HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Ooo... YEah, I saw that too, now that you showed me the site! Their frame build video is amazing! But way too much soldering for me. I am not sure what 750kv actually means. The motors I have in my cart from REadyToFly are the 1050kva ones... These. And I am getting the Multiwii settings from HoverX, so am too scared to change too much from his amazing setup.

Hoping ReadyToFly gets back to me soon... If anyone has personal contact with him, can you give him a nudge? Money waiting in PayPal to send to him
I talked to paul from readytoflyquads yesterday, i know he is super busy with orders, he said he will get escs back in stock by this weekend hopefully this helps.
xhover is online now Find More Posts by xhover
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:27 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks for that! Awesome.
I'm trying to wing it that he can get a frame in the package from me (As he builds them), so that I can save on postage. So, hoping I can order everything from him. That would be the most awesome turn out ever. Then, I grab your settings - glue the frame together, throw it in the air, and it flys like an eagle! Right? RIGHT??
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:34 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,295 Posts
@xhover....

your flip flies amazingly well...ive been thinking of dabling in the multiwii boards and the one you have seems to fit the bill and my budget...is it worth it in your opinion? I know that the tuning can sometimes be a bit of a chore...but it looks like its worth it in the end...
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:41 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Just saw this post, from a few pages back, and maybe a bit of wee wee in my pants when I saw the power board! That's a lot of solder! haha! That's the bit I fear. Also, I keep asking, but haven't seen an answer: How do you attach the Multiwii to the frame, and the GPS? Do I need to get extra screws? Stand offs?
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:48 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2012
20 Posts
new hoverthings flip

Hi guys,
Adding my hoverthings flip to the thread, Set up as follows.
Hoverthing Flip frame , 30amp Dji Escs , 900kv Tiger Motors, 9 and 10 inch Gemfan carbon mix props,( prefering the 9 inch at this stage)Gaui landing gear ( 2 flip legs broke on a heavy landing) ,Hyperion 3 and 4 cell 4000mah batterys,( both timed at 8 min flights however have reached 16 mins on both at testing stage.) Naza with GPS,Spektrum DX6i with RTH function programed on mix channel,( works well ) .Gains : pitch 130,roll 130,yaw 75,
vertical 185,Attitude p=140 r=140.Weight 1057g without battery , 1373g with 3 cell,1479g with 4 cell .All I can say is this thing flys like a dream,Im wrapt with the frame and cant compliment the design enough.Next step for me is
FPV, like the look of the equipment from the guys who make the scarab frames for fpv seems like a good addition to the hoverthing.enjoy the pics.
Cheers .
mike.stewart is offline Find More Posts by mike.stewart
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:30 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Very nice!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:25 AM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,859 Posts
Just wanted to say if Paul or I are slow to responding to emails, it just because we are trying toc catch up from the holidays... we were closed for a week and the orders piled up, and Paul was hit hard through christmas and has like 40 quads to build haha.
vic20owner is online now Find More Posts by vic20owner
Last edited by vic20owner; Jan 04, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:36 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Just saw this post, from a few pages back, and maybe a bit of wee wee in my pants when I saw the power board! That's a lot of solder! haha! That's the bit I fear. Also, I keep asking, but haven't seen an answer: How do you attach the Multiwii to the frame, and the GPS? Do I need to get extra screws? Stand offs?
Yes, get a handfull of standoffs. You can get bobbins like here or just regular standoffs.

So with the HT frame you will need to get yourself 4 standoffs/bobbins, 4 nuts, and 4 M3 screws. And of course spares. They come in different heights, but I would go with 15-20mm probably.

Also, get some Loctite or other thread locker. Use this on all the screws to prevent them from loosening overtime.
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:36 AM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Tom,

I was thinking of trying my 450 arms on the Flip FPV frame to see it that makes any difference in the vibrations. What size spacers are required for the 'old style' arms? I can scavange some from the 450 frame, but I think I'll need more than the old frame has. Will the stock Flip FPV frame spacers work or do I need a different size?
You will need at least 18 of the long (7/8") standoffs to sandwich the plates on the old style arms. These are the standard size in the HT-450 and HT-FPV.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:42 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,803 Posts
Quote:
I answered your mounting question...even posted pictures. The Multiwii boards come in different sizes...mostly same capabilities. The ones I normally use are smaller and there's slots in the Flip frame for the mountings screws and spacers (nylon...not metal). There's also wider spaced holes for larger controllers...I used these to mount my distro board...also with nylong screws and spacers.

As for motors. The kv is the RPM per volt. At 10v a 750kv motor will be spinning at 7500rpm (without prop), a 1050kv motor will be spinning at 10500rpm. The lower the kv the larger the prop or the higher the cell count you use. The 1050kv on 3S is good with 8"...or probably better 9" props. 1200kv on 3S is good for 8". I'm running my 750kv's on 4S with 10" props and it seems to run good. I'll probably get longer run times with my 4S, 750kv, and 10" props than you will with 1050kv, 3S, and 8" props...all in effeciency, blah, blah, blah.

Xhover's video with 1050kv and 8" props was neat. My 750kv and 10" props probably won't be as manueverable...but...my idea for FPV is slower and more scenic vs speedy and cool. All in what your end goal is. The larger props, lower kv setups can handle heavier loads better than higher kv and smaller prop setups.

Hopefully Witespy will be able to piece an entire setup for you. Tom and Paul are pretty closely tied together in the business. I'm sure they can work some magic for you...
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:06 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,711 Posts
Surely they can either send you everything you need, or even build it out for you for a headache-fee experience. Save you a lot of trouble.

Heck, if Paul has 40 orders waiting after the holidays, sounds like I am in the wrong business; maybe I should start building quads...???
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:13 AM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Surely they can either send you everything you need, or even build it out for you for a headache-fee experience. Save you a lot of trouble.

Heck, if Paul has 40 orders waiting after the holidays, sounds like I am in the wrong business; maybe I should start building quads...???
I'll be honest, don't do it hahaha. For your own sanity. Profit margin is sooo small when you consider the amount of time involved. We both basically work until 2-3am every night even weekends. I have not had a weekend free in uh I can't remember when.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:22 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,711 Posts
Thanks for the warning! I don't think I can handle it anyways. One thing I am very bad at is repetitive work, and I bet building quads is just that. That is why I love being an architect, although it has its downside (POOP economy, that is).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:26 AM
United States, CO
Joined Jan 2013
64 Posts
I am one of the people making Paul and Tom's lives a pain right now and just purchased this frame. Super excited cause this thing looks like a lot of fun. Can anyone throw me a quick dimension of the bottom plate and middle plate? Doesn't need to be CAD specs, just looking for estimate of width and length.
k2spy04 is offline Find More Posts by k2spy04
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juz70 View Post
my FLIP was fun and easy to build. Thanks Tom.

Cant wait to FPV it

Hoverthing FLIP FPV frame (357.2 grams)
CC3D
stock plush 30A escs
SK3 3530 1150kv motors (thanks Falco) (84.3 grams with prop adaptor)
graupner 10x5 e-props
3s 3000mah nanotech lipo
dragonlink rx
hobbyking 12v voltage regulator
1.3ghz 600mW vtx
homemade CL antenna (thanks shpoinks)
rmrc 480 FPV cam
gopro hero2
Very NICE!!
xhover is online now Find More Posts by xhover
RCG Plus Member