HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:44 AM
No you cant fly it.
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Mar 2011
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Ah, OK. My weight is around 1100gms, 8" props, and only 775kv motors on 3S. Awaiting 10" props... and a 4S pack.
yeah I think you deffinetly need to switch up the props. you should be able to get a much better efficiency and flight times by switching to 10" on 4s. I wouldnt even worry about tuning it too much until youswitch props as it could change quite a bit once you do switch.

I used to have some 880kv motors that i always ran 10" on 3s thinking that was working well... went to 9" on 4s and almost doubled my flight time.
kicekilla is online now Find More Posts by kicekilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:07 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Second attempt to hover the flip + some onboard footage at the end. (4 min 51 sec)

Here's todays attempts with those settings...
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,610 Posts
Cralis,

You can adjust the yaw 'speed' in the MW GUI. Find the section for the Yaw Rate. In the screen shot posted earlier the rate was .49. Increasing/Decreasing this value will speed up/slow down how fast the frame yaws. Same goes for the Pitch/Roll rate. Be careful with ths one though as it can make the controls more responsive. On my little F330 quad I use a Pitch/Roll Rate of ~1.65 to do flips and rolls...you're not there yet, but that's what those 'Rate' settings are for.

Of course, the low kv motors with small props, on 3S also play a factor.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:21 PM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
650 Posts
Motors won't arm....

I've just moved my all my gear from my HT FPV frame to Flip frame.
The only major change in the system are new HK Simon K ESC's.
-I've calibrate the new ESC's (per Van's directions in this thread).
-The red power wire has been disconnected for each ESC leading to the FC.
- Normal Naza flashes appear fine.

I suspect two things and hope someone can validate.
1. I calibrated without putting trim to lowest setting. Is that required?
2. Thinking I should recalibrate through NAZA assistant.

Any other ideas to consider?

UPDATE: Lowering throttle trim for calibration worked.
I'll re-calibrate with NAZA next
Puget Sound Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Puget Sound Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Puget Sound Flyer; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
531 Posts
I thought I would update my progress . I went to park today and did some FPV with my Flip and the 9 inch props. Line of sight the wobbles are alot better but trying to fly it FPV at the park was difficult with it wobbling , its alot worse in the camera picture. Also it was difficult to make the quad track forward for any length of time in manual mode , it felt like it would have problems at speed and then it would rear itself backward unpredictably . My VC450 never did that. After going home and watching the Gopro footage I almost want to vomit from the wobbles . I getting pretty sad here . I went home and took off the carbon fiber 9 inch props and I put a set of 8 inch plastic props and the quad is alot faster and its steadier but the wobble is still there and I can still here the engines going ZING ZING ZING that has never seemed to stop , it gets better but never stops and my VC450 never did that . I have some new ESC's coming but Im not holding out mucj hope at this point
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined Apr 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth View Post
Tuff day flying today. My family and I are spending the weekend here in beautiful Lake Tahoe. Was out getting some awesome video along the shores this morning and had a little video glitch while I was out about 400 yards (FPV). My flip took a gentle plunge into Lake Tahoe in about 3 feet of water.

*** any tips from anyone thats been down this road are appreciated... Thanks guys...
Mel
I also had a little video glitch while flying over the breaking waves in Big Sur. My HT-450 went down in the surfline and rocks, never to be returned. Quads make poor submarines. No recovery from salt water. If you fly, you cry! I have been an underwater photographer for over 30 years and I have never recovered a camera from a flood in either fresh or salt water. If the GoPro works, that is amazing. I do fly my GoPro in a w/p housing when flying over water but it is so heavy it cuts flight times.

I love the new design on the Flip-FPV. I just got done building another this weekend and love the ease of access for repair. It flies wonderful and I will never fly over water again w/o the floats. Floats saved me twice on the Smith River. I had a bad ESC that overheated and downed my quad in the river but I never drowned the Naza flight controller or receiver. At least not yet...
Diamondback68 is offline Find More Posts by Diamondback68
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:42 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve34 View Post
I thought I would update my progress . I went to park today and did some FPV with my Flip and the 9 inch props. Line of sight the wobbles are alot better but trying to fly it FPV at the park was difficult with it wobbling , its alot worse in the camera picture. Also it was difficult to make the quad track forward for any length of time in manual mode , it felt like it would have problems at speed and then it would rear itself backward unpredictably . My VC450 never did that. After going home and watching the Gopro footage I almost want to vomit from the wobbles . I getting pretty sad here . I went home and took off the carbon fiber 9 inch props and I put a set of 8 inch plastic props and the quad is alot faster and its steadier but the wobble is still there and I can still here the engines going ZING ZING ZING that has never seemed to stop , it gets better but never stops and my VC450 never did that . I have some new ESC's coming but Im not holding out mucj hope at this point
Are you using Multiwii? If so, did you try adjusting the LPF filter in the sketch?
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:44 AM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
650 Posts
Maiden Flight

I'm very pleased with the new frame and ESC's.
Burning a couple of batts LOS around the local park was perhaps the smoothest flight I've had on a HT frame.

I suspect the new ESC's help but think that the single piece arms must contribute to smoothing out the flight as well.

Back to the workbench to clean up the wires and mount the replay XD.

I'll be flying the flip out of this frame this summer

Weighs in at 2lbs 12ozs w/out FPV gear
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Puget Sound Flyer; Feb 19, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:32 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
Still playing with the anti-vibration mount plates. Lightened them up, they are working well so far. The will mount to the standard FLIP FPV.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:19 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
How are you guys mounting the foam pool noodle landing gear? I made mine around 1.5 inches wide, but then cut off the edge of one side.. so, instead of an O shape, it's more, a C shape, and then the open part of the C attached to the frame, and then a cable time - but they keep coming off.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Are you using Multiwii? If so, did you try adjusting the LPF filter in the sketch?
Today I reinstalled 2.1 firmware and I activated the 98 hz filter on gyro and I activated the filter on the Acc at 100 . I then fired it up outside . OMG I won't know for sure until I wring it out at the park but damn this copter is crazy stable . I put it into a hover and it doesn't move at all . Responds to commands well and tracks forward without wobbling . I don't know what the heck was wrong with it this whole time but its like night vs day how steady it looks now . I'm done I quit lol
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:04 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Ok I just got my naza with GPS in for my flip that has 850 kv motors on 4s with 10 in props. Does anyone have good gains for this frame and maybe similar power setup?
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:24 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2012
342 Posts
Looking good any idea when these will be selling as an option or part of the kit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
Still playing with the anti-vibration mount plates. Lightened them up, they are working well so far. The will mount to the standard FLIP FPV.
leemann is offline Find More Posts by leemann
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:51 PM
I'd FPV it.
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,928 Posts
Flip FPV...ready for FPV

Well have been getting the flip where I want it at a snails pace. 30+Los flights getting her dialed in. She is solid and good to go. 90% of flight is in manual mode with a little ATTI to chill up high. (can post Naza gains, but WebDr's were a great starting point). Getting the FPV gear in as clean as I could and test flying with more weight as I go. Still a couple more wires to deal with and need to lose the power tap from flight pack...(got ahead of myself) Settled in at 1450AUW. Have got good video from hero1 r3 with no jello so Im happy. FPV maiden to come this weekend...
Ho-Jazz is online now Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Last edited by Ho-Jazz; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:17 AM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
650 Posts
Ho Jazz
That Quad's a beauty but for gods sake clean up your workbench
RCG Plus Member