Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:04 PM
Registered User
Boris B's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined May 2012
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
I tested the frame with square and rectangular layout. FPV frames have their major weight at the front and rear (camera and battery), this is a lot of mass to move in yaw and moving it requires large props and powerful motors. A quad does not have very much yaw authority and most standard quads have most mass in the center (very little effort to rotate).

So by moving that mass towards center (rectangular layout) yaw authority is better. I didn't just guess here, I flew 20 different versions of this frame starting with a square layout, and going more rectangular with each version. So there is a method to my madness beyond speculation.

That said, I can make longer center plates for those who would like to test this for themselves
You might be right there. The most common problem with the stretched H frames is currently very sensitive pitch and seesawing yaw under some circumstances because all mass in the front and back like you say.
I am definately thinking to try this frame out.
Boris B is online now Find More Posts by Boris B
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbungel View Post
You might be right there. The most common problem with the stretched H frames is currently very sensitive pitch and seesawing yaw under some circumstances because all mass in the front and back like you say.
I am definately thinking to try this frame out.
Boris u should order this frame now !!!!
Then on the next meeting Roni and me and you will be awesome together

Grts Dave
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbungel View Post
You might be right there. The most common problem with the stretched H frames is currently very sensitive pitch and seesawing yaw under some circumstances because all mass in the front and back like you say.
I am definately thinking to try this frame out.
Hmmm...now that I think of it. My OV3RQuad frame is square for the motors, but a long, skinny frame. I did notice it seemed to act differently in yaw than my HT-FPV frame. I noticed it at least and thought I just needed to adjust the yaw gains some more. Perhaps it is exactly as Tom described instead...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:45 AM
Registered User
Boris B's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined May 2012
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda Inc. View Post
Boris u should order this frame now !!!!
Then on the next meeting Roni and me and you will be awesome together

Grts Dave
I know that would be awesome chase flight with tree of us ;p with the flip. You know I am moving, so there is not that much time to build and with this cold outside it's hard to find some time to fly. I will probably get mine in february once I am finished with moving. By the way 3 other ready to fly quads are also screaming for some attention .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Hmmm...now that I think of it. My OV3RQuad frame is square for the motors, but a long, skinny frame. I did notice it seemed to act differently in yaw than my HT-FPV frame. I noticed it at least and thought I just needed to adjust the yaw gains some more. Perhaps it is exactly as Tom described instead...
Yeah I have an iconic-x and had a very sensitive pitch because of all that spread weight and the yaw ofcourse needed very high kp's to get it stable, because the huge forces involved to make it yaw. More weight to the middle of the frame seems a good compromise to being it less symetric. There is just much more involved in frame science than just symmetry I think.
Well perhaps we have to wait more flights with it for people to report how it is as I am also talking without any flying with it .
Boris B is online now Find More Posts by Boris B
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Just finished the temporary build of the flip
Well not really finished cause need to fix the esc and few things more still
Need to optimise it but for now it has to do haha.




Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Last edited by Anda Inc.; Dec 20, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:27 PM
Registered User
Boris B's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined May 2012
617 Posts
Nice man.....now clean up your mess
Boris B is online now Find More Posts by Boris B
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,458 Posts
Looks cool I can't wait to get one and start doing some more crazy FPV
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:39 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,106 Posts
I just finished with some tuning hover tests in the (cold) back yard. I couldn't wait to try the Flip FPV so I didn't even balance the props. I ended up having to adjust my Multiwii F/C LPF down to 20hz and my Pitch/Roll P to 3.5...might end up going back to 4 after the LPF changes. It felt pretty good. I'm sure I'll end up with a little more tuning once I do some open field flying with it. Currently my setup is:
Flip FPV Frame (of course)
Nanowii Flight Controller
HK Multistar 20A ESCs flashed with SimonK KDA file
NTM 750kv motors (run fine and quite with the new SimonK firmware)
9x4.7 GemFan props
4S 2650mAh LiPo
AUW with this configuration is 1171g

I haven't measured the flight amps yet...will do that with the open field tests...I'll also have the props balanced by then to. After that I'll add the FPV equipment (GoPro, 1.3GHz 300mW VTx and a HK Simple OSD (to start with...will probably upgrade to my Dragon OSD later on).

I'll report back once I get some more flying done. So far I'm happy with it. I think I'm gunna like this frame...small yet plent of room. Good job Tom!!!
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:57 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,106 Posts
I'm looking forward to tomorrow. My Flip FPV is primed and ready for some open field flights. I strapped on my HD Keychain camera for now. I've got some new spacers being delivered so I can create a 1.5" gap between the frame plates. This will allow me to house my battery and Dragon OSD between the plates and keep the upper plate open for the controller and VTx. I hope to have some good flight reports tomorrow.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:02 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,458 Posts
Cool let me know how it goes also post a video I'd possible.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:49 AM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Looks cool I can't wait to get one and start doing some more crazy FPV
I'm surprised you haven't gotten this yet.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:46 AM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrave1er View Post
...But anyways yeah the Naza GPS alone is $400. Why does it cost that much? Because they can charge it and people buy it. Simple as that. No other reason. Until or unless competitors make products that can rival the Naza and GPS combo it won't be changing dramatically anytime soon. However other FC's like OpenPilot are being worked on all the time and there is a new version of OpenPilot being tested now called the Revolution which should be on par or better than Naza eventually. I just wouldn't wait for it because progress is slow but steady...
Arducopter 2.5 is an up-and-coming competition to Naza.

It can do so much more and the price is half of the Naza. In fact, you can even get a cheaper one at rctimer, a clone version (Arduflyer), for under $100 shipped.

Like the OpenPilot, Arducopter 2.5 is also consistently being improved. However, it is readily available to an average joe multicopter pilot like me. OpenPilot CC or Revo is almost impossible to get your hands on because it is always out of stock, and takes months before it gets restocked. If it does get stocked, they have such a limited supply. Unless you're one of the beta testers, if you're lucky, they might ship one to you.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Dec 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:55 AM
Custom quad builder
tech69x's Avatar
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
I wouldn't be counting on the Revo to much
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:09 AM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
I'm surprised you haven't gotten this yet.
It's already in the works lol. I'll have one soon to test and make some videos with
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:44 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,106 Posts
Just back after my open field maiden with the Flip FPV. I like it. I liked it was smaller and lighter than my OV3RQuad FPV frame. I felt plenty maneuverable. It was pretty quiet. I strapped on my HD Keychain camera, but it turned out the battery was to low so no recordings today Sorry.

Last night I balanced and installed some Gemfan 9" carbon mix props...to much vibration. I replaced them with GWS 9x5x3 3-blade props. Much smoother. With my NTM 750kv motors, 9x5x3 props, and 4S 2650 and 3000mAh packs I was pulling:
Amps: 30A max, 11A avg, ~12A cruising around
Watts: 422W max, 160W avg, ~170W cruising aroud
Flying time: 9.5 minutes with 1800mAh consumed

Next I need to mount my GoPro and video equipment and see what the extra weight does. I'm also charging up the HD keychain camera so I can try that too.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Show Us Your Hoverthings FPV Frame scrape Multirotor Talk 2149 Apr 18, 2014 05:06 PM
Discussion Hoverthings quad flipping and crashing randomly? easymoney99 Multirotor Talk 9 Jun 12, 2012 02:17 AM
Sold Hoverthings HT-FPV black Lucasberg Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 3 May 04, 2012 08:10 AM
Sold Hoverthings FPV Quad Plug-n-play W/ Naza Blucross Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 1 May 01, 2012 06:26 AM
Discussion Test flight of Hoverthings.com FPV 'Ralphie' frame daign FPV Talk 1 Jan 16, 2012 01:27 PM