport News
Joined Aug 2012
10 Posts
use the reverse switch on the gyro not the one on your tx
twoshey is offline Find More Posts by twoshey
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
I am what I teach
Tucson AZ
Joined Mar 2007
520 Posts
The switch on the the gyro is the one I have switched. I get the same result from either position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoshey View Post
use the reverse switch on the gyro not the one on your tx
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparren View Post
Partly what is happening on the bench, but every time I try to fly it I get an uncontrolable pirouete as soon as it gets light on the skids. I tried reversing and that made no difference.
It's normal on the bench since there is no torque to counter. But surely the uncontrollable pirouete is lots faster on one of the settings (when the blades are on and the heli is getting light on the skids). It must be.

I'd suggest putting the gyro in rate mode and make sure the tail slider moves all the way to the end of the tail rotor shaft in both directions. In particulare, it must get very close to the tail assembly on the boom - touching if possible. Sometimes, the tail rotor blade grips get funny if it slides too far away from them. If that happens, just reduce the travel of the slider until the grips act right.

How to adjust the travel of the slider so it touches the tail assembly? Use the "limit" dial on the gyro. Holding the rudder stick full left and then full right, makde sure the slider does not bottom out at either end of the tail shaft. Turn the limit dial until the slider stops just as it reaches the end of the shaft in both directions.

If the slider touches one side but not the other, then you should move the servo or adjust the tail pushrod length until it travels both directions equally and does not bottom out. Too much travel will cause the servo to burn up. Too little travel will prevent the tail rotor from generating enough thrust to overcome the torque. So it would piro a little but not as much as a reversed gyro by any means.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:50 PM
I am what I teach
Tucson AZ
Joined Mar 2007
520 Posts
That got er! Flying with no problems, thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
So you could use 74% for HH mode and 30% for Rate mode.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
411 Posts
Its a good idea with these gyros to trim them to fly in rate mode if you start having any issues with tail drifting. You never use rudder trim in the radio.
Bladecpnitro is offline Find More Posts by Bladecpnitro
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:29 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
One of my Fav Gyro's

I do like my GY48v

Delay should be = Zero
Limit at least 120 to start if not 140 ..

If servo over travels , use limit to limit travel

At the Tx gyro sensitivity needs to be 100%

I dont know this radio , what gyro options do you have in the Tx ?
is there AVC(s) this is what you want for Head lock ..

Some gyros , if sensitivity is set to low in the tx , its almost like the heli has no gyro at all , and it will spin senselessly ..

Oops - problem fixed ! MB
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, NC, Dobson
Joined Jan 2007
1,217 Posts
I know whats wrong with the GY48V, the ones I had worked good after I fixed them, The circuit board was rattling around inside the case. It needs a drop of hot glue in the corners inside to secure it. After that they worked good.
RCHSF is offline Find More Posts by RCHSF