Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:01 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Build Log
AJ-404 Interceptor for 3 ch. R/C

Got started this week working up a 30" span AJ-404 Interceptor for 3 ch. R/C. The idea is to maintain the original profile look of the folding wing glider, yet still hid all of the equipment possible. I also went with a built up wing rather then curved sheet balsa, primarily for strength, but also for fly-ability. A Clark-Y airfoil was used, so it should be a good solid flyer.

Construction began with bowing up the wingtip and tail section outlines. The "stick framed" tail section was also done to keep the strength up and the weight down.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Building the Wing

The dihedral is built into the 1/16 balsa main and sub-spars using 1/64 ply dihedral braces. The main spar is sandwitched between two braces, the sub spar is simply doubled. The rib bottoms are 1/16 sq. balsa up to the main spar and cut ribs fill the gap from there. The trailing edge is also pre-shaped and keys into the rib bottoms. The tip bows were glued in after the LE had been fitted and glued in place.

The panels were built one at a time since the dihedral was already set up in the spar, so after the first panel was done, the spar was tipped over to the other side and the second panel built up just like the first. Once done, the assembly was sanded to shape.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:15 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Framing the Fuselage

The fuselage is built up from flat sides and formers so that the radio gear and ESC can be hidden on the inside. Servos, Rx and ESC were robbed from a shelled out F-86, and will fit nicely into the 1/2" wide internal cavity. The .015 steel wire pushrods are fitted to the servo arm with a Z-Bend, and guided through holes in each of the formers. The servos are glued to the fuse side using silicone caulk.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:23 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Mounting the Motor

A motor mount tube was built up by soldering a section of 7/32 brass tube into a 1/4" tube, then drilled to slip over the tubular mount on the back of the motor. The mount tube was then cross drilled so that the motor mount screw could pass through to secure the motor to the mount. The tube was then aligned and glued into the front former.

Once that was done the motor wiring was soldered to the ESC and the ESC tucked away in the forward former cavity. Once the motor has run to insure proper direction of rotaion and the servos set up to run the rudder and elevator the second side can be glued in place. For now, a dry fit indicates that there's no problem with fit or alignment.

PAT
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:07 AM
Joined Jan 2005
25 Posts
Pat,
This is wonderful, who does not love the American Junior 404 Interceptor. Nearly every kid growing up in the 1940's & 50's that loved airplanes probable has flown a folding wing Interceptor and now to have a RC version is to cool.
magmo is offline Find More Posts by magmo
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Jan 2005
25 Posts
Just a picture to help folks remember the great Folding Wing Glider, this is the modern version.
magmo is offline Find More Posts by magmo
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:24 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,832 Posts
Great tribute to the 404 Interceptor. Oldtimers will weep for joy. I liked the enlarged electric powered Hornet shown in video on the AJ website. Flew gracefully just like the rubber powered original.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:26 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,178 Posts
Pat,

Is that an E-Flight 250 motor? For 2S? Expected wing area and weight?

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:45 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
Pat,

Is that an E-Flight 250 motor? For 2S? Expected wing area and weight?

Jim R.
Jim, The model spans 30" with an area of roughly 125 sq. in. and is set up with a 180 outrunner on 2 cells. The Rx, ESC and Servos are from the little foam F-86, and the motor from The Beast. Don't have a feel for the all up weight yet, but at this point with all the frames finished less the sheeting around the top and bottom of the fuselage, with all of the running gear in (except the battery) we're at 41 grams. That being the case I'd bet the finished weight will be around 70 grams. Having done a few 30" span models in the past at around 3.5 oz. (100 gr.) we should be in good shape weight-wize.

PAT
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:49 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,485 Posts
Pat

That is way too cool!! I remember having one of the original AJ's many many years ago. How are you going to do the finish on it?

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Last edited by Brian Allen; Dec 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Allen View Post
Pat

That is way to cool!! I remember having one of the original AJ's many many years ago. How are you going to do the finish on it?

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian, I'll cover it with cream Microlite to represent the original balsa color and send the color plates over to Callie and have her do up the graphics from the original red and blue printed color scheme. Should be pretty cool when it's all done.

PAT
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,521 Posts
Pat,
Will this be a kit?
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:16 PM
Madisonville, Tn
Joined Nov 2007
265 Posts
(&*^^$@$$^^*&%%$

Somewhere I have 2 of the 404 Intercepter gliders, the original with the metal wing roots. I also have 2 of the chuck-and-fetch 74 gliders that I fling around my front yard. May need to work up a 24" version of the 74 as a companion to Pat's 404. Would be neet to fly them both in LR come June (if I can make it). Pat, keep up the outstanding work.

TTFN The Yank

BTW Pat, WHERE ARE THE FLIGHT PICS OF THE STINSON????????
Yankeeone is offline Find More Posts by Yankeeone
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
Pat,
Will this be a kit?
Wes
Wes, I'm not sure yet, but if it flies well and the Guys at American Junior don't mind I'd say there's a pretty good chance there could be a Short Kit come of it.....

PAT
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:26 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Building the Tail Feathers

The rudder and elevator are both stick framed and will be hinged with tape. I didn't get a photo of the elevator yet, but will add it next time around.