HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:27 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth View Post
Just got these props. Exact copy(shape) of Graupners but in Carbon Fiber. Came very well- balanced and they fly really nice. Only $39 for eight of em. Worth a look if you like Graupners.
I was curious about the RCT CF props. Sounds like they might be worth a try. Perhaps on my next order with them...thanks for the report.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:59 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,186 Posts
I didnt like them. They are strong as heck but caused so much vibration. After switching to GemFans I wont be going back, they are so much smoother.

edit: the rct carbons were the spoon design, not the sport ones similar to the e-prop design.
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:05 AM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
1,067 Posts
yep, I was really cautious because I and several friends experienced the same thing with their "slow fly" style CF props. Fortunately, these were perfect balance and smooth. when you look at them close, you can see that they take care to hand-balance these and polish any imperfections after molding. A nice change for them Although it's a blatant copy of a Graupner, the design is proven very efficient and a strong performer. I agree, and love the GemFan CF mix props myself. Was just hoping to find something that would be a bit stronger but equally smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
I didnt like them. They are strong as heck but caused so much vibration. After switching to GemFans I wont be going back, they are so much smoother.

edit: the rct carbons were the spoon design, not the sport ones similar to the e-prop design.
melsailsnorth is online now Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Last edited by melsailsnorth; Feb 05, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I am making some progress on my build. Lots of deck room to stretch things out! I should have the lower deck done tonight and have the arms mounted and in place.

The quality and craftsmanship of this frame is impressive. I was comparing the weight of my old VC450 frame with all the extra plates and heavy wiring harness to this and the FLIP may end up weighing the same or less. We'll see....
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:38 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
How are you guys mounting your board cameras to your frame? I got my nice 600tvl, but not sure how to mount it. It's the board - no case (yet).
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:56 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Well, I plan to use the bracket that comes with the RMRC 540 OSD cam. The plan is to run shielded wire from the back mid deck where the OSD will be up to the front and terminate with a connector so I can swap out cameras for different conditions. My second camera is the Fat Shark RVC922 CCD one that does good in low light. I am thinking some sort of vibration fastener that can be removed quickly like a small wing nut.

Edit: Also considering some form foam holder with a velcro strap in place of using the bracket to hold it to the frame. I hard mounted my 540 cam to the VC450 frame and it worked fine.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:06 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
OK. For now, I have hot glued mine to the front.... I ordered the case for the camera a few days after the camera it's self... so it's a temp solution. Also, I am using the same flight pack for the video system, as I am with the ESCs, so getting a lot of noise. But have an LC filter on it's way.

My ESC is about to arrive, so might try a flight today - but, can someone confirm, what mode/settings should I ensure I use for the first hover flight?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:12 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
OK. For now, I have hot glued mine to the front.... I ordered the case for the camera a few days after the camera it's self... so it's a temp solution. Also, I am using the same flight pack for the video system, as I am with the ESCs, so getting a lot of noise. But have an LC filter on it's way.

My ESC is about to arrive, so might try a flight today - but, can someone confirm, what mode/settings should I ensure I use for the first hover flight?
For you, I'd try Atti/Stabilize mode first. First, though, put your quad on a level surface, connect to the FC with the GUI and 'calibrate' your accelerometers. Then try flying. The calibration should get you close to level flight (with little/no drift). If it does drift you can manually 'trim' the autolevel. To do this:
Land
Disarm
Advance (slowly) throttle to full (if the motors spool up you need to kill throttle and recheck you've disarmed it)
With throttle at full, use the pitch/roll sticks to input the amount of trim. Each full movement and back to center of the sticks is 'one click' of autolevel trim. If you quad was drifting back you want to trim in a couple of 'click's of forward pitch. Try two or three 'clicks' at a time and retest, retrim as required.
Reduce throttle to full off, arm the quad, slowly apply throttle, check for drift and retrim as required. DON'T try to do this with your Tx trim switches as this trim would also apply to Normal/Acro/Manual flight mode. Good luck and stay low.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:16 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
For you, I'd try Atti/Stabilize mode first.
Thanks Van!

I don't see this, though. I only see Level, Alt Hold, Mag, CamStab, CamTrig, Arm, Rth, PosHold, PassThru, HeadFree.

How do I set Atti/Stabilize?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:33 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,609 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Van!

I don't see this, though. I only see Level, Alt Hold, Mag, CamStab, CamTrig, Arm, Rth, PosHold, PassThru, HeadFree.

How do I set Atti/Stabilize?
In the GUI you want to find the section with the function selections. You want to click on the 'LEVEL' blocks for the switch you're using for the flight modes. When you select the block it'll turn green...indicating Autolevel will be active on with the switch position. If the block is left 'gray' then it will be in Manual mode when the Mode Switch is in that position. Then WRITE it to the controller.

Now find the screen with the different function lights in the lower right hand corner. Flip your Tx mode switch. When you're on a 'Stabilize' position the LEVEL indicator will light. When the LEVEL is not lit then you're in Manual mode. I've circled what/where to look for below. I hope this makes sense.

Oh, it takes a few seconds to register switch movements in the GUI, so move the switch and wait a few to see if the indicator changes or not.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:01 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Cool - so if I see 'LEVEL' light up, I'm in level mode, and that is a good mode to start off in?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:19 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,609 Posts
Quote:
Cool - so if I see 'LEVEL' light up, I'm in level mode, and that is a good mode to start off in?
For a noob...yeah, it's probably better. Manual mode won't try to level itself, so if it starts drifting it'll keep going until you stop it. Autolevel will try to level itself back out after you give it stick inputs...once you have the Accel Calibration and trimming (if/as needed) done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:20 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Not a great start.
Uploading video. Wasn't great. Not too much damage. Broke a leg (on the Quad!)
IT felt very ... jittery. Sliding all over the place. If I let the sticks go - it would have been disaster. Maybe Level mode wan't working? Not sure.
Uploading video, and will screenshot my settings. Damn.
Also, a different ESC is playing up now.
Last edited by Cralis; Feb 05, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:51 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Failed Attempted Maiden of my FLIP-FPV from Hovertings (0 min 0 sec)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,609 Posts
Quote:
Drat...not available for viewing yet...will have to wait until tomorrow night to watch the carnage. Don't worry, it's part of the joy of learning to fly multicopters. We've all bashed them in once or twice...and sometimes a lot more!!!!
RCG Plus Member