HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Thanks for input.
I may get this one so all the input helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Just back after my open field maiden with the Flip FPV. I like it. I liked it was smaller and lighter than my OV3RQuad FPV frame. I felt plenty maneuverable. It was pretty quiet. I strapped on my HD Keychain camera, but it turned out the battery was to low so no recordings today Sorry.

Last night I balanced and installed some Gemfan 9" carbon mix props...to much vibration. I replaced them with GWS 9x5x3 3-blade props. Much smoother. With my NTM 750kv motors, 9x5x3 props, and 4S 2650 and 3000mAh packs I was pulling:
Amps: 30A max, 11A avg, ~12A cruising around
Watts: 422W max, 160W avg, ~170W cruising aroud
Flying time: 9.5 minutes with 1800mAh consumed

Next I need to mount my GoPro and video equipment and see what the extra weight does. I'm also charging up the HD keychain camera so I can try that too.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:08 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Just back after my open field maiden with the Flip FPV. I like it. I liked it was smaller and lighter than my OV3RQuad FPV frame. I felt plenty maneuverable. It was pretty quiet. I strapped on my HD Keychain camera, but it turned out the battery was to low so no recordings today Sorry.

Last night I balanced and installed some Gemfan 9" carbon mix props...to much vibration. I replaced them with GWS 9x5x3 3-blade props. Much smoother. With my NTM 750kv motors, 9x5x3 props, and 4S 2650 and 3000mAh packs I was pulling:
Amps: 30A max, 11A avg, ~12A cruising around
Watts: 422W max, 160W avg, ~170W cruising aroud
Flying time: 9.5 minutes with 1800mAh consumed

Next I need to mount my GoPro and video equipment and see what the extra weight does. I'm also charging up the HD keychain camera so I can try that too.
Wow that's a very long flight with barely any battery used! I can't wait to get mine lol.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:41 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Wow that's a very long flight with barely any battery used! I can't wait to get mine lol.
Tonight I mounted my GoPro in a lite-ply case attached to the Flip'n frame (sorry, couldn't help myself). Tomorrow I'll take it out again and see how it does with the added weight and check for 'jello'.

One of my gripes with the NTM motor is the bolt-on prop adapters. They just don't seem to run very true. On the other hand, the prop shaft does seem to run true, but sticks out the wrong end of the motor and it's not reversible. After looking around I finally found some 3mm prop shafts that could replace the stock ones. If my flight test with the GoPro exhibits jello I'll probably order the replacement shafts and go with collet type prop adapters.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some boring in-flight test video to post along with updated power system readings.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:18 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Tonight I mounted my GoPro in a lite-ply case attached to the Flip'n frame (sorry, couldn't help myself). Tomorrow I'll take it out again and see how it does with the added weight and check for 'jello'.

One of my gripes with the NTM motor is the bolt-on prop adapters. They just don't seem to run very true. On the other hand, the prop shaft does seem to run true, but sticks out the wrong end of the motor and it's not reversible. After looking around I finally found some 3mm prop shafts that could replace the stock ones. If my flight test with the GoPro exhibits jello I'll probably order the replacement shafts and go with collet type prop adapters.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some boring in-flight test video to post along with updated power system readings.
My friend just neatly grinder my longer shafts off my NTM motors. What size are yours? Also how well dithery work I have 35-30s 1100kv and they seem just ok.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:12 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,220 Posts
Quote:
My friend just neatly grinder my longer shafts off my NTM motors. What size are yours? Also how well dithery work I have 35-30s 1100kv and they seem just ok.
I have the 2830 750kv NTM motors. There's nothing wrong with the 3mm prop shaft other than they stick out the wrong end of the motor if you want to use standard collet type prop adapters. They can not be pushed through the other end of the bell as there's no groove for an E-clip to keep the bell in place. The accessory pack screw on prop adapters don't seem to be very well manufactured. They don't (all) seem to run true and the spinner on each and every one had the hole (used to tighten the spinner down) drilled off center...some worse than others. This throws the spinner out of balance. Using a standard 5mm nut/lock nut takes care of that problem...it doesn't cure a slightly crooked prop mount though.

When I first tried my NTMs I did so with SimonK (older firmware) flashed ESCs. They ran, but were noisier than if using stock firmware. I then connected them with my DJI ESCs and Naza controller. They would not start reliably...they'd run okay once running...if I could get the running. Then I tried different ESCs with new version SimonK firmware and now they run fin, start fine, and are pretty quiet. Would I buy them again? NO! Would I recommend them? NO! For the same money it sounds like the SunnySky Motors are hands and fists better than the NTMs. I'm debating if I want to keep my NTMs wth the idea of replacing the prop shaft for a collet prop adapter or selling them off and trying some SunnySky (or the RCTImer 'HP' clone) motors. The NTMs did not live up to all the hype I'd heard about them. A purchase I'd take back if I could.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
I have 2 NTM motors on my y6 that don't start even on the nazas highest motor start speed. The other 4 start fine but the 2 that don't make my y6 yaw very strangely I've recalibrated all the escs and I'm pretty sure it's just the motors so I'm taking them off and I'm going to give the avrotos a try.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,220 Posts
Oops...I Broke It

Okay, I didn't really break the Flip FPV frame, but I did break one of the snap-on landing legs. I had taken the quad up for a higher power climb...worked fine. I let it come back down under partial power. As I neared the ground I went full throttle to arrest the descent. No response, or at least no sound of the motors spooling up and slowing the descent. Bounced it off the ground...not all of that hard though. I lifted back up and noticed one of the legs was missing so I went out to look for it. Found it. The 'clip on one side had snapped off in the landing.

When I fit the legs to the arms I was a little concerned how they fit...almost a little to tight with more spread than I thought would be good. Evidently this the strain was enough to break a leg clip on my not-so-perfect landing. I liked the legs as they held the frame (and camera) off the ground some. I mounted my arms on the top center plate to elevate the motors off the ground as it was. So, now, I either remove the legs and mount the arms on the bottom plate or, perhaps, just add some heli skids. I hate to add the skids for the added weight, but they would allow the frame to slide on the ground vs catching and sticking into the ground. Decisions, decisions.

As feared, I had jello with my camera mount. Not real bad, but enough I need to do some more playing. I've got some 800kv motors that has prop adapters that do run true (unlike the NTM motors). I'll try those on the Flip to see if that helps.

I'll edit the video, check my data recorder flight power readings and post back a little later on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:54 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,220 Posts
Here's a quicky edited flight video of my Flip FPV frame. I have some vibration issues to work out still.
Flip FPV Video Test (1 min 18 sec)

With the GoPro attached my power specs were:
Flight time: 8 minutes
Amps: 39A max, ~13.5A cruising, ~10.25A avg
Power: 552W max, ~190W cruising, ~151W avg
mAh consumed: 1758mAh out of a 4S 2650mAh pack
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:11 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,036 Posts
The tip of the prop in view may be part of the jello issue as well, I find light flicker off he props can cause that.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
The tip of the prop in view may be part of the jello issue as well, I find light flicker off he props can cause that.
The jello was more noticeable in the raw video vs the edited one. It's certainly a vibration issue. I have seen the prop 'shadow' causing a strobing type effect in the video.

I'm thinking so Trex 500 size skids may work well for the Flip FPV frame. My local Hobbytown USA usually doesn't have them in stock, but I can at least order a set. For $10 (legs and skids) it's worth a try. I think the spike type legs I've seen in several frame types will cause more issues than anything else. Skids allow for some frame ground sliding without as much possibility of flipping.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,036 Posts
I also prefer skids, it puts any force on hard landing on the main frame and not on the arms.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:45 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
Hey van was that a hero 3 you used to video? If so on what setting?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:23 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,220 Posts
Quote:
Hey van was that a hero 3 you used to video? If so on what setting?
No, that's my original GoPro HD V1. I have two of the V1's. One with the stock lens and one with the Sunex lens. I prefer the Sunex for the quad videos as I'm usually lower and moving around more when flying the quads. The Sunex reduces the barrel distortion a lot. I was using the stock lens for this video though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:41 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
No, that's my original GoPro HD V1. I have two of the V1's. One with the stock lens and one with the Sunex lens. I prefer the Sunex for the quad videos as I'm usually lower and moving around more when flying the quads. The Sunex reduces the barrel distortion a lot. I was using the stock lens for this video though.
Wow I never wou had guessed a hero 1 lol. That's nutts. The video looked great. Do you live in Nevada or Texas? Looks like a desert.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:01 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,220 Posts
Quote:
Wow I never wou had guessed a hero 1 lol. That's nutts. The video looked great. Do you live in Nevada or Texas? Looks like a desert.
Nevada.

A little off topic, but here's a quick video of my MM6 hex that Tom custom cut for me some time back. This was with the GoPro V1 with Sunex lens. You can fit into places with this little thing that you can't with the bigger frames.
MM6 (1 min 5 sec)

Oh, FWIW, I just finsihed balancing, installing, and test hovering my Flip frame with different motors (800kv). It still has some vibrations. Drat. I'm going to do a test video with these though just for a look see. My next try will be some 1300kv motors on 3S with 8" props. I tried these in my OV3RQuad frame and they felt real smooth...but amp hungry...like ~60A max range. With a large enough battery they may still work fine if they don't cause jello issues.
RCG Plus Member