HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
hi guys , more from my experiences with the Flip FPV.

Slowly I have been approaching something I would call stable flight with this setup. I took some time today and I re-did the mount for my Quadrino Zoom FC. I threw out the plastic stands that it comes with after examining them they had cracks and obvious signs of age and were flexing so I cut 4 new ones from some threaded nylon standoff I had lying around, much stiffer, then I found 4 tiny rubber 'O' rings and I screwed the board down using the rubber washers as vibration dampers and the nylon standoffs. It seems stronger.

First test after putting everything back together and its a big difference. More stable than before, Id say at least a 50% improvement over the previous flights. Its probable that there were vibrations getting to the Quadrino and messing up the Multiwii.

I began again trying different PID values . Still having issues with it wandering/wobbling but much less pronounced and so after trying serveral different numbers. I thought maybe my issue is the prop size. This quad is not as heavy as it was when I had it setup on the VC450 and I notice it can hover at less throttle( just above midstick), I was thinking I might get lucky and find that Im at a good weight with the hero3 without its protective case and only 3S 2600 mAh batteries for the 8 inch props to provide enough lift and the quad might benefit from some added gyroscopic effect from the props having to spin faster to provide lift.

I put on the 8 inch props and test flew it. Its much more stable and the wobble is gone, it wanders a bit but that could have been the wind and Im sure my PID's are not right for the change in prop size.
It feels better for sure but I have limited space in the back yard so I cant say for sure if Im finished until I take it out to the field and fly some fast circles around. Weather today was terrible and I only have a tiny space to do tests here at home and Ive just run out of daylight for today so more tommoro.

my total flying weight right now including the Gopro 3 without the protective case including 2600mAh 3S main battery and 460mAh FPV battery + video Tx + FPV board cam = 1260 g

with the 8 inch props my flight time just hovering i the back yard was 8:30 !!
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:01 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Okay, I'm home and watch the vid. Some inputs:

1. Yes, expo helps in Manual mode. I normally use ~35-45% (softer around center).
2. The wobbles (when your wife bravely got closer) look to be to high a Manual 'P'. Try reducing it in .5 increments until if feels/looks smoother
2A. It's easier/better to do the PID tuning when it's not windy
2B. If adjusting the Manual 'P' doesn't help much, go into the sketch, Config.h, and find the section on LPF Filter. Uncomment (take away the '//' marks from the 96hz or 98hz...whichever it is, for the type of gyro sensor you have...I believe it should be the MCU6050 for your board. Load the sketch and try again. Adjusting the LPF helps filter out vibrations from the gyro logic. I've got some frames I had to drop the LPF down to 24hz to smooth things out. Loading script changes doesn't effect your PID settings, but check before and after to make sure.
3. The 'squeals' is the noise generated by the ESCs (to the motors) when rapidly adjusting the motor throttles to keep things stable. Also commonly called the '8Khz whine'. What ESCs are you using? The Witespy flashed ones or something different? The SimonK ESCs are normally much quieter than unflashed ESC. It all varies though. Sometime my flashed ones have some whine were my stock ones are nice and quiet. Don't fret over it...it's part of the world of multi's.
4. You're getting there. I was never that brave to try in winds with so little multi experience.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:02 PM
Team Cobra USA .
Joined Jan 2006
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve34 View Post
hi guys , more from my experiences with the Flip FPV.

Slowly I have been approaching something I would call stable flight with this setup. I took some time today and I re-did the mount for my Quadrino Zoom FC. I threw out the plastic stands that it comes with after examining them they had cracks and obvious signs of age and were flexing so I cut 4 new ones from some threaded nylon standoff I had lying around, much stiffer, then I found 4 tiny rubber 'O' rings and I screwed the board down using the rubber washers as vibration dampers and the nylon standoffs. It seems stronger.

First test after putting everything back together and its a big difference. More stable than before, Id say at least a 50% improvement over the previous flights. Its probable that there were vibrations getting to the Quadrino and messing up the Multiwii.

I began again trying different PID values . Still having issues with it wandering/wobbling but much less pronounced and so after trying serveral different numbers. I thought maybe my issue is the prop size. This quad is not as heavy as it was when I had it setup on the VC450 and I notice it can hover at less throttle, I was thinking I might get lucky and find that Im at a good weight with the hero3 without its protective case and only 3S 2600 mAh batteries for the 8 inch props to provide enough lift and the quad might benefit from some added gyroscopic effect from the props having to spin faster to provide lift.

I put the 8 inch props on and hovered a full battery down to low voltage cutoff from the onboard lipo alarm. Flight was a lot more stable than it was with the 9 inch props. I was certainly hovering at higher throttle (just over half stick on 9 inch props and now with 8 inch about 3/4 stick hovering) .

It feels better for sure but I have limited space in the back yard so I cant say for sure if Im finished until I take it out to the field and fly some fast circles around. Weather today was terrible and I only have a tiny space to do tests here at home and Ive just run out of daylight for today so more tommoro.

my total flying weight right now including the Gopro 3 without the protective case including 2600mAh 3S main battery and 460mAh FPV battery + video Tx + FPV board cam = 1260 g

with the 8 inch props my flight time just hovering i the back yard was 8:30 !!
glad you are getting things sorted steve, i wish i were able to help you in your quest but alas im just a noob.

i dont have a lipo alarm yet so i started off flying 4 minutes then seeing how much i put back into the pack. now im up to 7 minutes and im putting about 1500mah back in it on a 2800mah 3s lipo. of course im not doing any fpv yet. i hope you get all sorted

my bird so far, there is two lights where the gopro would sit that blink......i have a total of 8 lights
awdspider is online now Find More Posts by awdspider
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:58 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Okay, I'm home and watch the vid. Some inputs:

1. Yes, expo helps in Manual mode. I normally use ~35-45% (softer around center).
2. The wobbles (when your wife bravely got closer) look to be to high a Manual 'P'. Try reducing it in .5 increments until if feels/looks smoother
2A. It's easier/better to do the PID tuning when it's not windy
2B. If adjusting the Manual 'P' doesn't help much, go into the sketch, Config.h, and find the section on LPF Filter. Uncomment (take away the '//' marks from the 96hz or 98hz...whichever it is, for the type of gyro sensor you have...I believe it should be the MCU6050 for your board. Load the sketch and try again. Adjusting the LPF helps filter out vibrations from the gyro logic. I've got some frames I had to drop the LPF down to 24hz to smooth things out. Loading script changes doesn't effect your PID settings, but check before and after to make sure.
3. The 'squeals' is the noise generated by the ESCs (to the motors) when rapidly adjusting the motor throttles to keep things stable. Also commonly called the '8Khz whine'. What ESCs are you using? The Witespy flashed ones or something different? The SimonK ESCs are normally much quieter than unflashed ESC. It all varies though. Sometime my flashed ones have some whine were my stock ones are nice and quiet. Don't fret over it...it's part of the world of multi's.
4. You're getting there. I was never that brave to try in winds with so little multi experience.
Thanks man!
Going to try some expo this evening. I flew my 2200 mah 3s packs for around 3 minutes, and there was 74% left. I guess hovering is pretty easy on them. I have, however, order the 4S 4000mah pack, as well as 10" blades. I think that will help with the wobble too, as it resembled my old Trex450 when I had low head speed in the hover.

What's a 'manual P'? I will try adjust these and see, and also look at the sketch change.

The ESCs are the Witespy ones... 20A, with SimonK. If it's normal, then I am cool. Just sounded a bit strange.

And thanks for the kind words on my bravery. I will tell you, I am clenching my butt when I fly! And there are 'moments' where I am sure, I can hear a squeak from my tail pipe when it does that rocking thing, and goes a way I don't want it to! And then you 'push' it away with the sticks, and you can hear the props smashing the air. Love it.

I will go to the park, which you can see in the background of the video, soon. Much more room, and will try a figure 8. Just wish I could get level right, in the event I lose orientation, and I can flick a 'LEVEL' switch. Would be nice - but my level is pretty screwed. Manual feels like flying a heli. I was hoping Level would be easier. It's settings?

XHover said he would share his settings - but he's gone MIA! XHOVER! Help!!!
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:40 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Thanks man!
Going to try some expo this evening. I flew my 2200 mah 3s packs for around 3 minutes, and there was 74% left. I guess hovering is pretty easy on them. I have, however, order the 4S 4000mah pack, as well as 10" blades. I think that will help with the wobble too, as it resembled my old Trex450 when I had low head speed in the hover.

What's a 'manual P'? I will try adjust these and see, and also look at the sketch change.

The ESCs are the Witespy ones... 20A, with SimonK. If it's normal, then I am cool. Just sounded a bit strange.

And thanks for the kind words on my bravery. I will tell you, I am clenching my butt when I fly! And there are 'moments' where I am sure, I can hear a squeak from my tail pipe when it does that rocking thing, and goes a way I don't want it to! And then you 'push' it away with the sticks, and you can hear the props smashing the air. Love it.

I will go to the park, which you can see in the background of the video, soon. Much more room, and will try a figure 8. Just wish I could get level right, in the event I lose orientation, and I can flick a 'LEVEL' switch. Would be nice - but my level is pretty screwed. Manual feels like flying a heli. I was hoping Level would be easier. It's settings?

XHover said he would share his settings - but he's gone MIA! XHOVER! Help!!!
In your Gui (where you adjust PIDs) there's the Manual PIDs for pitch and roll at the top and Level towards the bottom. You Manual 'P' for pitch and roll is at 4.5 right now. Try dropping it down to 4.0 on both and try again, then try 3.5, and try. If you get to low the thing will drift all over the place...so go in small .5 increment adjustments, then you go fine tune in finer increments as you get close to what 'feels' right to you.

The level shouldn't be that hard to set up. First sit the frame on a level surface and do the Accel Calibration via the GUI. Then hover and do the accel 'stick trim' as discussed earlier. Of course, you're always welcome to bring it over to my house as we can tune it together. Las Vegas isn't that far a drive from Australia is it???
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:42 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
981 Posts
Could one of you that are running APM or Naza (with a GPS) and FPV gear give me an all-up weight of your flip without lipo or GoPro? I'm just curious to get a ballpark of how much extra weight is added to mine by making the clean and dirty section (added one frame member and a bunch of extra hardware).
Thanks!! Mel
melsailsnorth is online now Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Last edited by melsailsnorth; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:34 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Todays Flip ride...
Still a noob but Im growing a bigger pair every flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4J16g35IA
Congrats on your new license.

KJ4RZZ
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:46 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,069 Posts
thanks brother
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
798 Posts
Finally ordered myself a Flip after going through my parts bin and realizing that I have everythng for a new multicopter except for the frame
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:55 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,939 Posts
Hi, we have updated the landing gear. The new gear looks almost the same but is much much stronger, and doesn't break at the top tab.

It's also a little easier to install.
http://www.hoverthings.com/flip-flip...ear-black.html
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:33 PM
Angry Bird
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2013
41 Posts
Newbe Build

Want to start out by saying this is a great thread. I’ve been following it for a while and have learned a lot.
I’m a newbe and getting ready to build my first quad. I would like it to be an FPV and would like to keep the budget around $850.00 (- transmitter)
Things I have or coming..
Turnigy 9xr Transmitter Mode 2 – (on a slow boat from China)
OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 2.4Ghz transmitter module (same slow boat)
FS-TH9XB – Module 2.4 Ghz 9CH Module (for my V949)
V949 Beetle Quad (BNF) – To play around with.

Here is what I think I need (sure I’m missing stuff)
(HoverThings) FLIP FPV FRAME (Camo/Black) – $100
5 - HT-450 Motor 1050 kva (House) from (Ready to Fly Quads) $20 each (1 extra I’ve been listening Vantasstic)
5 - Pairs of Props 9X4.7 CF from (Ready to Fly Quads) @ 5.00 pair
5 – ESC SimonK Flashed 20 amp (Rapid ESC) from (Ready to Fly Quads) $20 each
1 – MultiWii Pro 2.0 Controller W/GPS Option from (Ready to Fly Quads) $49
1 – Ublox 6M GPS Module from (Ready to Fly Quads) $30
1 – OrangeRx R910 Spektrum DSM2 9 CH 2.4Ghz TwinPort Rx from HK $24.95
LIPO (Should this be built as a 3S or 4S sytem?)
MISC Stuff – From Ready to Fly Quads
Max B6 Balance Charge $30
3.5mm Gold Connectors (12pair) $7.00
Battery Strap $2.99
Battery Monitor (Balanced Lead Style) $6.00
Receiver wire set $ 5.00
Pocket cell Battery Monitor $ 5.00

FPV Stuff
Mini OSD from (Ready to Fly Quads) $19.99
??? Video Transmitter ( not sure what I need ) $125.00
Video Goggles (Which ones?) Fatshark Dominator FPV Goggles $300
*I Have A GoPro Hero2 should I use this for FPV?

Future Upgrades
Dragon Link $269.00
Diversity Box (oracle) $159.00

So this adds up to around $554 before FPV stuff.
Please give me your input. Thanks in advance.
Mark
markcaso is offline Find More Posts by markcaso
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,876 Posts
Great sutff! A lot to read! I just picked up a second hand HT FPV frame. I have it running 3S and 10x4.5 props, DJI Naza, and Spektrum (DX8 & AR7010)

Flies awesome! My first "real" quad!

My question though - what are the strongest motors you can run on 3S with the 10" props? I want more OOMPH already
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:01 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
Great sutff! A lot to read! I just picked up a second hand HT FPV frame. I have it running 3S and 10x4.5 props, DJI Naza, and Spektrum (DX8 & AR7010)

Flies awesome! My first "real" quad!

My question though - what are the strongest motors you can run on 3S with the 10" props? I want more OOMPH already

Congrats welcome aboard. Have you tried climbouts with auto level turned off? The naza really limits the climb in ATTI mode... not sure why, it drives me nuts, but it flies so well I've learned to live with it.

I did just order some 9" props with pitches all the way up to 6 to see if it improves my climbouts.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:22 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,876 Posts
I really don't ever fly it in atti mode.. I flicked it a couple times jsut to watch how it holds altitude, but other than that, it's manual mode at all times.
I will try some 9" props too and see if I can't get more out of it.

I don't want to go to 4S because I have a few 3S batts already and nothing else to use them on

Here's a picture of mine with my Edge.. I took the Fatshark kit off because it's not working

TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:49 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcaso View Post
Want to start out by saying this is a great thread. I’ve been following it for a while and have learned a lot.
I’m a newbe and getting ready to build my first quad. I would like it to be an FPV and would like to keep the budget around $850.00 (- transmitter)
Things I have or coming..
Turnigy 9xr Transmitter Mode 2 – (on a slow boat from China)
OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 2.4Ghz transmitter module (same slow boat)
FS-TH9XB – Module 2.4 Ghz 9CH Module (for my V949)
V949 Beetle Quad (BNF) – To play around with.

Here is what I think I need (sure I’m missing stuff)
(HoverThings) FLIP FPV FRAME (Camo/Black) – $100
5 - HT-450 Motor 1050 kva (House) from (Ready to Fly Quads) $20 each (1 extra I’ve been listening Vantasstic)
5 - Pairs of Props 9X4.7 CF from (Ready to Fly Quads) @ 5.00 pair
5 – ESC SimonK Flashed 20 amp (Rapid ESC) from (Ready to Fly Quads) $20 each
1 – MultiWii Pro 2.0 Controller W/GPS Option from (Ready to Fly Quads) $49
1 – Ublox 6M GPS Module from (Ready to Fly Quads) $30
1 – OrangeRx R910 Spektrum DSM2 9 CH 2.4Ghz TwinPort Rx from HK $24.95
LIPO (Should this be built as a 3S or 4S sytem?)
MISC Stuff – From Ready to Fly Quads
Max B6 Balance Charge $30
3.5mm Gold Connectors (12pair) $7.00
Battery Strap $2.99
Battery Monitor (Balanced Lead Style) $6.00
Receiver wire set $ 5.00
Pocket cell Battery Monitor $ 5.00

FPV Stuff
Mini OSD from (Ready to Fly Quads) $19.99
??? Video Transmitter ( not sure what I need ) $125.00
Video Goggles (Which ones?) Fatshark Dominator FPV Goggles $300
*I Have A GoPro Hero2 should I use this for FPV?

Future Upgrades
Dragon Link $269.00
Diversity Box (oracle) $159.00

So this adds up to around $554 before FPV stuff.
Please give me your input. Thanks in advance.
Mark
My Inputs:
Fatsharks...yech, phewy. Had the Predators, couldn't wait to sell them to some unsuspecting fool. I use Vuzix Wrap 920s in deep sky goggles. Much better pictue and way more comfortable (not to mention A LOT less expensive than FS). That said, I recommend you start with a portable LCD (7" is plenty) with a sunshade (got my sunshade from B&H Photo (Marshall brand) for ~$19. This allows you to quickly transfer from FPV to LOS while learning. A LCD and sunshade should run ~$100 or less.

1050kv motors and 9" props is a 3S setup.

Using GoPro for video feed is fine...been doing it like this for year(s). The GoPro feed isn't as sharp as other cameras I've seen. The 600TVL camera from Security2000 (or something like that) has good reviews and can be had for ~$45-$65.

Video transmitter...If you go with a 5.8Ghz (smaller antennas, less distance and penetration) I'd go with no less than 400mW...600mW preferred. If going with 1.3GHz (what I use) then 300mW is plenty. Make sure you get a system that all uses the same voltage...i.e. 12v VTx and 12v camera, 5v VTx and 5v Camera, etc. If you go the GoPro route then it doesn't matter as the GoPro is powered via it's own battery.

Enjoy...
RCG Plus Member