Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:42 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Build Log
P 40 Warhawk

I bought this kit about a week and a half ago. I've cut out a lot of the balsa wood from the fuselage formers and reduced the stringers. For the wing I eliminated every other rib except for the center section. I cut out some of the rib wood and added a support. I still need to finish shaping the wing LE in the center. This is for the Guillow's 2013 "G" Challenge where this year the kits are from the 400 series. The rules are you must use the Guillow's kit wood and the plastic parts.

Kev

sorry some of the pictures are blurry
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:13 PM
Pan Pan Pan
Arizona
Joined Feb 2003
393 Posts
Looks great so far.

Can you tell me more about the Guillow's 2013 "G" Challenge? Haven't heard of it and a web search only found this thread.

Thanks!
Harri3 is online now Find More Posts by Harri3
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Try looking at "Yahoo Groups - Guillow's "G" Challenge" I've maybe jumped the gun, the contest for 2013 might be with another series kit as it hasn't been written in stone yet. That's okay, this is my second 400 series Warhawk build. I'm looking forward to making a better model than the first one is, which I have given away.

Kev
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:29 AM
yes, its a flying lamb :)
Bitola, Republic of Macedonia
Joined Apr 2009
532 Posts
Very nice bones Kev!
draganbt is offline Find More Posts by draganbt
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Thanks, guys. There is a lot of plastic involved in this kit. I'm going to drill holes in the plastic parts to cut down on the weight and cover them with tissue, if the glue will stick to the plastic. I'll have to test first on scrap plastic. The difference between this build and the first one is for this one I'm going to use the entire plastic canopy instead of cutting the back of it off right behind the pilot's seat. The kit plastic canopy covers the dummy bulkheads as well. I found a good picture of a color scheme - orange upper with olive camouflage. Deep sky blue underneath. Will also use a 9 1/2" P30 prop with a Gizmo Geezer thrust button. I cut a big square hole in the front of the plastic cowl and made a thin nose block to hold the thrust button which inserts into the cowl. Maybe it shows that I made the fuselage side keels from 1/16" x 1/16" stringers instead of the kit keel. The rules allow for this as long as whatever is done, is done with the kit wood. I added dihedral to the wing for stability, which is also allowed. I made the cowl with an insert just around the inside perimeter which will glue flat to the first fuselage former at the nose. My work light broke and it will be awhile before I can buy a new one, but I'm buying the best this time.

Kev
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:48 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
488 Posts
A sticky glue for tissue

Kevin

Have you ever tried Aleene's Fun Craft Foam Glue to stick on tissue? It might work on the plastic parts you're covering. I was introduced to it by Chuck Markos at a Bong Eagles event. He used it to stick light weight poly bag film to balsa. The glue is a water thinnable latex contact cement. I use it to replace glue sticks for attaching tissue. You might need to let it dry on the plastic a bit before adding the tissue. On drying, it forms a rubbery film. I get mine at Michael's Craft stores. The picture shows an example project using it.

You've made a great looking job of lightening that Guillows structure. What's it weighing so far?
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:16 AM
Pan Pan Pan
Arizona
Joined Feb 2003
393 Posts
Kevin,

Thanks for the info...my membership in the Guillow's Challenge Yahoo Groups is now pending!

I hope the challenge for 2013 will be from the 400 series. I was unable to determine when the series for the challenge was going to be finalized.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Joe, I don't have a scale, but will push on and try to lighten the Warhawk up as much as I can as I go.

Harri, The 2013 "G" Challenge choice is a one design. Everyone will build the Guillow's 700 ZIVCO EDGE. It's a new offering from Guillow's and as far as I know it's available now. I've been trying to compete in the Challenge for three years but something has always come up and I have been unable to finish my planes in time. The 400 series was considered for 2013.

Kev
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:38 PM
Pan Pan Pan
Arizona
Joined Feb 2003
393 Posts
Kev,

The only Edge I found on Guillow's website is a 700 series Edge 540. Is this the Zivco Edge? Or is it not on their website yet? Found here: http://www.guillow.com/edge540.aspx

Thanks for the help!

Kim
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Kim, I'm sorry, I don't know yet, just passing on the information as I get it.

Kev
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:18 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Kim, yeah, that's the one.

Kev
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Now that I won't be building the Warhawk for the "G" Challenge, and not required to use all the plastic parts, I can replace them with other innovations. Light is right, lighter is righter.

Kev
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:57 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Back in the day...when this series was first introduced, several of us dorm mates at Purdue built these kits. I recall doing the Messerschmidt and Spitfire, and a dorm mate built the P40. He did a great job (even with the plastic) and out-flew us all!

PeeJay
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
I'll still be using some of the plastic, like the nose cowl, but Guillow's has offered a good kit with the 400 series, although the 1/16" stringers are a little heavy. One of the laser cut parts sheets was on the heavy side, too. I got my tissue order yesterday from Easy Built Models for this plane. I still need to place an order for more dope and thinner...I have a 400 series Mustang and a 900 series Mustang ready for it.

Kev
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, IN, Elberfeld
Joined Feb 2011
120 Posts
Ive got some aluminum tape I've been wanting to try for covering. I also have a spare um brick with a 2s esc hooked to an hk 1811 just itching for a silver p-40. But, the edge looks interesting.
kzart is offline Find More Posts by kzart