Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:23 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Well Rich. if that was the format, that would be a chunk of coal for me.

Marc
Which part? Do you not like any of those ideas?

Thanks,
Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,544 Posts
Tom, if I wanted to fly a J event, I would enter one. It is about that simple, I like the format and I think if you want a chance to have 100 entries again, the current format is the way to do that not as a J event.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,110 Posts
You could always ask Pete to turn it into a Team Selection event ... sounds like that's what Rich is after?
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:30 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,516 Posts
F3J in the Rocky Desert in Muncie?
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:27 AM
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
249 Posts
Wow Tom,,, what a thought! Im in!!

The Masters as a team selection for F3J ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,priceless!!!
Rich Burnoski is offline Find More Posts by Rich Burnoski
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:37 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,285 Posts
Why not make a rules proposal to the AMA to eliminate the current thermal duration contest formats and make F3J the "law of the land"? Since that seems to be the direction many want to go it seems to make sense. Alternatively, why not have F3J at the NATS and make that the Team selection event? Pattern and helis do that, seems to work for them. Then hold the WSM in of years and call it the "America's Cup" or something like that.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:49 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,110 Posts
If you would be happy with a 2 day team select, then F3J at the Nats might fit the bill. Remember that the Soaring Nats is the LSF's primary fundraiser so dropping other events with wider appeal would most likely result in loss of funds ... just as the schedule change in 2013 will likely result in drastic reduction of entrants (I hope not, but I fear this will be true).

Remember that the Nats is, by definition, an open event (at least for now, no telling how the current EC might change things).

The key to growth is INclusion, not EXclusion.

I think elimination of the USA TD events would be almost impossible ... they grew out of a basic desire for something different than the FAI programs offered.
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
Alternatively, why not have F3J at the NATS and make that the Team selection event?
Bill, F3J is being flown at the Nats in 2013, last event after UNL and being co-flown with ALES. As far as a Team Trial site, who knows...I am out of that loop anyway.

Marc
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Bill, F3J is being flown at the Nats in 2013, last event after UNL and being co-flown with ALES. As far as a Team Trial site, who knows...I am out of that loop anyway.

Marc
I know they fly F3J at the NATS. I'm talking about ONLY flying F3J at the NATS and making that the Team selection. This seems to be the endpoint we are moving towards since people are wanting to change to the "J" format over traditional AMA-TD type of events.

Personally I don't see what's wrong as it is. Man on Man in a slightly staggered launch seems to be a great format. In my mind the J proponents should do as they have been, continue to hold an increasing number of J contests. I do not see why existing contests/formats need to be changed to J.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,544 Posts
Bill, I agree with ya, I like TD, it is safer for the ship, and I do not need more gear to make it a contest. I really do not hear people talking about going full tilt F3J as the only thermal format around here, not even a whisper, and that is fine with me. Give me SMOM and we can have a great day, or MOM and have a great day too. With ALES coming on around here, if J takes off as "the" format there will be at least is a very simple, low input, low infrastructure contest to play.

Marc
Last edited by R.M. Gellart; Dec 30, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:28 PM
See you at the field
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts
I like to fly F3J format; and it is exciting, and challenging, and fun! But don't try to change the current big TD contest rules. They are fair and work well for large numbers of flyers. I do not want to bring towers or 2 F3J legal winches and batteries to every contest. Pick your contests you like and attend them. Keep TD as is, and have some more F3J contests in the future!

Having the F3J Team selects at the Nationals is an interesting proposal, and might work well.

Karl

S.O.A.R.
Karl Miller is offline Find More Posts by Karl Miller
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:52 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
I really like J events, but I also like NATS and Masters style events a lot. They're fun and challenging while still giving everyone a pretty fair shot at competing to their own top level. We have a pretty good selection of J events to go to also, but there is only 1 Masters and 1 NATS. Maybe I am waxing nostalgic here but, I think they should not be changed to a J event. I really enjoy completing at all different types of soaring, and varied contest format is fun and interesting.

For what it's worth,

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:40 AM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
338 Posts
+ 1 for keeping the Nats and Masters as was in 2012.
At the least it will allow those interested to try "J " like myself, to have the opportunity,
[no "J" in Canada.. :-( ]. The bulk of the enthusiasm as shown by the numbers of
entrants for "TD" is what makes the TD events such a blast to attend. Super folks having fun like a giant family re-union.

Having said that.. being a "J" newbie at the Nats, it was pure adrenalin standing behind
the line, like a raccoon on a 4 lane highway, with just my xmitter in hand, watching Mike L leaning and straining to pull my Icon further and further back, and telling Doug Pike " more, more, more" on the winch switch..
(and they said they would take it easy on me..!! LOL)
I wanna do it again..!!!

$00.02 CDN worth
Ray
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:27 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,762 Posts
Well, having bever been to either the NATS or the WSM... I'm faced with a decision. I won't make it to both due to time/family constraints. But which one to go to...?... It's1037 miles to AMA from my house... dragging a trailer... so I'd like to make that trip count.

Anyone in the DFW area wanna share fuel/camping costs for either???
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:11 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
?..Anyone in the DFW area wanna share fuel/camping costs for either???
I'm your Huckleberry....
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46