HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:54 PM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,160 Posts
F3K the weekend before

Just a heads up for any of you guys that like to fly the little planes. I have set the date for The Bruce 2013 the weekend before on September 13-15. My place is only 3 hours away from the AMA site.

I have not updated my website to reflect the 2013 contest but all the info from the 4 previous events is there. I know I will make it to one but hope to fly in both!

www.thebruceF3K.com

Bruce Davidson
got2soar is online now Find More Posts by got2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:04 PM
JW
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,571 Posts
Bruce, Goodonya Mate!

Now, I have to figure out how to explain to Jan that I am going to be away from home for two weeks instead of one week...
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:03 AM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,160 Posts
I was thinking about you Joe and all the other guys that may have to cross the pond. The days in between will be a great time to visit The National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Bruce
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:58 PM
JW
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2soar View Post
I was thinking about you Joe and all the other guys that may have to cross the pond. The days in between will be a great time to visit The National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Bruce
Bruce,

This is an excellent idea. I actually visited the air museum in Dayton last year on the day after the Masters. I highly recommend this. I'll be making another visit this year, as I didn't get to see everything that I wanted to see on the day that I was there. A hint about the amount of stuff there, if you spend any time reading the various histories on the displays, you will never make it through the museum in a single day!
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:17 AM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,550 Posts
WSM Contest Entry window opens to tomorrow - May 1st

Headsup guys.
The World Soaring Masters 2013 contest entry window opens tomorrow May 1st.
Entry Form is available here.
http://worldsoaringmasters.com/wp-co...Entry-Form.pdf
Print the form and mail it in with your check.
It's gonna be a fabulous contest again this year.
You wont wanna miss it.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2013, 02:03 PM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,160 Posts
Anyone thinking about attending both of the biggest soaring events in the USA, registration for The Bruce opens this Saturday the 25th.

www.thebrucef3k.com

Hope to fly with ya in my backyard!

Bruce
Old May 21, 2013, 02:35 PM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
333 Posts
8 days at the Nats is just the 'hors-d'oeuvres'

..main course is The Bruce and the WSM...

:-}

Ray
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
Old May 24, 2013, 09:55 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.j.glaab View Post
Just a quick note here, but the staggered launches at the NATS Unlim are NOT man on man in the same way "J" is. Perhaps if the NATS groups were smaller (say 4 at a time) we could perhaps get everyone up within 30 seconds or less. 2+ minutes, which is typical of many NATS groups, is not man-on-man. True, there are drawbacks in "J", but that is man-on-man.
I could not agree more - I happened to pick a really windy year to attend my first Nats (last year) and I saw a lot of launches that were really staggered. If the wind is blowing 20 mph (and it was) and you have to wait 2 mins (I actually did while a line broke and a winch smoked) - your ride could very well have come and gone and watching the first guy to launch find it, knowing you can't get to it anymore - that sucks in a contest that is supposed to be MOM.

The high wind caused a lot of line breaks and gear failure as well - I am hesitant to fly all the way down and depend on equipment that can't handle the tasks when all I get is a single line break that for the most part I can't control if the line is not up to snuff.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old May 24, 2013, 01:06 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2soar View Post
Anyone thinking about attending both of the biggest soaring events in the USA, registration for The Bruce opens this Saturday the 25th.

www.thebrucef3k.com

Hope to fly with ya in my backyard!

Bruce
And if you have enough stamina and travel time/money you can cover 3 events in 3 weekends including the most important end of season HL event if you go to ECHLGF-2013 the weekend after the Masters... Registration is already open

http://olgol.com/ECHLGF
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old May 24, 2013, 08:04 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,503 Posts
David, I thought the only trip you had made to Muncie was the WSM in '12? The '12 Nats had nearly no wind at all for the entire week, I just do not seem to remember you being there.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old May 25, 2013, 01:27 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.M. Gellart View Post
David, I thought the only trip you had made to Muncie was the WSM in '12? The '12 Nats had nearly no wind at all for the entire week, I just do not seem to remember you being there.

Marc
You are 100% correct I meant to say WSM - that was my first attendance - lost the first day due to fedex losing my planes - then arrived to find the wind

If I am working in Northbrook as I was in 2012 I could be down for another effort at Muncie but aside from that its a fairly costly trip. I have never been able to make the Nats but would like to.
Old Jun 03, 2013, 08:47 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,084 Posts
Guys,

If the WSM goes to mass launches I have a feeling I will not be the only one to just say no and choose not to attend. If I wanted to fly F3J I would sign up for an F3J Contest. I do not want to tear up my own plane but what would hurt me even more is if I got off kelter on launch and took out someone else's plane, especially if it was someone that actually had a chance to win.

Now with that said, it is and always has been the right of the organizers who put in all the hard work put on these outstanding events to set the rules as they see fit. It is then the choice of the contestants to choose either to attend or not to attend. There should be no bitching either way. Either choose to attend or not. Oh I guess the other choice is to step up and choose to help organize the events so you can actually have a say.

I personally hope they choose to keep things as is as far as the launch since it is a great contest to attend and always lots of fun.

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Jun 03, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
333 Posts
Kinda empathize with Pat on his comments... but as an old experienced soar-er,
but newbie "J" and WSM, (and Nats) enthousiast.. last years J at the nats was a treat.
Did however see the couple of demolitions, which I'm sure puts ice-water in everyone's
veins when it happens.. Haven't forgotten losing my new Pike in 2011 at Muncie..!!

One aspect of the last day of the Nats launching, which was sweet, was to launch two ships at a time, --- on a 10 man winch line, number1 and 6 launched simultaneously..
2 and 7..etc.. I hope that happens again, and can't see why the same thing can't be done at the WSM...(if regular TD is the format)
Might mean an extra round or two over the couple days..??

Perhaps even 3 ships simultaneously can go on a 9, 10, 11, or 12 man line..? Should be fairly safe separation between the rockets..!! ;-}

Just my CDN $0.03 = $0.02 US
Ray
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
Old Jun 03, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,546 Posts
I think what is being proposed in 2-3 man at a time is an easily attainable middle ground between those afraid of losing ships in a mass launch - mass land and the proponents of TD staggered starts which have at times taken way too long to get everyone in the air.

In the northwest the SASS club does this without problems and I can see getting a field of 12 up in very short order. The major factor in the success of this quick staggered launches is the stability of the gear...
Old Jun 04, 2013, 01:04 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,084 Posts
If a change in the way the launch is going to be handled is made, how soon will everybody be notified of the change? I would hate to pay the entry fee, make the trip to Muncie and then find out at the pilots meeting we are doing mass launches.

Thanks,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave