to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:28 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,721 Posts
More fun with the Archer...

Okay folks,

This morning was probably the last morning in awhile I'll have to fly this little gem so I put her up for a few batteries.

Still flying her from the local soccer field as my "home field" is currently unaccessable. Figured I'd try a test and post the results. Last evening, I was completely blown away by the battery level after flying for ten minutes. I figured today, I'd go for 15 minutes right outta the chute. Here's the details: It was a bright, sunny day, about 60 degrees with light winds generally out of the east at 3-5 knots. The only difference to bone stock would be that I'm flying it on an 8x5 EMP prop. Stock is 8.25x5.5. FMS 1300 mAh battery. I took before and after pictures. I simply couldn't believe it. After 16 minutes of mixed throttle flying, but admittedly, mostly cruising, she still came down with 37% left in the tank ! I mean, are you kidding me?!? What more could you possibly want from a model? Believe it or not, I actually put her up for another 3-4 minutes just to bring the battery down to roughly 30%....I flew another battery for 15 minutes with similar results, although I was a little more throttle happy and came down with roughly 32-33% left in the tank.

I was practicing getting my rolls down nice and smooth and scale-like. The trick to getting them to look nice with this model is to slow the rate of roll down and then bring the throttle back to about 50% at roughly the inverted/halfway point of the roll. I was entering the rolls at full throttle, just a quick blip up on the elevator before entering the roll and voila! She looked pretty good. I was also having fun doing loops; bring her into the wind, go to full throttle, dip the nose just a little to pick up some extra speed, and pull her up and over. I let her really climb on the ascending leg, and then flatten her out a little over the top and then bring the throttle back to about 50% or so on the descending leg and level out nice and easy at the bottom. I really got the rolls to where I like them, but the loops are still taking some aileron to keep her level during the execution....I like mine nice and big !

But I'll tell ya, if you're not into all of that, don't worry. This thing'll cruise around at 50-60% throttle all day long and just ooze coolness. I mean, this model looks good just flying around! It's awesome.

I also found that if I didn't try so hard on the landings, they sorta started to take care of themselves; roughly 75% were greasers with no bouncing whatsoever. As Cphipps has said, just get really deep in the flare. I'm sure landing on the grass helps too.

Anyway, here's the pictures from today's flights; I hope you enjoy them and I look forward to seeing other flight reports here on the thread in the next couple of days

I'll be out in the desert playing Army ...

Cheers all,
John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Jan 18, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:01 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,538 Posts
Well today is the day for mine
still a 3 hour wait until I get my hands on it

What bugs me a touch is the fact that they mix the Archer II with the Archer III to make one.
If I add my scale details I guess I will have to go towards the Archer III style.
Will see
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:35 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Apr 2012
223 Posts
You know I fly both the archer II and III full scale, birds and aside from the cowling, sitting on the ground next to each other I've never really noticed a difference minus a few cosmetic things that 95% of people who fly full scale couldn't tell you.

That being said they fly exactly the same and I knowing than one person who likes the archer III cowling and as modified it to fit the archer II. I prefer the center ridge personally I like the double barrel look to it.

You're going to love how this thing flies
Cphipps0826 is offline Find More Posts by Cphipps0826
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:41 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cphipps0826 View Post
You know I fly both the archer II and III full scale, birds and aside from the cowling, sitting on the ground next to each other I've never really noticed a difference minus a few cosmetic things that 95% of people who fly full scale couldn't tell you.

That being said they fly exactly the same and I knowing than one person who likes the archer III cowling and as modified it to fit the archer II. I prefer the center ridge personally I like the double barrel look to it.

You're going to love how this thing flies
Oh I know I will
I like both style its just strange that they would mix both, but then its basicly An Archer II with an Archer III cowling.
The biggest mod for me will be to add the landing lights at the wing tip like the Archer III , the rest is simple enough.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:25 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Just assembled mine. It is very nice.
Looking forward to your flight debriefing...

I just saw a NOTAMs; it mentioned avoiding lightposts while conducting a test flight or something like that.....I dunno

Be kind to the little Archer....!

John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Jan 18, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
221 Posts
Piper Archer III Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Oh I know I will
I like both style its just strange that they would mix both, but then its basicly An Archer II with an Archer III cowling.
The biggest mod for me will be to add the landing lights at the wing tip like the Archer III , the rest is simple enough.
Paul,

Here are some photos of the full scale Archer III to help you with the detailing of the airplane. The nose inlets are alot different than the older Cherokee Archers produced by Piper.
http://www.piper.com/home/pages/Arch...otoGallery.cfm

I had to modify my Archer inside by cutting some foam not enough to take away from the strength of the foam in the nose. I just had to fit the deans connectors in the airplane and battery wires. The hatch almost didn't close and I had the lipo in the right place when I closed the hatch. It works good after modifying the battery compartment.

Parkzone should have added some small scale lights on the wingtips and rudder like Flyzone did on the Beaver. The wires are small and wouldnt have added anything to throw off the CG. This is a good scale airplane and a great addition to the civilian scale airplanes from Park Zone. If anyone wants to add lights it probably can be modified for a lighting system.
ChrisFlysRC is offline Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
Last edited by ChrisFlysRC; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:41 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,538 Posts
Thanks for the link Chris, I have been gathering lots of pictures and infos since I got interested in this little Archer

Well I just got it this morning
What a sweet little plane, I cant beleive how nice it already looks.
It will be fun to modify
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:38 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,538 Posts
First little I just did before it breaks is inserted tiny carbon rods about 1.5 in long at the top of the rudder and at the wing tips trailling edge.
Inserted flush
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:36 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,538 Posts
Just did some static motor test run

With the stock prop and the 2s1p 10.7 mah 83 watt
with a 3s1p 11.7 mah 100watt exceeds the ESC but in flight it unloads anyway.

with a MAS 8x6 2s1p 8.5 mah 67 watt
with a 3s1p 9.3 mah 80 watt

I will eventually see inflight how it goes because it looks better with the MAS 8x6 prop but the spinner needs some cutting
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:22 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
44 Posts
Do I need this plane?

RC-Friends,

I’m wondering how this nice looking plane would compare to the UMX Carbon Cub SS.
I’ll explain: the UMX CC is the biggest thing I have flown and my first aileron plane.
As next step to my CC I have the choice between:
• The navy colored PKZ 44” T-28 Trojan standing on a shelf for the last 2 years.
• The 37” PKZ S.E.5a RAF, standing next to my T-28.
• The new PKZ Archer: just two on stock at my LHS.
So, in order to help me to make the best choice: could someone order the CC, T-28, SE5a and Archer regarding their flying difficulty and/or needed experience?
I did not wreck any of my planes until now and I would like to persevere with this habbit.
Probably I don’t need that extra plane and I should just go out and fly one of the others first…
But, the archer looks so nice and I think this will fit in the car when we leave for our annual 3 weeks of Italy. The family car is just too small for three people + luggage and a T-28 or SE5a.

Thanks for your advice!
Happy flying,

Tom.
RC-Tom is offline Find More Posts by RC-Tom
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:29 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,414 Posts
RC Tom, all those planes are nice but i think the Archer was made for you

cheers chuck

PS the tail and main wing just unscrew 2 minute job
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:43 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Apr 2012
223 Posts
Tom,

Your in luck I've flow everything except the se5a this is easier to fly than the carbon cub. Personally I feel it's inherently more stable, easier to take off and land. The t-28 is an awesome plane and while it is legendary in its abilities and flight characteristics it doesn't really seem to fit into you travel needs.
Cphipps0826 is offline Find More Posts by Cphipps0826
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:48 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
RC Tom, all those planes are nice but i think the Archer was made for you

cheers chuck

PS the tail and main wing just unscrew 2 minute job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cphipps0826 View Post
Tom,

Your in luck I've flow everything except the se5a this is easier to fly than the carbon cub. Personally I feel it's inherently more stable, easier to take off and land. The t-28 is an awesome plane and while it is legendary in its abilities and flight characteristics it doesn't really seem to fit into you travel needs.
Thank you very much!
I’m afraid you’re both right.
Plus, I love the reported +15 minutes flight times which is an asset for long relaxing scale flying. The 6 minute timer I use when flying the CC tends to spoil some of the relaxing.
Also, as I know my first landings could be rough the fact that the Archer weighs less than half than the T-28 or SE5a will make it less prone for landing scars.

Looks more and more like I will spend some € on this…
Best regards,

Tom.
RC-Tom is offline Find More Posts by RC-Tom
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:20 AM
Joined Aug 2012
189 Posts
Any new links, photos, videos? Think I'm gonna have to order one this weekend....
Iplumb is online now Find More Posts by Iplumb