HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:05 AM
Bensalem, PA.
Joined Sep 2001
471 Posts
The Joy of Flying an Electric Heli!

The weather here in the Northeast has been wet, cold and windy. But, late yesterday afternoon just before dark the winds died down and the 30 degree temps didn't feel too bad. I looked out and saw my neighbor's driveway was clear as was mine.

I topped off the charge in my Corona and went out front to get in a very pleasant flight before it got dark.

If you need an "R/C Fix" on a frequent basis you can't beat an electric powered helicopter. It opens up many extra flying opportunites not possible with fixed wing planes.

I went electric a few years ago to be able to fly in my neighborhood at the local school and/or park, but then getting into helicopters opened up my street as a flying area!

Great fun . . . Gil
Gil Weiss is offline Find More Posts by Gil Weiss
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:11 AM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
I've always wondered if an electric heli could be used to clear a light dusting of snow off the driveway.

Rob
rscamp is offline Find More Posts by rscamp
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:16 AM
Bensalem, PA.
Joined Sep 2001
471 Posts
My Corona actually did a good job blowing the dead leaves off my driveway and sidewalk back in early november My neighbor wanted to borrow it. Dry wet snow should be easy to blow away. I was amazed at how much rotor wash my Corona puts out.

Gil
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:00 PM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
I 'sweep' the lawn with my Eolo regularly. Even the most stubborn leaves wont stay put when you goose full collective at 1ft up
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
Old Dec 15, 2003, 01:45 AM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
try a 60 inside a gym , the janitor likes it when I do that , he dont have to sweep it .
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Dec 15, 2003, 07:05 AM
Bensalem, PA.
Joined Sep 2001
471 Posts
While "sweeping" my driveway and sidewalk I also have noticed that the squirrels are totally intimidated by my Corona. They look up and run . . .Gil
Old Dec 15, 2003, 08:54 PM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
We don't have squirrels - just wild turkeys. I should chase one and get a free Christmas dinner...

-Tim
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
Old Dec 16, 2003, 01:02 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,006 Posts
I just got done flying

my Eolo under the metal halide light (its 11:00 at night) in the parking lot at my apartment. I love being able to fly any time I want without a mess. I just traded my Sceadu 50 nitro machine for the Eolo. now I'm all electric and my hornet has a big E-brother!!!
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Dec 16, 2003, 01:08 AM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
For me, I switched from fixed wing Park Flyers to helis this summer and find it's terribly easy now for me to get flying in. I'm a teacher and we have a small park right next door to our playground; before, even with a Slow Stick it was pretty hard to have fun while trying to keep it within the park, but now with my Corona, a few flights at lunch is a snap. I can fly every clear day! Great stuff!
Joe
albireo is offline Find More Posts by albireo
Old Dec 16, 2003, 07:00 AM
Bensalem, PA.
Joined Sep 2001
471 Posts
Tim - I like yout wild turkey plan for Xmas dinner!

Joe - I didn't mention it earlier, but I have been flying my Corona and my Piccolos at work to. We have a big shop and, when conditions permit (open space) I can fly indoors at lunch time.
E helis do open up many flying opps

Gil
Old Dec 19, 2003, 01:24 PM
Tigard, Oregon USA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
Joe,

I went to Hiram Johnson High school, graduated there in '92.

How sactown these days? I'm trying to get rid of my nexus so i can get an electric heli.

Sok
sokmeister is offline Find More Posts by sokmeister
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:40 AM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
Tim - Flying at work has been a real blast for me... It gets me away from the hectic work pace which REALLY helps. When it rains I wish I had something smaller, but those Hummingbirds were SOOOO squirrelly...

Sok, Sac is growing so fast I can't keep up anymore. Different place than in 92 - BIG TIME! I've been to your part of the world many, many times; I used to spend summers in Eugene and Selma, my best friend is over the river in Vancouver, Wa., and worked at Oregon Caves as a guide in 1978. Loved the whole state!
Joe
albireo is offline Find More Posts by albireo