HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,397 Posts
There have been several attempts for variable pitch MRs in the past:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...implementation

Variable-Pitch Quadrotor Trajectory Generation and Control (2 min 49 sec)

SMQ-VPP #2 (Crashed) (3 min 9 sec)

Variable Pitch Quadcopter - AutoPilot System &Upside-down flight (3 min 17 sec)

But yours is flying really great!
Please post your setup.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
9 Posts
Here is the raw footage you requested:

3D Quad Raw Footage Flips (0 min 12 sec)
RustysFunFarm is offline Find More Posts by RustysFunFarm
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:20 PM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
any technical infos, photos, used components etc?
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
No warthox. You aren't allowed to have one. I've done the math and warthox with a CP multi will cause a black hole and destroy the earth.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:15 PM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
No warthox. You aren't allowed to have one. I've done the math and warthox with a CP multi will cause a black hole and destroy the earth.

ive already built one some months ago but i didnt want to fly it because i was aware of this black hole thing
no seriously, im not sure if i could fly such a cp quad in the 3d way. i dont fly helis so dont expect to much...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
Team White Llama
United States, IL, Addison
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
NICE! Cant wait to see specs!
Enthlapy is offline Find More Posts by Enthlapy
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Apr 2004
185 Posts
Quote:
it's also having to deal with the slowing and speeding up of individual arms.
If the unit is fully collective pitch - and it certainly seems so with that flight envelope - there will be no need to speed up and and slow down the rotors. The collective will do that for you same as in a collective pitch model helicopter. Then the lift changes would as fast as a servo can move.
rick0007 is offline Find More Posts by rick0007
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
RCGroups Heli Editor
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Dec 2010
258 Posts
I.....Cant.....Wait.....

I soooo wana do some piroflips with a quad!!!!

The mechanics don't seem to hard, its software is what gets me confused. So mine will stay on the shelf until I learn programming in 2064....
ndfly700 is offline Find More Posts by ndfly700
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2012
82 Posts
I would really appreciate some more details about how this quad was built, and any advice you could give to somebody interested in building a quad with collective pitch.

Also, what kind of flight times are you getting? I understand that the acrobatic advantages of using collective pitch instead of (or in addition to) variable RPM comes at the detriment of efficiency because of the airfoil/rotor limitations, but I'm just wondering how significant this loss of efficiency is in terms of flight time or payload capacity.
robert_houdin is offline Find More Posts by robert_houdin
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:39 PM
Team White Llama
United States, IL, Addison
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfly700 View Post
I.....Cant.....Wait.....

You can do it now
Enthlapy is offline Find More Posts by Enthlapy
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
any technical infos, photos, used components etc?
+1

Please don't spare any details!
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:11 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfly700 View Post
.....Cant.....Wait.....

The mechanics don't seem to hard, its software is what gets me confused. So mine will stay on the shelf until I learn programming in 2064....
i would say a good mechanic is the hard part. building cheap doesnt lead to a good performance the software is already available since months... at least for mwc.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:19 AM
CY1
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Hey guys,

This is Curtis Youngblood, I just created my account on RCGroups. Some of you might know me from the Heli community.

I asked Rusty to post the video for me. I am new to the multi rotor community, although I have been working on this new project for quite a while, I have not been in the community as a whole.

I asked him to post the video for me, because I assumed if my name was directly attached to it, it would get pushed directly to the heli community and might not get an honest response within the Multi rotor group.

I am happy to see the general response has been positive.

I decided to go ahead and post about it, because I could tell guys really wanted specifics and details on the machine so they could "build their own". Which I think is great. But since we plan to have this out as a product later, we were not releasing specific details yet.

We plan on having more videos and info to come in the near future and we hope that guys in the multi rotor community as well as helis and other groups will enjoy this new and I might add really fun to fly, machine.

Curtis
CY1 is offline Find More Posts by CY1
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CY1 View Post
Hey guys,

This is Curtis Youngblood, I just created my account on RCGroups. Some of you might know me from the Heli community.

I asked Rusty to post the video for me. I am new to the multi rotor community, although I have been working on this new project for quite a while, I have not been in the community as a whole.

I asked him to post the video for me, because I assumed if my name was directly attached to it, it would get pushed directly to the heli community and might not get an honest response within the Multi rotor group.

I am happy to see the general response has been positive.

I decided to go ahead and post about it, because I could tell guys really wanted specifics and details on the machine so they could "build their own". Which I think is great. But since we plan to have this out as a product later, we were not releasing specific details yet.

We plan on having more videos and info to come in the near future and we hope that guys in the multi rotor community as well as helis and other groups will enjoy this new and I might add really fun to fly, machine.

Curtis
Hello Curtis,

You are a legend in the heli community.
I own 3 Raves and they are my fav 450's and I have owned them all.

Cant wait for the release of this beast.

I am interested in carrying them in my shop and for myself of course.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
CY1
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Z06,

Thanks, as I mentioned I am new to this community and I respect the fact that guys into multi rotors have their own likes and dislikes.

Curtis
CY1 is offline Find More Posts by CY1