HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Camcam171717, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
Clash of the clans
United States, WI, Wausau
Joined Dec 2012
80 Posts
Discussion
My new plane

I got this new plane and wanted to no if anyone new the nam of the plane and tell me it
Camcam171717 is offline Find More Posts by Camcam171717
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
Clash of the clans
Joined Dec 2012
80 Posts
Here is a outher pic

Another pic
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, FL, Masaryktown
Joined Jun 2008
750 Posts
Looks like a fairly well beat-up PT-17. Some minor repairs and a new coat of paint and it should be fine.

Regards
Frank
phlpsfrnk is offline Find More Posts by phlpsfrnk
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
into the wild blue yonder
United States, OR, Dundee
Joined Dec 2010
654 Posts
Looks like a PT-17 to me too. Good luck with your new project, should be a nice flyer. This plane was used a a trainer for fighter pilots in ww1.
Barney Boy is offline Find More Posts by Barney Boy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: X-8 X650f ready for autopilot
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
Clash of the clans
Joined Dec 2012
80 Posts
Thanks you guys . Now does anyone know what is the name of the fabric that's on it
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:58 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
That is a Sterling kit of a PT-17 Stearman WW II trainer and it looks like it is covered in silk and dope.
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
Clash of the clans
Joined Dec 2012
80 Posts
Ok thanks now I just need plans
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:28 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,926 Posts
I was going to say that it looks like a Boeing PT-17 in need of some work. So has everyone else, it would seem.

Is it nitro or electric and do you have anything besides the airframe? Remember, a "free airplane" is rarely free. Add to that the fact you still have no flying experience.

Getting plans is a good idea, especially if you have a contact at the club who can help you make parts and recover repaired areas.

Again: You have a very, very long way to go before you're going to be blasting that model around your club.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Dec 12, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
It's a Sterling Stearman. I have one too that I am converting to electric. There is a thread started here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349779

It's a lot of work and money to restore this plane if you are new to the hobby... and I'm sure you could easily get $100 for it and spend the money on something that's better suited for you.

Reproduction plans will cost you $15-$20. Silkspan and dope and paint will cost you about $75-$100 "if" you do it right the first time --- but you probably won't. New servos, a gas engine or electric motor, gas tank or batteries, RX, essential hardware, etc will run you ~$200-$300 for a plane this size. And if you add details like a scale dummy motor, pilots, decals, etc, you might spend another $50-$100. And it will take you hours and hours to do the work right.

Not trying to be a jerk about it, but I've dug through some of your threads and you don't seem to have the patience, experience, or money to sink into this model. I suggest you sell it while it's still more-or-less in 1 piece. Start with something smaller if you want to learn how to cover a "stick" plane.

--- my 2 cents.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Dec 13, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:24 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
It's a Sterling Stearman. I have one too that I am converting to electric. There is a thread started here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349779

It's a lot of work and money to restore this plane if you are new to the hobby... and I'm sure you could easily get $100 for it and spend the money on something that's better suited for you.

Reproduction plans will cost you $15-$20. Silkspan and dope and paint will cost you about $75-$100 "if" you do it right the first time --- but you probably won't. New servos, a gas engine or electric motor, gas tank or batteries, RX, essential hardware, etc will run you ~$200-$300 for a plane this size. And if you add details like a scale dummy motor, pilots, decals, etc, you might spend another $50-$100. And it will take you hours and hours to do the work right.

Not trying to be a jerk about it, but I've dug through some of your threads and you don't seem to have the patience, experience, or money to sink into this model. I suggest you sell it while it's still more-or-less in 1 piece. Start with something smaller if you want to learn how to cover a "stick" plane.

--- my 2 cents.
Good advice you'd do very well to consider heeding.

Even if you had the money to fix this right, you don't have the skill to fly it. Remember: You asked us what a "tail" was.

Cam, you're not in a position, financial or otherwise, to get this model flying again.

I ask you to go back and look at the free plane I blogged about. I have an airframe and an engine. Nothing more.

It will need four mini-servos at an average cost of $15 each for halfway decent ones. The receiver I'd need to fly it with the radio I have in mind is $65. It'll need a bunch of little things like a fuel tank, a glow plug (there's $8 right there) hardware, some wood, fuel tubing and the like, so figure $20 more.

That's north of $100 right there. I'm also in need of a new starter battery for my flight box. Twenty bucks. My fuel might be stale, so there's $22 more.

See what we have all be trying to get through to you since you first logged on?

You're simply approaching this all wrong.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:59 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,926 Posts
How are things going? Everything OK?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:01 PM
Clash of the clans
Joined Dec 2012
80 Posts
Yes every thing ok
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,926 Posts
OK, that's good. You really shouldn't be asking for any more free stuff, though. Please. You're going to really torque someone off and an administrator may shut you down if you aren't careful.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:19 PM
Clash of the clans
Joined Dec 2012
80 Posts
Ok thanks