HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:39 AM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,339 Posts
Copter control and cc3d seem to work great on my stuff I've flown them on. The naza flies great and is deff the easiest to setup. I havnt had good luck really with my kk2 on one of my tris, but I also havnt updated the firmware on it either because i don't have the cable
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:13 AM
FPV Enthusiast
martinic's Avatar
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,846 Posts
There's a huge difference with the KK2 and the updated 1.5 firmware. Get the cable, update the firmware and enjoy. With the 1.4 or 1.5 firmware, the auto level is astoundingly good.

As for the CC3D, I haven't tried it on the Flip FPV, but have had good results on an x525 quad. On the OpenPilot forums, a couple of very experienced sport FPV pilots are sorting out configurations for extreme performance. It'll work out; the CC3D uses the same sensors and PID design that other controllers use. It's just time and effort.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinic View Post
There's a huge difference with the KK2 and the updated 1.5 firmware. Get the cable, update the firmware and enjoy. With the 1.4 or 1.5 firmware, the auto level is astoundingly good.

As for the CC3D, I haven't tried it on the Flip FPV, but have had good results on an x525 quad. On the OpenPilot forums, a couple of very experienced sport FPV pilots are sorting out configurations for extreme performance. It'll work out; the CC3D uses the same sensors and PID design that other controllers use. It's just time and effort.
Yeah I havnt really flown my cc3d FPV yet as I just got it tuned a cpl weeks ago on my new iconic x but it seems like I got it tuned really well. My kk2 flies great in regular mode but will not fly in auto level lol. Do you have a link to where I can get the cable to update it?
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:23 AM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Yeah I havnt really flown my cc3d FPV yet as I just got it tuned a cpl weeks ago on my new iconic x but it seems like I got it tuned really well. My kk2 flies great in regular mode but will not fly in auto level lol. Do you have a link to where I can get the cable to update it?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...occessors.html
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:29 AM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Thanks I'm buying it now
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:35 PM
FPV Enthusiast
martinic's Avatar
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,846 Posts
Just tried GWS 10" 3-bladed props with SunnySky x2212-980kv motors, 30A RC Timer ESCs (Simonk firmware) and a 3S 4000mah Turnigy lipo, 1550g AUW. The 3-bladed 10" props are perfect for this setup and the Flip FPV hovers nicely at ~50% throttle. It flies very nicely.

I get 9 minutes of relaxed sport flying with 20% left in the pack.

It'll be fine for now until I go 4S or get some 1200kv motors for 3S.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:57 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
I'm still keen on this flyer ... but have had my arm twisted to move house.. so am in thaty process. Once done, I'm BACK on the hunt! My current research is the flight controller. Nazi seems the way to go - but ... as a software developer, I'm wondering if something cheaper wouldn't be the worst option. Nazi seems the most stable (correct?), but the price with GPS is pretty high...
Naza is way simple to set up and works really well...if you don't mind spending the $400 for it. I have one and it's worked fine for me. I'm now looking into trying an Arducopter system. The board and GPS from RCTimer runs ~$120 and ~$150 if you get the board, GPS, and full duplex radio system. The board and GPS is supposed to provide all the stuff Naza does plus waypoint navigation...for <1/3rd the price. It isn't plug-n-play as much as the Naza is though. Here's a thread on it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1752761 and the 'full set' at RCTimer: http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...2&productname= . You can get the radio gear in 433MHz or 915MHz. The radio provides connection to the system via PC for inflight changes, waypoint adjustments, etc...if I understand it correctly. I just ordered the Board and GPS for now...maybe a radio system for later. This is just an option for you for what looks to be a pretty full featured system. Of course, a $20-$30 Mutliwii or KK board will work great too.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,083 Posts
Last night I quickly threw some FPV gear on my Flip so I could FPV it...haven't flown FPV for several months now. In all, no problems. I'm using 750kv motors on 4S with 9" 3-blade props. I like the 3-blades for quietness and smoother over the 2-blades. The problem is getting props that don't arrive with the blades bent/twisted/distorted some. I just got some grey 3-bladers in and one of the blades (on all of them) was curved way up. I tried warming it in hot water and reshape it back in track with the other blades. I got two pretty close and broke a blade on the third. When I flew with them today they just weren't doing the job...out of track and some vibration issues. I have some 10" 3-blades I can try to see if they're any better/worse. I may end up going back to 2-blades and give the APC's a try. I'd like to try the Graupners...but the $10 per prop price tag sucks.

Anyway...it was nice to do a little FPV again. My stock VTx antenna sucks. I think I'll either try to make or buy some CP antennas for my 1280 system. So many projects, not enough time...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Last night I quickly threw some FPV gear on my Flip so I could FPV it...haven't flown FPV for several months now. In all, no problems. I'm using 750kv motors on 4S with 9" 3-blade props. I like the 3-blades for quietness and smoother over the 2-blades. The problem is getting props that don't arrive with the blades bent/twisted/distorted some. I just got some grey 3-bladers in and one of the blades (on all of them) was curved way up. I tried warming it in hot water and reshape it back in track with the other blades. I got two pretty close and broke a blade on the third. When I flew with them today they just weren't doing the job...out of track and some vibration issues. I have some 10" 3-blades I can try to see if they're any better/worse. I may end up going back to 2-blades and give the APC's a try. I'd like to try the Graupners...but the $10 per prop price tag sucks.

Anyway...it was nice to do a little FPV again. My stock VTx antenna sucks. I think I'll either try to make or buy some CP antennas for my 1280 system. So many projects, not enough time...
Apc is nice but if you fly crazy aggressive like me they will flex resulting in a lil jello. I really like the graupners they are solid
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:15 PM
I love FPV!
Cralis's Avatar
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I'm now looking into trying an Arducopter system. The board and GPS from RCTimer runs ~$120 and ~$150 if you get the board, GPS, and full duplex radio system.
My weakest point (Besides matching motors, ESCs and props for efficient flight) is soldering boards. Putting pins on would kill me, and the board. Do they do a pre-soldered version?

Also, what's the radio for? Just from board, to ground?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
My weakest point (Besides matching motors, ESCs and props for efficient flight) is soldering boards. Putting pins on would kill me, and the board. Do they do a pre-soldered version?

Also, what's the radio for? Just from board, to ground?
I don't think they offer a pre-soldered header version for the RCTimer APM2.5 board. The radio...yeah, it's 2-way communication between your GS PC and the board. I'm going to have to make some guesses here, but it could be used for UAV flying where you're sitting in front of your laptop, your quad is up flying around, and you select points of interest from the mission planner program for it to fly to. Kinda like what the waypoint on the DOSD, 'cept you can do it in flight and the thing sends back telemetry data (like an OSD would). Is the radio necesary? Nope. A fun toy? Possibly. I did a price break out. If I ordered the radio separate from the board and GPS I'd spend a whole $6 more than if I bought the whole 'package'. I don't have any specific plans for 'waypoint/telemetry on the fly' so just got the board and GPS. Anyone else there that can solder for you? ChancesAU???

In all reality here, the easiest (and most expensive) controller for you would be the Naza with GPS for hold and RTH capability. The APM 2.5 sounds like a Naza similar controller +, but will need some tinkering around with. Multiwii boards are good, but you still have to tinker with the firmware and adjustments. The KK2 will need some adjustment tinkering, but can be done on the controller without need of a PC. I understand the KK2 with v1.5 fw is pretty good...no personal experience on it though...and it is pretty inexpensive. To start with, I'd probably recommend more on the durable, less expensive side to verify this is what you want to do. You can always add a better, more capable, more expensive, controller later.

For matching motors, props, etc...just get some 28mm OD 1050-1200kv motors, Simonk flashed 18A+ ESCs, 3S LiPo, and 8" CW and CCW props and you'll be good to go. Buy plenty of extra props...you'll need them. Colored props are helpful for orientation too. I usually use orange up front and black in the back.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
Registered User
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
664 Posts
Just maiden my HT Flip FPV, first flight went well with default settings on MWC 2.1

Quadrino Zoom Board, Rev1d
Tiger MT2216-11 900kv
GF 10x4.5 props
3s 2600
HK Blue series 30amp, Simonk flashed

Flew it first with 9" props, needed too much throttle to hover, so switched to 10"

Want to move up to 4s for the first time on multirotor, what do I need to do?

Have Turnigy LEDs, ok on 4s?
Will use FPV equipment, Immersion 600mW transmitter, ok for 4s?
12v FPC cam, 4s too much?

Basically what additional steps/equipment needed for 4s?
cquian is offline Find More Posts by cquian
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
Videopilot
Derek_S's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,706 Posts
Check the specs on all your gear. It will tell you the safe operating voltages. But I can tell you that those LEDS will run on 4s, but they are much brighter and the life of the LEDs might be compromised (but they will still likely last longer than your copter, and are cheap to replace anyways).

The best bet is to get these Use a multimeter to adjust them to the voltage you want output (12v in most cases) and there you go. A good clean 12v regulator feed for your gear. I even use these as BECs as they are cheaper so thus my ZII has two of these, one at 5v one at 12v and teh plane is on 4s.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:25 PM
FPV Enthusiast
martinic's Avatar
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquian View Post
Will use FPV equipment, Immersion 600mW transmitter, ok for 4s?
12v FPC cam, 4s too much?
The Immersion RC 600mW vTx is good to 25v and it has a 12v regulated output that will power your camera.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquian View Post
...Want to move up to 4s for the first time on multirotor, what do I need to do?
Most likely the BEC in your ESCs are only rated up to 3S UNLESS it's a switch mode BEC setup. DO NOT run these on 4S with the BEC enabled (red wires on the servo cables attached). You will end up overheating a BEC and crashing sooner or later.

Quote:
Have Turnigy LEDs, ok on 4s?
Probably not for long. Those are designed for 12v input.
Quote:
Will use FPV equipment, Immersion 600mW transmitter, ok for 4s?
12v FPC cam, 4s too much?
Yes. You will burn out your system. Don't do it unless you put on a 12v regulator.

Quote:
Basically what additional steps/equipment needed for 4s?
1. Disconnect ESC BEC capability
2. Install external switch mode 5v regulator to power your Rx/Controller
3. Get a 12v switch mode regulator to run your LEDs and FPV equipment on
4. Drop back down to 8" or 9" props.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Show Us Your Hoverthings FPV Frame scrape Multirotor Talk 2149 Yesterday 05:06 PM
Discussion Hoverthings quad flipping and crashing randomly? easymoney99 Multirotor Talk 9 Jun 12, 2012 02:17 AM
Sold Hoverthings HT-FPV black Lucasberg Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 3 May 04, 2012 08:10 AM
Sold Hoverthings FPV Quad Plug-n-play W/ Naza Blucross Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 1 May 01, 2012 06:26 AM
Discussion Test flight of Hoverthings.com FPV 'Ralphie' frame daign FPV Talk 1 Jan 16, 2012 01:27 PM