HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Getting Back to the Fuselage

Spent a few minutes this afternoon getting the Anylink set up on the DX-7. Turns out it was a simple plug in affair, with no binding needed for the F-86 Rx. The servo plugs were arranged to get the rudder and elevator on the right stick with the throttle on the left. Then with everything working, the fuselage side was glued in place and the top and bottom center balsa caps were added. The edges were beveled and the top side cap sheeting was added on all of the top and most of the bottom. Will finish it up tomorrow, and at that point, it'll be ready for cover and to get the graphics coming.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jan 2005
25 Posts
Pat,

This plane is awesome looking, I love the way you were able to keep the radio hidden inside of a profile fuselage. It really retains the looks of the American Junior 404 Interceptor. If folks want a lot of history on Jim Walker and the 404 Interceptor along with everything else he made, take look at there web site.

http://www.americanjuniorclassics.com/

You can still get a folding wing Interceptor and 74 Fighter from them.
magmo is offline Find More Posts by magmo
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,753 Posts
Hmmm, have you thought of launching with a rubber band just for nostalgia sake? Would need down elevator during launch phase

I'm just wierd enough to want to build the eventual short kit.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Jun 2004
81 Posts
Its like a window into my dreams. Brilliant.
Pierre_de Loop is offline Find More Posts by Pierre_de Loop
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Finishing Up the Fuselage

Got the last of the edge sheeting in place, then added a spot of filler here and there to level and smooth things up, then applied a couple of coats of Nitrate Dope to seal it up. A couple more coats and she'll be ready for graphics.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:09 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
A Dry Run Before Covering

Just to be sure no additional trimming would be needed the wings and tail were dry fitted onto the fuselage. So far it all looks good, so nxt step is to get the frames covered.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Covering the Frames

Covering the AJ is easy compared to most. The only thing to do is the wing and tail group. The fuselage will be left natural wood to stay in theme with the original.

The wings and tail components were first given one last detail sanding, then covered with cream Microlite, but in retrospect I'm not 100% sure that white might not be a better choice?? Oh well, I guess that'll be for another time.

Meanwhile, at this point the model is ready for graphics, so will go to work getting the information together to get Callie started on the project.

PAT
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
Madisonville, Tn
Joined Nov 2007
265 Posts
Pat,Looks great!! Can't wait to see it with the graphics on. I think I do need to work up a 24" span 74 as a companion to yours. Time will tell.

I also posted up a pic of my completed Pacer on the Stinson site. Take a peak and let me know what you think.
TTFN The Yank
Yankeeone is offline Find More Posts by Yankeeone
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,753 Posts
As a further tribute to Jim Walker, a faux electric powered Firebaby for U-Control or RC would be neato. The AJ Hornet rubber powered FF enlarged and converted to electric RC has been done successfully. These are scale models of non-scale models and as such, should at make an appearance in the Scale Electric Plane forum.

http://www.americanjuniorclassics.co...t/hornet2x.htm
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Dec 24, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:15 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Jim's Walker 404-Interceptor &AJ Hornet

Paul Bradley did them with the old RFFS-100 actuator system:
http://www.parmodels.com/elec_rc.htm
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:59 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,269 Posts
I wrote to them about getting a set of plans drawn by Frank Macy for an electric Fireball RC. Its not in the fireball plans set but the owner said he would get them printed and figure out a price. They also had a very neat looking A-J 744 U/C that had a molded balsa fuselage - it would make a nice looking electric RC too.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:01 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Back in the Saddle Again.....

Been down for a bit over the holidays, and was late getting the graphics ordered, so had to wait it out. Callie was closed from just before Christmass till just after the new year, but she's back at it and was able to get the graphics done for the AJ. So, today it looks like we'll be applying the decals. In the meantime I got the opening cut into the fuselage for the battery.

PAT
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:10 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Applying the Graphics

Got the Graphics in place this afternoon with only a minimal amount of trimming. Now it's really starting to look like a 404.... And as expected, Callie really did a job on this one.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:13 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Doing the Major Assembly

And with the graphics in place it was time to put all the big pieces together. The wings and tail section was glued in place, and the hinges set up using hinge tape. Then the Z-Bends were made on the pushrods and the control horns glued in place. And with that done, the only thing left now is to set up the CG and get the radio programmed for the test flights.....

PAT
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:14 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,463 Posts
Pat

Very slick looking!! Hope the test flights go well.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen