very nice, man
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Hi there, new to the groups but I'm having an issue so finally ready to post!

I bought the Parkzone Archer a week or so ago and have un-successfully tried to fly it three times now. First time was a crash and break of my own doing, the 2nd two times however were as far as I can tell, not my fault.

I'm trouble shooting here and looking for help and maybe experience with the MLP4DSM controller. I got it with a RTF Blade 120sr package. I've used it to fly a Champ and also a Parkzone UM Corsair with no issues which is why I decided to upgrade to the larger plane.

I've felt the controller cut out with my 120sr, and the corsair but haven't thought much of it considering they're a fairly basic plane but on three flights I've smashed the fuselage of the Archer and it's starting to do my head in. I was successfully able to fly it around for 2 passes, then when I flew out further to turn around for a landing, the thing cut out again.

Has anyone had any experience with the MLP4DSM flying larger 4channel planes? Does anyone know the range on the thing or at least its ability to deal with large amounts of potential interference? Any help with this issue would be great.

I'll be heading into my local store tomorrow after i've done the 4th lot of repairs to ask them also and maybe check out the DX6i.

Thanks again!
thetickla is offline Find More Posts by thetickla
Last edited by thetickla; Feb 02, 2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: lacked information
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:19 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
The LP part of the name stands for low power - and you should NOT use that radio for this airplane as it will easily outfly the range of the TX.

DX6i or used DX7 are good starters. If you can swing it a DX7s is much better and will last you for some years.
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:48 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,214 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear of your misfortune, but I have to agree with Mike, the Tx you are using is a low power radio and the model will easily outfly the range....

Maybe it's just me, but if I ever felt a controller "cut-out" on me, I wouldn't fly on it ever again....but that's just me. BTW, my Archer is currently bound to a DX4e I got with my Super Cub almost a year ago and it'll practically fly outta sight....

I'm sure once you buy a "real" radio you'll be much more successful with the model and really start to enjoy it.

Sorry again to hear your Archer got banged up

Regards,
John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:03 PM
Death and Taxes
Des Moines I'm in Heaven...I mean Iowa
Joined Feb 2006
844 Posts
Got the model a week or so ago and finally was able to fly it. It was gusty and was a bit worried about the amount of power on tap, in that I might not be able to get it back into the wind. After take off, I rest assured I could. Ample power on board...and well behaved. I'm suprised there aren't more posts on board here. Its a great looking plane, and a very nice flier. Can't wait until the wind dies down a bit sometime and give it more time in the skies.

Awesome plane guys, and I recommend it. Its one of those planes where you can just relax and soak in the pleasing looks of it.
The only thing I did was carve out some foam on the hatch and the pocket of where the battery sits...about 1/8" on each. I actually flipped the battery so that the plug side is toward the front of the plane. Helps balance the weight better IMO
conceptmachining is offline Find More Posts by conceptmachining
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:35 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Apr 2012
223 Posts
The MLP4DSM is an indoor use radio only, I would never take it outside to fly with a larger than UM plane. Its unfortunate that they don't mark it as such, but I would estimate no more than 300-400 feet and then only on fully charged batteries, anything other than that your range would be greatly decreased. I have the module from one of these retro fitted into a flysky 9x and use it on indoor models. I was told when I did the mod to not use it outside as the range is very unreliable.

As others have echo'd I would upgrade at least to a DX6i, and if you can to a DX7 or 7s. You can almost always pick one up fairly inexpensive on here. under 100.00 for a DX6.

I'm sorry your plane has begun its life roached, but once you get a better radio you will love this plane I can promise you this.
Cphipps0826 is offline Find More Posts by Cphipps0826
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:50 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
If you're on a budget, the non-programmable DX4e and 5e are full range and fairly inexpensive. I bought a previously owned (but never used) 4e off my local classified for $30. I have a 6i now but I've kept the 4e for buddy boxing with family members and friends,

Both the 4e and 5e have a EXPO setting most don't know about that can be enabled.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:33 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
This foamie scale model is not a disposable toy. It deserves a properly working "name brand" entry-level full range radio system including motor, speed control and servos. The inexpensive Spektrum DX-5 is probably a good choice as it is compatible with a lot of Park Zone and other foamie Bind and Fly ( BNF) models. If you can afford it, and are semi-serious about this hobby, new or used DX6i at would be a good choice
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:31 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
So I am trying to decide what my next plane would be. This plane really looks like a nice relaxing one to fly. I am not reading of any issues with this so far, so I am guessing it really is a solid plane?

It seems like a good size, and one that I can fit in my car. Some other airframes I am looking at might be a problem in that department.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
So I am trying to decide what my next plane would be. This plane really looks like a nice relaxing one to fly. I am not reading of any issues with this so far, so I am guessing it really is a solid plane?

It seems like a good size, and one that I can fit in my car. Some other airframes I am looking at might be a problem in that department.
I right there with you, Trying to decide between the Archer and the T-28.....
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:55 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,214 Posts
Well,

A PZ T-28 she is not. But, that said, she's not much more difficult to fly, just has her own little quirks. First, she is a little twitchy in wind, but only due to her size, not any aerodynamic peculiarities. Also, even though she's a trike, you really have to get used to the flare in order not to bounce down the runway off of the front wheel.

As far as flying goes though, she's really stable on days where there's little to no wind, and just simply looks fantastic flying by about 50 ft off the ground...the scale outline and color scheme just looks fabulous.

The flight times are simply remarkable when flying on the stock set-up and the recommended 2S1300 mAh battery. I regularly get 12-15 minutes out of mine....no joke. Of course, that all depends on your throttle management. But, trust me, I do wring her out from time to time and a few loops and rolls always wind up during my usual flight time. Loops require full throttle; rolls do not, if executed properly. She usually spends most of her time around 50-65% throttle.

I hope this helps.

John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:23 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,405 Posts
THis is for my Archer buddies. It's a funny compilation, some of you have already seen certain clips. Its fun.
RC Air Training Command Video Montage Fun (8 min 0 sec)
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:06 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Mar 2012
97 Posts
[QUOTE=Justwingit;24008076]If only they'd release a Carbon Cub in this class without that stupid underchambered wing and AS3X...

Or, of course, a Navion....[/QUOTE

I agree... a Carbon cub in this size! I would own 2!
w1indse7 is offline Find More Posts by w1indse7
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:33 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
THis is for my Archer buddies. It's a funny compilation, some of you have already seen certain clips. Its fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B6ednDQgiY
Love it , especially the last 2 min are funny
Thanks
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:05 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
There are still some PZ Stinson SR-10's available, also a good choice if you want a nice scalish golden age tail-dragger. ( Add Park switch mode BEC to stock speed control, if adding 5th servo for flaps)
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged