HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
26 Posts
Yeah, 1.3 w/ low pass for FPV. I use 2.4 for control and 5.8 from groundstation to goggles.

I did ~6 minute flights today on 3 batteries and all came back at ~11.5V. Haven't weighed her yet.

Here's a link to a quick video I put together today. Just some LOS stuff in my driveway. A little bummed with the amount of jello compared to the HT-FPV. (motors and props are balanced) Also, the tuning isn't right. I suspect part of the issue is that the arms do flex a little and it fights with the NAZA and causes some of the wobble that you see around 0:20 during hard acceleration. Not sure that gain adjustments will fix that completely.

Pissing off the Neighbors.mp4 (3 min 23 sec)
JPV FPV is offline Find More Posts by JPV FPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
513 Posts
Look'n good, The jello was probably your hands freezing to the sticks, That's a lot of snow. I noticed that to much cushion on the camera can cause worse jello than not enough, I had that issue with my bumblebee. Keep up the good work, Next time we want to see the quad outside and you inside where it's warm!.
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,223 Posts
Yeah...WAY to much snow for my liking anymore. On my HT-FPV frame I tried using moongel and foam and... All I ended up with is more jello than when I solid mounted my GoPro (home made wood case) with 3M double sided tape to the HT-FPV. The similar setup on my Flip FPV did result in some jello so I've got some more playing to do. It is lighter than my HT-FPV frame was though...which hopefully will equal longer flight times.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
This is my Flip FPV

Hi everybody

This is my videos and pictures of my Flip-FPV build and first flight , i'm looking forward to do more flights with it using my new light weight 4500mah 3s NANO-TECH A-SPEC batteries but this winter weather in NY is getting brutal . the only flight that i manage to do so far i flew my quad for 9 minutes with the 3300mah 3s lipo , i hope i can get close to 12 to 15 minutes with the A-SPEC lipo , my all up weight is 1343g ( 2.96lb ) using the 3300 3s lipo .

Hoverthings Flip-FPV Time Lapse Build part #2 (12 min 15 sec)

Hoverthings Flip-FPV Maiden FPV Flight part #3 (11 min 38 sec)

Hoverthings Flip-FPV Specs

Frame: Hoverthings Flip-FPV
Flight Controller: DJI NAZA
Power Distribution: GLB type
Batteries: NANO-TECH 3s 3300mah
ESC: iFlight iPeaka 30A ESC with SimonK Firmware
Motors: KEDA 2210 1200kv
Props: APC 9 x 4.7 tractors & pushers
Tx: HITEC Aurora 9 with voltage telemetry
Rx: HITEC Optima 7
Lights: N/A
Camera: GOPRO HERO 2 with LayerLens Zephyr version
Video Tx: Foxtech 5.8ghz 400mw w Cloverleaf antenna
Video Rx: Boscam " Foxtech AIO " 5.8ghz video goggles w Cloverleaf antenna
OSD: HobbyKing E-OSD
Gimbal: N/A
Landing Gear: FLIP FPV Landing Gear ( BLACK )
AUW: 1343g ( 2.96lb )
Flying Time: 9 minutes

NAZA Gain Settings

........................PITCH ROLL YAW VERTICAL
Basic Gains.......110% 100% 120% 110%
Attitude Gains....100% 90%
TheFlyingRookie is offline Find More Posts by TheFlyingRookie
Last edited by TheFlyingRookie; Dec 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingRookie View Post
Hi everybody

This is my videos and pictures of my Flip-FPV build and first flight , i'm looking forward to do more flights with it using my new light weight 4500mah 3s NANO-TECH A-SPEC batteries but this winter weather in NY is getting brutal . the only flight that i manage to do so far i flew my quad for 9 minutes with the 3300mah 3s lipo , i hope i can get close to 12 to 15 minutes with the A-SPEC lipo , my all up weight is 1343g ( 2.96lb ) using the 3300 3s lipo .
Sweet build man, flight times are looking good. Thanks for posting all the specs, very helpful.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:42 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingRookie View Post
Hi everybody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEDnq...Wc6Oxg&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6HnN...Wc6Oxg&index=1

Hoverthings Flip-FPV Specs

Frame: Hoverthings Flip-FPV
Flight Controller: DJI NAZA
Power Distribution: GLB type
Batteries: NANO-TECH 3s 3300mah
ESC: iFlight iPeaka 30A ESC with SimonK Firmware
Motors: KEDA 2210 1200kv
Props: APC 9 x 4.7 tractors & pushers
Tx: HITEC Aurora 9 with voltage telemetry
Rx: HITEC Optima 7
Lights: N/A
Camera: GOPRO HERO 2 with LayerLens Zephyr version
Video Tx: Foxtech 5.8ghz 400mw w Cloverleaf antenna
Video Rx: Boscam " Foxtech AIO " 5.8ghz video goggles w Cloverleaf antenna
OSD: HobbyKing E-OSD
Gimbal: N/A
Landing Gear: FLIP FPV Landing Gear ( BLACK )
AUW: 1343g ( 2.96lb )
Flying Time: 9 minutes

NAZA Gain Settings

........................PITCH ROLL YAW VERTICAL
Basic Gains.......110% 100% 120% 110%
Attitude Gains....100% 90%
With the 1200kv motor you may boost your flight times by dropping to 8" props. It seems most 1200kv guys are using 8" with great success.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
With the 1200kv motor you may boost your flight times by dropping to 8" props. It seems most 1200kv guys are using 8" with great success.
I do have a set of APC 8 x 3.8 props laying around so i might give them a try , i did a LOS test flight of my Flip-FPV frame with the new light weight NANO-TECH A-SPEC 3s 4500mah lipo battery , they weight under 300g " 15g more than my NANO-TECH 3s 3300mah " , i did 13+ minutes of flying time with the A-SPEC that in my opinion that's more that what most people expect to accomplish to do from a multirotor on FPV , this test even if it was on LOS i did it with all the FPV hardware onboard in operating conditions draining the power from the same battery that powers the quad since i don't used a separated battery for the to power the FPV hardware . .
TheFlyingRookie is offline Find More Posts by TheFlyingRookie
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:40 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
That is a good flight time in my book. I just switched out my motors to 750kv (from 1100) tonight with 10x4 (from 8x4.5) props, so I was gonna see how that affected my flight time tomorrow, hopefully. I'm nt good at guessing these things, so it may work out just the opposite, but my impression is that a bigger prop spinning slower will use less mah for the same thrust... err maybe that is an oversimplified interpretation, too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:00 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
That is a good flight time in my book. I just switched out my motors to 750kv (from 1100) tonight with 10x4 (from 8x4.5) props, so I was gonna see how that affected my flight time tomorrow, hopefully. I'm nt good at guessing these things, so it may work out just the opposite, but my impression is that a bigger prop spinning slower will use less mah for the same thrust... err maybe that is an oversimplified interpretation, too.
Just depends I thought the same thing but my 6lb y6 with 11inch props on NTM 35-30 1100kv motors killed my 3s 4500mah pack in about a minute and a half. Then I put 10 inch props on and went to a 4s 5000mah pack and got about 7 minutes of actually flying around. In my opinion I like 4s better but it's not always needed. My old fpvmanuals tricopter with all up FPV weight flew for for 7-8.5 minutes on a 3s 3300mah pack. where my more heavy more powerfull FPVDM v1.5 tricopter flys on 4s 3300 mah pack for 7-8.5 minutes also. The difference is the amount of power 4s brings compared to 3s. Honestly I could put a bigger battery on my FPVDM tri and get even longer flights but honestly 8 minutes is plenty for 1 flight to me.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:10 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
yeah, gonna see what happens on 3s here. These motors can handle 4s< but my smallest 4s batt is a 4000 and I would have to re-wire the fpv gear slightly for 4s, but may give that a try tomorrow as well just to see.

Best I guess to keep a notepad and see how many minutes per Amp-hour I can get, to be able to compare the flights on a even basis.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
You might get similar flight times even if you swap to 4s but you will have way more power for punch outs and stuff. Where 3s always feels so sluggish to me. I just like how 3s let's me power everything with 1 battery and no voltage regulator or extra battery.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:17 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I'm still keen on this flyer ... but have had my arm twisted to move house.. so am in thaty process. Once done, I'm BACK on the hunt! My current research is the flight controller. Nazi seems the way to go - but ... as a software developer, I'm wondering if something cheaper wouldn't be the worst option. Nazi seems the most stable (correct?), but the price with GPS is pretty high...
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:01 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,876 Posts
Not "Nazi", but "Naza". Best to avoid the former.

I've never used the Naza, but it seems to be the easiest to get flying stable and with least effort up front.

As for the rest, I have used several.

One of the best and easiest to use is also the least expensive. The KK2 from Hobbyking. At <$30, this gyro and accelerator controller with built in LCD screen and simple interface is a wonderful option.

Beyond that, you get into increasing levels of complexity. The more sensors, the greater the complexity of configuration.

(without exception?) They all require that you adjust P-I-D (some hide D term) values for each sensor. This can get complicated, especially with more sensors.

Start with gyro and accelerometers only, such as the KK2. Even if you get a controller with more sensors, use only the gyros and then accelerometer to start.

As a software developer, you may appreciate some of the boards with open source firmware (Multiwii, Arducopter, Openpilot, etc.).

I am personally using a Multiwii-based board (Naze32 with baseflight port of Multiwii) with my Flip FPV. I had intended to install an Openpilot CC3D, but decided to hold off based on initial flight reports from more advanced pilots than me. I may revisit that decision when workable configurations for that controller with this frame are found.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:32 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,036 Posts
One thing to keep in mind that some have issues with with NAZA is that currently the software is Windows only so if that is a problem for you then you may need to use a different board.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:38 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,036 Posts
Started to put together some notes and pictures on my new FLIP FPV build here:
http://www.flitelab.com/Reviews/FLIP...eOverview.aspx

flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor