HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:48 PM
Rudedog Racing
United States, NY, Frewsburg
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Help!
Li-Po Charging Confusion

So I bought a Triton2 and balancer off eBay, and went to charge a Li-PO for the first time today. I read through most of the manual and crap, but the manual for the Triton2 statses that there is a balancing plug on the side of the charger, when mine came with an electrifly equinox balancer. Basiclly my question is, when I'm hooking up the battery to charge, there is a white plug for balancing I assume, but there is also one other plug. Is this meant to go to the main battery leads?

This Guy had a very similar set up:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886293

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1214688497

That guy's adapter does not appear to have the second plug I am referring to though.

Thanks, Brodie
rudedog9d is offline Find More Posts by rudedog9d
Last edited by rudedog9d; Dec 12, 2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Details Man, Details!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:06 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Instead of going thru the options of configuring the balancer can I ask what exact equipment you have? It sounds like you have a Triton 2 with a Triton 2 EQ manual and a equinox balancer.

The equinox has banana plugs on the input and can be plugged into the chargers output OR left loose. The charger's main output plugs into the input of equinox OR into the main lead on battery.

There also options on the output side of the equinox. The directions for the equinox may be key to getting this. It has two main configs.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
Rudedog Racing
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
You are correct, I have a triton2 with a equinox balancer. I have found the correct manuals, but I am still confused. Is there two kinds of batteries? I bought a 2s and a 3s lipo, and each fits a different kind if plug. The 2s fits a plug that has all the wires go to the white plug on the battery, where as the 3s goes to a plug that two wires (A black and the lone red) that come off of the white plug. I have both styles of adapters for both the 2s and 3s batteries. Any ideas?

Thanks! Brodie
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
419 Posts
Do you have any photo's of what you have.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:47 PM
Rudedog Racing
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Ya..

I've been on my phone all day so I couldn't post any. I was going to take some pics of the stuff but forgot, so here is some yahoo images versions:

This is what is used by the 3s Battery:

And the 2s Battery:

-BD
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:05 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Your 3s pic is of the high power adapters, the 2s is the std adapters. I'm not sure that helps you or answers a question though.

Without seeing a pic of the batts I'd guess that your 3s pack has a balance lead and a main lead. Your 2s pack though should also have a main lead, right?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:18 PM
Rudedog Racing
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Uhh... A Little?

A Little bit I guess. So since my 3s battery only fits a high power charger, is it considered a high power battery?
And back to the original question, how do I charge it?! Do those other two leads go to the main leads of the battery?

Never thought charging a battery would be so damn confusing!!
-BD
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:33 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
419 Posts
I remember this now, someone had the same problem your having. If i can find it i'll link it.
But yea the one with the deans plugs allows you to charge at higher amps.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:03 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Let's back up and start from scratch with the 3s pack. From left to right:

Triton2 , equinox balancer,high power 3s lead,battery with Dean's and balance plug plugged into high power lead.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
Rudedog Racing
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Like This?

So I would it hook it up like this, correct?

Looking at this picture I see how they could go together. The Battery I have I bought came with a lot of other stuff so it different ends in it. Not seeing the same plug,it never clicked in my head

Thanks!!
-Brodie
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I can't make out the adapter , but if it's XH (like your battery) then Yes. If it plugs in and matches up then it's correct. This configuration allows 6 amps max to be put thru the equinox.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:52 PM
Rudedog Racing
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Thanks!

The Adapter is the same as the one in the above pic (That one had better definition) But I'm Pretty sure it's all correct. Thanks for all your help!!!

So using this method would charge all cells then balance with the white plug, correct? Just tryin to understand why they did it that way

Thanks again for your help!!! -Brodie
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:17 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
419 Posts
They used that way because with the main leads connected up you can charge at higher amps.
Without the main lead connection and just using the balance taps you'll be charging at much lower amps.