to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:28 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2spy04 View Post
Van, thanks for the reply! Quick question, does this work with a flashed Hobbyking board?
This is a standard Multiwii function. It should work on any MW controller.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:29 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
As a suggestion, you might use some pool noodle foam on the bottom of the legs while you are test flying and getting used to the quad. It takes the brunt impact out of hitting the ground when you cut throttle to land in a hurry. It is very helpful when you are flying FPV and learning how to judge distance and closing speed while landing in FPV view. Since I used pool noodle "feet" I have yet to break anything on any version of FPV quad I have had to date.
Plus your quad will float too. I used pool noodles on my Hoverthings 450 quad for water landings (as seen in my Wet-n-Dry video...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:47 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Hey chaps. The video froma page back, of my motor graphs not returning to all even - is that a fault, or do I have a setting I need to fiddle with? Or is it normal?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:51 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Hey chaps. The video froma page back, of my motor graphs not returning to all even - is that a fault, or do I have a setting I need to fiddle with? Or is it normal?
That's pretty normal while sitting on the ground. The controllers do some weird things while restrained, but once in flight they act normally (sometimes, occassionaly, usually)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve34 View Post
Hi guys - I have an issue. I was flying a VC450 with Quadrino and it was flying really smooth and predictable, gyro mode only.
I took all the equipment and put it on a Flip FPV frame. I finally got to test hover it and it pretty unstable. I havnt changed any settings in the PID since I made the change, I just need some feedback. As I bring up the throttle slowly the quad is already getting a little tiny bit jumpy as it gets light on the ground before take off. In a hover it wobbles a little and I can hear the engines going zing zing zing as its wobbling , whereas in the old frame they were steady not zinging. Any help is appreciated

edit: So I just re-calibrated my ESC's and I dropped the 'P' gain down from 2.8 -> 2.4 on pitch and I dropped 'P' gain from 2.8 -> 2.6 on roll . On the VC450 I had both pitch and roll the same with the thinking that with a symetrical design they should be the same, my think here is with the long body of the Flip design that roll and pitch gains might not be the same ?
The result in a short hover test was that it definately got better but its still not good. I'll tweak again and report here result.

edit 2: I dropped the 'P' gain on pitch to 2.1 and on roll to 2.3 and I did not see it get any better. Im going to try 'P' gain of 1.9 on both and see if that solves it. Back in a few .

ok after that test its still wobbling nervously about the level position in a hover, but with the lower 'P' gain settings it feels bad on the controls not locked in as far as moving from side to side front to back , before it is wobbling yes but it still moved about to the control correctly now too washed out feeling.

Im going to try turning 'P' gain back up a little bit until It feels better and then try changing other settings
The weather the last couple days was windy and rainy so I could not get outside to test my new Flip. With the days I had doing nothing I re-soldered all the wires from the motors to the ESC's, I re-calibrated all the ESC's and re-balanced all the props plus changed out a prop that wasnt balancing as nice as the other three for a prop that balanced better. Finally just went out and I hovered a battery pack for about 6 minutes and the quad was not doing anything weird or unpredictable. The herky jerky behavior is gone. The controls were a bit wishy washy since I had been messing about with the PID's but I can tune that now that I have it so tuning is possible.
I'm happy it wasnt my Quadrino that was broken. Finally I can get back to flying.
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:24 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I tried another hover today, as I got my new flight battery - BUT ... looks like I may have an issue.

1. Power.
I'm not convinced I have enough power to carry the frame and pack. I say this, because I attached my 4000mah 3S Nano-Tech to the frame, and at full stick, it battled to get up. Gets maybe 20cms up, and just wobbles. So - am I under powered for the size of pack?

2. Drift.
When I power up, and only put in throttle, with LEVEL set to engaged, should the frame not lift straight up? Instead, it comes back at me, and also, drifts right straight away. I know I am not going high, but surely it should hang about the same area when I just add throttle?

I am using this motor, and this ESC.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
514 Posts
Quote:
I tried another hover today, as I got my new flight battery - BUT ... looks like I may have an issue.

1. Power.
I'm not convinced I have enough power to carry the frame and pack. I say this, because I attached my 4000mah 3S Nano-Tech to the frame, and at full stick, it battled to get up. Gets maybe 20cms up, and just wobbles. So - am I under powered for the size of pack?

2. Drift.
When I power up, and only put in throttle, with LEVEL set to engaged, should the frame not lift straight up? Instead, it comes back at me, and also, drifts right straight away. I know I am not going high, but surely it should hang about the same area when I just add throttle?

Whats your total weight ? Before you add battery and camera.

Mine without battery and without GoPro but including FPV gear weighs 960grams

When I add GoPro 3 in its case + 2600mAh 3S Hyperion battery my flying weight is 1.39 KG which feels light to me and I have alot of power seems like and Im using the readytoflyquads standard motors
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, CO
Joined Jan 2013
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth View Post
Just got these props. Exact copy(shape) of Graupners but in Carbon Fiber. Came very well- balanced and they fly really nice. Only $39 for eight of em. Worth a look if you like Graupners.
Melsailsnorth where did you get the props?
k2spy04 is offline Find More Posts by k2spy04
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:04 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve34 View Post
Whats your total weight ? Before you add battery and camera.

Mine without battery and without GoPro but including FPV gear weighs 960grams
I'm weighing in at 854grams (1.88054 lbs for you strange non-metric dark ages people. ).

Which seem pretty light! No idea how I am 100gms lighter. That's with small video tx and board camera. Maybe I should question my scale?

Photo is of my little helper, and the quad fully loaded with battery. 1168gms with 4000mah 3S Nano-Tech. And it seems - she don't wanna lift!
Is it maybe a problem that the battery is towards the back (Due to the GPS stand not allowing it to go forward? Or should the controller compensate for this and lift the tail when it notices the weight?
Last edited by Cralis; Feb 07, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Maiden

Well, I maidened mine in the basement tonight and it went well. I put my pool noddle feet on for the first flight and I found it very easy to fly even untrimmed and out of balance. It would not stay in one place very long, but I know the CG is off to begin with. I'm using the FLIP MWC $18 flight controller and I am impressed all ready.

I don't have my FPV gear on it yet until I test fly it some more and tune it a bit, but it does not need much adjustment to get it where I like it.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:32 PM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
724 Posts
Quote:

1. Power.

2. Drift.

That probably means your level needs to be trimmed out, which is fairly common. I known Van told you to take-off that way, but personally I would take-off in manual mode (no sensors turned on) which means you are hovering with gyro only. Adjust PIDs until you get a nice stable hover on a day with no wind. To me, this keeps it simple and you are the one mostly controlling the quad through you stick inputs.

Once you are there, then you can engage the level switch and start trimming out any drifting by the control stick movements previously discussed.
cquian is offline Find More Posts by cquian
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:35 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquian View Post
That probably means your level needs to be trimmed out, which is fairly common.
Thanks! Is that the thing where you disarm motors, full power, and then use the pitch and roll to trim things? I uploaded a video a page back where I show what's happening - and it LOOKS trimmed to me, but I am unsure. Should I try trim forward a bit and see if it stops coming back at me?

I also assume this has nothing to do which, what feels like a lack of power to lift?
Last edited by Cralis; Feb 07, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:58 AM
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Hi forum , on the video below i did a flight test with 2 of my quadcopters on a 1 mile+ round trip without a FPV ground station , low FPV frequencies or long range TX module , one of the quads is a DJI F450 and the other is a Flip-FPV , it was a bit breezy but the Flip manage that flight better than my F450 but i love both quads anyway .

Foxtech AIO goggles using 5.8ghz 400mw & 500mw 1 mile " 1.6 km+ " 3rd FPV test flight " narrated " (19 min 21 sec)
TheFlyingRookie is offline Find More Posts by TheFlyingRookie
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:28 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
I'm weighing in at 854grams (1.88054 lbs for you strange non-metric dark ages people. ).

Which seem pretty light! No idea how I am 100gms lighter. That's with small video tx and board camera. Maybe I should question my scale?

Photo is of my little helper, and the quad fully loaded with battery. 1168gms with 4000mah 3S Nano-Tech. And it seems - she don't wanna lift!
Is it maybe a problem that the battery is towards the back (Due to the GPS stand not allowing it to go forward? Or should the controller compensate for this and lift the tail when it notices the weight?
What size props are you using? I'm using 750kv motors or 4S with 10" props and mine flies good. I had 9" props and it was a little sluggish (on 4S). Thoser 775kv motors on 3S are probably going to need ~10" props minimum.
RCG Plus Member