'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Just built my Flip FPV about a week ago. My opinion:
-ArduFlyer 2.5 (ArduPilot clone) w/ neo6 GPS
I have one on order to give a try. I might tap you for some info/settings later on.
Quote:
I hate the friction/torque prop adapters. Definatly go with ones that are bolt on like most quad motors have nowdays, such as the sunnysky's or similar. I will be changing mine out soon.
The nice thing about collet prop adapters is you can easily replace them if they get bent/damaged. The bolt on type prop adapters are all proprietary and often not sold separately...so you damage one you buy a replacement motor. I do like the bolt on adapters too...just always worried of damaging one with no easy replacement available.

Quote:
...it is my suggestion to use a GP1 if you have one or are looking to buy one
That's all I have to. One stock lens GP1 and one Sunex lens GP1. I prefer the Sunex for the multis for the lack of barrel distortion...though it is a narrower FOV for flying with.

As for you posting your setup...that's great information...even to those of us who've been flying for a while. I like seeing what peope are using and how it's working for them. Now how about some flight videos????
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
I just finished her up about a week ago, so not a lot to show yet, but here is a video from this weekend. More are on my channel, and more still to come. Just wish it wasn't dark when I get off of work...

I am letting YT stabilize this one (filmed at 720/60 on GP1) just to see how it looks, but if it will let me I am gonna re-upload the raw video, too.

Hoverthings Flip FPV in the Chattanooga, TN Area (4 min 14 sec)
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
The nice thing about collet prop adapters is you can easily replace them if they get bent/damaged. The bolt on type prop adapters are all proprietary and often not sold separately...so you damage one you buy a replacement motor. I do like the bolt on adapters too...just always worried of damaging one with no easy replacement available.
On that note, the good thing is that RCTimer does sell the replacement adapters for the 2830 series motors. I have several of these but mine are 750KV and I havent decided it that will work on the flip for me, as I can only fit a 10" prop and I dunno how performance will be on 3s at that prop size. I have run those motors on 4s with a 10" prop and they are great in that setup. Alternately, not sure if I wanna buy any more 4s batteries at this time and I don't have any small enough for the Flip if I wanted to go 4s.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:13 PM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,884 Posts
First Flight

My first flight with the Flip FPV, not FPV. Just some initial PID settings, but seemed to handle nicely on a calm winter day.

The video reveals plenty of vibrations making it to the GoPro. I am running SunnySky X2212 980kv motors with balanced (hubs too) 10x4.7 props on 3S, AUW of ~1550g (including 4000mAh battery). Hover is at about 60% throttle, but I'm quite happy with the way it's flying (Naze32, baseflight r238).

I have a lot of work to do to get smooth video from this setup.

HoverThings Flip FPV - Rough First Flight (2 min 5 sec)
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Last edited by martinic; Dec 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:08 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Okay, I didn't really break the Flip FPV frame, but I did break one of the snap-on landing legs.
Vantasstic, I was thinking that the clips could be cut off the stock legs and then the legs could be zip tied to the arms or the bottom plate. Since you busted one, would you be willing and to try it and see if it works?
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:24 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
You can also just scoot the landing gear right adjacent to the main body to keep the forces at that arm/body connection.

So far my gear has held up ok, other than one fell off in the field somewhere.

So, if anyone wants to send me a spare, ......
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:51 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
Quote:
On that note, the good thing is that RCTimer does sell the replacement adapters for the 2830 series motors.
Thanks for the info, Not the ones I needed but they do have ones that look like they will work on the sunny sky motors I have. http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname= I wouldn't have thought that they would have had these and wouldn't have thought to look if you didn't post the link.

GG
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:18 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
Yes, I am a RCT fan, they are adding stuff all the time and are very cheap. Also shipping is "free" and almost everything is kept in stock, so no waiting for them to ship.

Products I have bought are about average quality, but that is fine for me in most cases.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinic View Post
Vantasstic, I was thinking that the clips could be cut off the stock legs and then the legs could be zip tied to the arms or the bottom plate. Since you busted one, would you be willing and to try it and see if it works?
Well there really not much to ziptie to. The cross brace on the leg is towards the bottom of the leg. After watching my video back I think where mine broke was not on the initial 'bounce' but on the second bounce where it landed on the leg that broke...i.e. all the weight and momentum was concentrated on that one leg for a fraction of a second which resulted in the clip breaking. I've since removed my other legs, installed longer spacers between the frame plates and have heli skids on order. I put my arms on the upper plate, vs the bottom, so the wider spaced bottom plate now acts as a large landing surface.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
Anyone thought about just putting 2 pool noodle sections along the bottom?

I was looking, and they give the gopro plenty of clearance. My only concern is them being wind sails, but I usually dont fly in strong wind if I can help it anyways. It all came about because I was really afraid to fly over water, since the whole thing would likely sink as is. At least with noodles I can recover the frame.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:42 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
Well, I found the solution to my 3530's that I mis-ordered, Common Sense RC is having an end of year sale and I got four of their 3530 1000kv motors for 60% off, Still more than the NTM's but HK is so slammed that I don't think I would get them in time. I didn't even think that CSRC was still around and if they were, I didn't think they still had motors. At their list price they were just ridiculous, It took them being 60% off just to think about buying them!. The specs say 19a max and on 3s with 10x5 prop they draw like 16a so I think they will do fine on 4s and 9x4.7.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
Quote:
Anyone thought about just putting 2 pool noodle sections along the bottom?

I was looking, and they give the gopro plenty of clearance. My only concern is them being wind sails, but I usually dont fly in strong wind if I can help it anyways. It all came about because I was really afraid to fly over water, since the whole thing would likely sink as is. At least with noodles I can recover the frame.
I thought about some .30 size heli-max floats.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Dec 2012
26 Posts
Got my Flip all squared away. Gutted my HT-FPV as I told myself I only need one quad. Still working on getting her tuned. One thing I love about the design of the Flip is the arm mounting with bolts. The friction fit of the HT-FPV arms would tend to loosen, requiring shimming with tape.

Just got 18" of snow last night so I might throw the landing gear on and take her for a spin.
JPV FPV is offline Find More Posts by JPV FPV
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:28 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
Looks great!, 18" of snow, Brrrrrrrrr, We got 6" in Mich. Is that a 1.2g setup?, I just got a 4ch. diversity Rx for my 5.8g that I haven't tried out yet. Can't wait to see some Videos.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:57 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
Yeah, looking good Jet, what flight times you looking at?

I get about 8 minutes tops on my setup...would really like to see more if I was sure how to get there.
RCG Plus Member