HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Does the INCEN design programme live up to your expectations?
Any suggestions or faults you've found? 0 0%
Any compliments.. 0 0%
Pleasure is in sharing your excitements. Don't you agree? 0 0%
There are still some of us who don't live for money! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Download
INCEN Aerofoil Design Programme

I have spent 4 months designing a NEW, off the shelf programme, which creates 15 styles of the same Aerofoil simultaneously, with auto - Graphic and auto .dat coordinate production. Manipulation is simple and visual, with no need to alter Points or Stations with a shaky mouse!!. Capable of producing the full range of Aerofoils - Sailplane, Glider, Semi - symmetrical, Symmetrical, Stunt, Reflex and Experimental. I've produced Glider Foils on it that are on a par, and better than the best in trial tests on XFLR. Try it!
I'd really appreciate your feedback if you do
You can email me at ivcullen@polka.co.za
IanVC is offline Find More Posts by IanVC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
this comes at a great time. I need to design an airfoil for a speed attempt. need a good EDF airfoil for a 70mm size plane with high aspect ratio, that can handle speeds above 200 MPH.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Hi Rich,
Good luck with that one. I find XFLR5 v6 an excellent tool for testing, even though it was designed for Sailplanes and Low Reynolds Numbers, it works well with SPEEEEED jobs as well! I hope you design the one that outclasses and out - performs!

Ian
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:06 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
Quick question as I try this out.

If I do nothing else but change cell K67 from the default "G" to "S" ... should I not see a different (Symmetrical) airfoil, complete with 15 variations?

What am I missing?

tn
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Re: Cell K67

Hi Thomas,

In the new version I posted, which includes Sailplane Fuselages, Cell K67 is now K68.
They alter nothing, other than the code in the 15 sets of .dat coordinates.

The "Camber Manipulation" - Row 60 gives 5 new sets of cambers to go with the Upper Profiles, giving 15
new aerofoils.
Unfortunately, they only work on cambered Foils and not Symmetrical, unless you're prepared to make a
Semi-symmetrical section with 0.001 camber, which is only 0.1% camber.
It won't even be noticeable.
In effect you're looking at a difference of 1mm in height either side of a 40mm thick section.

I have attached INCEN version 2.
It have altered all of the parameters to give more movement, and thus much, much more design freedom - You may not need that camber after all

That was a mouthful!!

Good luck!
Ian
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:32 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
Hi Ian

I think your efforts to contribute this to the RC community are awesome. Thank-you very much!

I have a suggestion that might help get this to 'take off'.

Why not "play" with your spreadsheet while taking a video of yourself. Just "talk & show" how how you import airfoils, adjust parameters and check results in XFLR5. Don't worry about getting it perfect - just explain your creation. Show why you might go to this trouble rather than simply picking a "stock" airfoil. Among the reasons I have done this very thing, for example, is to better match an aifoil to a jet fuselage - the upper surface of the stock foil did not blend well with the blended body design of the jet. I had to move the high point back, and used the TLAR method. Your spreadsheet would have done that for me and allowed me to check the flight characteristics before actually flying it.

Just a thought. In any event, thanks again for sharing your work!

tn
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Your good Idea!

Hi Thomas,
Thank you for the words of encouragement. We all need it..and upliftment
Your idea of a video is a very good one. However, I'm in the process of making a proper, simple, easy to read and understand Help Guide, with pics, diagrams and detailed views of Aerofoils and what the programmes cell figure manipulations do to them.

By the way, I don't import Aerofoils into the Incen programme. They're all original designs. Aerofoils are designed by men. There's no more satisfying feeling than creating one that performs better than the good ones in simulator tests.

I don't like the Fuselages I added to the page. On Sheet 2, I have almost completed a section devoted specifically to Aerodynamic Fuselages. The full version and help guide is going to take a good 2 - 3 weeks longer to complete.

Thanks so much again for all your encouragement.
Best wishes,
Ian
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:02 AM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
732 Posts
I agree with Thomas, please make a video and just explain the power of your programme to us. It's a pretty complex tool and it's overwhelming.

Thanks already !
vincent123 is offline Find More Posts by vincent123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FZ5: design phase
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:39 PM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
INCEN and Video

Hi Vincent,

I didn't make a video, but I did improve on the programme.
I don't know whether you have it?

I have made a fully comprehensive PDF HELP MANUAL, which shows
lots of CONTROL PANEL views and results of using ALL the controls.

I also made up some .DAT coordinates for Fuselage Formers, which Foils 4.2f accepts as Aerofoil coords! Really handy, as you can print them to any size within 1/10th mm.
If you use the "Foam cutting" option, you can also divide them up into points to use for stringer location.

Thanks for the interest!

I've attached them in two seperste Zip files for you.

Best wishes,
Ian