HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SPasierb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
Discussion
Helping Folks Get Into Aerotow & Scale Soaring

There are so many great facets to RC Soaring. Thermal Duration, slope and DLG have always been a big part of my flying life, but over the past several years, more and more, scale soaring it taking over. Such great fun -- and something that includes the best of many elements of RC flying.

The rumor mill says aerotowing is both difficult and expensive. Neither is true. Many guys start with an electric tow plane from an inexpensive ARF and a foamie glider like the EzGlider or something similar in the 2 meter range. Sure, many of us get the bug and start spending thousands and investing hundreds of hours in builds. Just as many are thoroughly happy to just keep it simple and have lots of fun! This hobby can be what you want it to be.

If I can help anyone visiting here on my blog simply try or get into scale soaring (aerotow or slope), please do not hesitate to reach out to me. There is no question too basic, no concern we can't work through. Let's talk. Post here or send me a PM.

If you're on facebook, I'd recommend you search and "like" the page RCAeroTowing (see photo below).

On the web, we're creating a comprehensive resource at rcaerotowing.com

Thanks!
Steve
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Dec 13, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2013, 12:39 PM
Destroyer of foamies
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2013
62 Posts
Sir,
I apologies that this is not scale tow, but I have a question.
I have a 48" scratchbuilt flying wing that I would like to aerotow, as she is to fragile for bungee launches. do you have any basic recommendations?
The tow plane is a 42" blue baby with plenty of power and structural strength, and I have 600' of concrete runway available.

Again, sorry this isn't scale, the most recent info on towing wings seems to have been the Horten brothers.
Thanks!
Foam Addict. is offline Find More Posts by Foam Addict.
Old May 09, 2013, 04:18 PM
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
Aero towing puts far less stress on a wing as compared to bungee. We tow wings with releases in the nose and also with Velcro. From spans of 48" to 100".

The Velcro approach on a 48" wing is to put a strip off approx 5-6 inches of the loop portion on the bottom of the wing at the center from the tip of the nose running back, then the hook side of the velcro attached on the tow line with a string loop. Tow the wing up, and when you want to release the wing, dip the nose down, then pull hard up. The Velcro strips apart, the hook side stays with the tow line and the wing flies away. By putting the loop side on the plane, it does not pick up grass and debris on landing like the hook side will.

I hope this makes sense to you. I do not have any photos to illustrate.
Old May 09, 2013, 05:00 PM
Destroyer of foamies
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2013
62 Posts
I actually saw that today, and I will use it.
Thanks for the recommendations!
My one other question is, my wing uses a skid, do I need to build a LG for it? I think the BB has plenty of power to get her off the ground.
Foam Addict. is offline Find More Posts by Foam Addict.
Old May 09, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
Yes, the wing will start flying quickly. Just be sure you don't get unsorted -- don't want to risk the tow plane. Hopefully you have a release on the tow plane so you can dump the line and wing should there be trouble. Those first 5-10 seconds are where accidents happen.

Good luck.