HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:22 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Gary Hoorn's Avatar
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,890 Posts
E-Challenged,
Been flying my Stinson for months now with the stock ESC and a Parkzone Digital Servo for the flaps. No problems so far. A BEC might be a safety factor but has not proven necessary for many of us flying the Stinson. And you are correct it is a great nostalgic tail dragger
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:55 AM
Registered User
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Wanted to post here as i am a new proud owner of the ParkZone Archer. This is my second plane and i am very new as i received a Firebird Stratos for X-mas from my kids. Prior to yesterday i have had about 4 outings with the stratos and was wanting something more and opted for the Archer BnF with the DX5.

Durring my flights yesterday got the plane up with no problems and she flew like a dream very smooth and i know now im hooked on flying R/C planes. My first landing attempt was failed as i caught the wing edge on a branch during my final thanks to the park putting trees on both sides of the parking strip. She took a good 8 feet fall but only small damage on the wingtip from were i hit the branch. After that opted for another landing area at the basketball court (little shorter and has a 12 foot chainlink fence at the end) and had a good 5 successful landings. I did need to keep some throttle on my finals and not quite use to that as the stratos more or less just glided in but over all was impressed and was also nice to really flare a landing.

As far as my recommendation i would defiantly recommend this plane for those that are comfortable with a three channel and would be a great step into a four channel. If you want it for your first plane or even second i would really recommend finding someone to buddy with you.
kh72022 is offline Find More Posts by kh72022
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:45 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
Justwingit's Avatar
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,635 Posts
Congrats on the maiden kh!

Thanks for posting your insight as well; most of the folks flying this little model so far are experienced pilots. It's nice to have "a beginner" post their comments as it helps to bring others over to this wonderful little model. I imagine your growth as a pilot will be fantastic as you continue to put her in the air and get comfortable with the plane in various conditions.

Your input will be valuable here on the thread and we look forward to more postings from you....and pics !

John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:16 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
ryramZ's Avatar
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh72022 View Post
Wanted to post here as i am a new proud owner of the ParkZone Archer. This is my second plane and i am very new as i received a Firebird Stratos for X-mas from my kids. Prior to yesterday i have had about 4 outings with the stratos and was wanting something more and opted for the Archer BnF with the DX5.

Durring my flights yesterday got the plane up with no problems and she flew like a dream very smooth and i know now im hooked on flying R/C planes. My first landing attempt was failed as i caught the wing edge on a branch during my final thanks to the park putting trees on both sides of the parking strip. She took a good 8 feet fall but only small damage on the wingtip from were i hit the branch. After that opted for another landing area at the basketball court (little shorter and has a 12 foot chainlink fence at the end) and had a good 5 successful landings. I did need to keep some throttle on my finals and not quite use to that as the stratos more or less just glided in but over all was impressed and was also nice to really flare a landing.

As far as my recommendation i would defiantly recommend this plane for those that are comfortable with a three channel and would be a great step into a four channel. If you want it for your first plane or even second i would really recommend finding someone to buddy with you.
Much congrats!
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:05 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,531 Posts
Finally had a fantastic day to fly the Archer but out of 4 batteries I could only use 1 because I had forgoten my Dean to JST adapter I made

Anyway that 1 batterie the stock one I just cant beleive this, I flew 10 min and then checked it. Set timer for another 4 min and checked again.......wow! set timer for another 3 min and checked again............still at 3.81 per cell.
I decided to stop anyway The battery to only 662 mah after 17 min of flight time. My prop was the MAS 8x6 with the 2s1p 1300 mah lipo.
That Archer flew like a dream
Unfortunatly no video, my headcam battery finally gave up on me , I just wish it would have chosen another day.

Here some pictures taken by a friend that invited me to his local club.
The take-off surface was a bit crazy but the little wheels did well
Paul-RC is online now Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:13 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
Justwingit's Avatar
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,635 Posts
Great pics Paul!

Looks kinda like you're flying off a skating rink ! Aren't the flight times simply unheard of?!?!? I had the same reaction the first time I realized this thing was a battery miser...a SOLID 15 minutes...I mean are you kidding me ?!?

Not to mention it flys like a miniature T-28...all in all, not a bad little plane. Your pics always look fantastic, and I'm glad you post them. It even looks like you had a little bit of wind, judging from the windsock...what do you think of it's performance in a breeze?

Anyway, have fun my friend, and stay warm !
John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:21 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Great pics Paul!

Looks kinda like you're flying off a skating rink ! Aren't the flight times simply unheard of?!?!? I had the same reaction the first time I realized this thing was a battery miser...a SOLID 15 minutes...I mean are you kidding me ?!?

Not to mention it flys like a miniature T-28...all in all, not a bad little plane. Your pics always look fantastic, and I'm glad you post them. It even looks like you had a little bit of wind, judging from the windsock...what do you think of it's performance in a breeze?

Anyway, have fun my friend, and stay warm !
John
Actually the pictures on the ice were at my field were I fly the Beaver , I was there earlier in the morning and had a flight .
Then I went to the local club,
Yes we had a light to moderate breeze but not a problem at all
Yes the flight time , my friend could not beleive it.
I did try some loops and rolls just to see and not a problem at all
The landing .......oh I just love to land it and do touch-and go's

Cant wait to fly it again
Paul-RC is online now Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:23 PM
Registered User
GLHS592's Avatar
United States, TN, Nunnelly
Joined Aug 2012
614 Posts
I keep going back and forth between this Archer and the Carbon Cub. The rave reviews in this thread are making me lean toward the Archer. The only thing that is keeping me from it is the Archer needs more room to fly. I could fly the CC at my house. I also have UMX batteries from my Blade 130x.
GLHS592 is offline Find More Posts by GLHS592
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:53 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,683 Posts
I've been following the Carbon Cub from day one and, just when I think I'll pull the trigger on one, a new issue crops up (one that could result in the destruction of the plane) that makes me hold off. This happens over and over and over. I've been following this Archer here from day one as well, and, although it's still new, it's pretty much a no brainer. I'll go with the bird with the individual receiver, servos and ESC. If you have an issue with one of those you replace it... and with whatever you want
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:48 PM
Registered User
pda4you's Avatar
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
I keep going back and forth between this Archer and the Carbon Cub. The rave reviews in this thread are making me lean toward the Archer. The only thing that is keeping me from it is the Archer needs more room to fly. I could fly the CC at my house. I also have UMX batteries from my Blade 130x.
So you might be able to use a super light setup - how about a 600mAh 2s battery? That would save a bit of weight and enable a bit slower speed.

There is no question it is not going to be as slow as the CC but I think this will be a better plane overall.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:18 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
Justwingit's Avatar
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,635 Posts
Yuppers Mike,

This little Piper really has alot going for it...and I think the posting by kh72022 pretty much confirms the model will in fact be well suited to relatively newer pilots. Although the Carbon Cub looks fabulous, the numerous gremlins which lurk beneath it's nicely painted skin have really put a bad taste in my mouth. And they're still there....even in the new "version 2"....

I would not recommend the Carbon Cub....I would, however, heartily and unhesitatingly recommend this fine little model. Two thumbs up !

Still waiting on the "official" RCG review....
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:35 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
ryramZ's Avatar
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,301 Posts
Nice pics Paul! FYI I soldered ec2's last nite to a Hobbypartz 1600 2 cell. The gauge of wire is thick. I had to drill out the back of the bullets a little to receive the wire. No room to spare so soldering was not as neat as it could have been,which makes pushing the bullet through and into the connecter nearly impossible without also drilling it out a smidge. Oh and of course had to carve a little foam on the underside of the canopy to fit the bugger. Long story short I bought 2 1600 2 cell batteries for the price of 1 stock battery. Here's the kicker. With the long flight times achieved and the light flying characteristics achieved flying stock batteries I should have just bought another stock battery and not bothered.

My recommendation is to fly stock battery and if you must play with cg know that you can do it by just moving the stock batt fore or aft with minimal carving of the underneath of the cockpit. Truly great experience out of the box. As for the CC it's a micro right? I really like the Archer and the little Zero because of their airfoil. The undercamber bugs me unless its a champ or slow stick.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:51 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
Justwingit's Avatar
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
With the long flight times achieved and the light flying characteristics achieved flying stock batteries I should have just bought another stock battery and not bothered.

My recommendation is to fly stock battery and if you must play with cg know that you can do it by just moving the stock batt fore or aft with minimal carving of the underneath of the cockpit. Truly great experience out of the box. As for the CC it's a micro right? I really like the Archer and the little Zero because of their airfoil. The undercamber bugs me unless its a champ or slow stick.
Couldn't have said it better myself....
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:07 PM
Registered User
GLHS592's Avatar
United States, TN, Nunnelly
Joined Aug 2012
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
I've been following the Carbon Cub from day one and, just when I think I'll pull the trigger on one, a new issue crops up (one that could result in the destruction of the plane) that makes me hold off. This happens over and over and over. I've been following this Archer here from day one as well, and, although it's still new, it's pretty much a no brainer. I'll go with the bird with the individual receiver, servos and ESC. If you have an issue with one of those you replace it... and with whatever you want
I'm right there with you. I've almost purchased a Carbon Cub 4 or 5 times. Servo issues have scared me off. Of course, I was scared of the Blade 130x heli until I bought mine. It has been great. The PZ Archer just looks better every time I look at it. I'm thinking the Archer will be the one.
GLHS592 is offline Find More Posts by GLHS592
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:58 AM
Registered User
Cphipps0826's Avatar
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Apr 2012
223 Posts
I've been away for a bit family in town. Anyway i put my brother on my archer after 45 minutes on my simulator. The sim was his only experience ever with RC aircraft. I took off and then gave him full control no buddy box nothing. He flew it looped it rolled it almost crashed it because he got disoriented. Then landed it and shot a few more touch and goes. Next pack he took off flew on his own, and was fine. We left the field went to the LHS and he bought a Hobbyzone SC because he felt he wasn't quite ready for ailerons with out someone helping, but he is now hooked and the archer he plans on purchasing in a few weeks.

This plane is perfect and will probably become my new new person trainer. I used to use my PKZ Stinson on super low rates.
Cphipps0826 is offline Find More Posts by Cphipps0826
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Any good Cessna 172/182 or Piper Cherokee/Archer models? AGeets Scale Kit/Scratch Built 13 Jun 18, 2012 12:07 PM
Sold Colin Archer w/radio vett Boats (FS/W) 5 Mar 08, 2012 06:32 AM
Randy Archer Invitational Ryan Archer Free Flight 4 Jan 01, 2005 10:01 AM
Yippee! for sale Colin Archer chioce pick one of two vett Boats (FS/W) 0 Dec 06, 2004 12:05 PM
Colon Archer vett Boats (FS/W) 0 Sep 13, 2004 09:03 AM