HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:32 PM
CY1
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
GMRO,

This one is too small to auto rotate. Not enough weight in the blades and too short on blade span.

It flies quite a bit different from a helicopter. It feels similar to a plane and a heli. But in general yes, it will do the kind of flying you see me do with my helicopters. But for heli guys it is not just a heli with a different number of rotors. I flies different and certainly gives you a completely different look in the air.
CY1 is offline Find More Posts by CY1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:54 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
283 Posts
Hey Curtis, Can it do a hurricane? Would love to see a video of it doing a hurricane.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:56 PM
CY1
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Oh yes, it can definitely hurricane. It can do pirouetting hurricanes.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:14 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CY1 View Post
Oh yes, it can definitely hurricane. It can do pirouetting hurricanes.
OOOOHHHH so nice!!!! I can not wait.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:04 PM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Quote:
GMRO,

This one is too small to auto rotate. Not enough weight in the blades and too short on blade span.

It flies quite a bit different from a helicopter. It feels similar to a plane and a heli. But in general yes, it will do the kind of flying you see me do with my helicopters. But for heli guys it is not just a heli with a different number of rotors. I flies different and certainly gives you a completely different look in the air.
You have played/tested the "X" vs. "+" configurations for flight control? Your videos show the "X" type - nose configuration. Did you find one seemed to work better in the air? Interested in your findings.

Will your kit offer both configuration types? OR "X" configuration alone?

I like the looks of the "X" type in the air. But with my scratch built non-CP quads I've only been able to fabricate the "+" types. My resources are not as plentiful as yours!

THANKS!

GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:10 PM
CY1
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
GMRO,

I did not personally like the "+" layout as much for orientation. One big factor in designing this machine was being able to tell what it is doing in the air even at large distances or in complicated maneuvers.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:15 PM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Quote:
GMRO,

I did not personally like the "+" layout as much for orientation. One big factor in designing this machine was being able to tell what it is doing in the air even at large distances or in complicated maneuvers.
Good to know!

I think the "X" is more sci-fi/avatar looking too.

Regards,
GMRO
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Hey curtis,
Why didn't you make a system that could go on all frames? Were there structural weaknesses in some frames that you found or you tried different frames and didn't like how they flew? I'm curious.
gearwolf is online now Find More Posts by gearwolf
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:46 AM
CY1
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
It will certainly be possible to use our controller and likely some components from our machine on different frames if people want to make them. I just chose the layout that I felt was the best place to start.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Ah ok. Looking forward to see how you made this and how different your controller is from other controllers.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:42 AM
CY1
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
The controller is based around what we have done with helicopters. But it has since gone quite a bit beyond that. On the surface the controller programming seems relatively straight forward, You can get into the air with only a few changes to the system. But as you get into really doing full aerobatics, tic-tocs, etc.. you run into many issues that are simply not there with helicopters or regular fixed pitch multi-rotors.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:36 PM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Quote:
The controller is based around what we have done with helicopters. But it has since gone quite a bit beyond that. On the surface the controller programming seems relatively straight forward, You can get into the air with only a few changes to the system. But as you get into really doing full aerobatics, tic-tocs, etc.. you run into many issues that are simply not there with helicopters or regular fixed pitch multi-rotors.
CY1,

Did you folks engineer/design this controller from the ground up?!?!

WOW! Not surprised. Pretty good actually that the unit will handle the changing physics/demands of 3D quad flight.

THANKS!

GMRO
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:37 PM
CY1
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Yes, this controller is our own system.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
What issues? Orientation? Comparing to a fixed pitch quad, does it handle differently? Did you try other flight controllers with your cp frame?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
CY1
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Gearwolf,

No we did not try any other controllers. When we started there were no others that listed CP as an option. There seem to be a few now, but I have not tested them. We are fully into making ours work the best it can. So far I have not seen any examples of others working well on CP machines.