HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:53 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
I would think that the cheap Chinese toys on 27mhz are all very low power compared to the GG transmitters we're talking about.
They are but even a lower power signal will confuse the airborne receiver enough that a glitch is the result. Radio waves don't work the same as talking over the din in a restaurant by talking louder. Especially the very basic pulsed tone systems that were used in these old single channel rigs.

But since you're in the US it won't be that big a deal to avoid the issue. I suspect that you fly at a field which is fairly remote from schoolyards or other built up areas. So a kid with a 27Mhz toy is more likely to have been brought out by one of the flyers and be playing in the parking lot than to wander by at the edge of the field. Just watch out for that aspect and you should be fine.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
In the mid 1970s I flew about 1/8 of a mile from U.S. 1 in the Florida Keys on 26.995 with a M.A.N. 2-3-4 system at the absolute zenith of the CB craze, with big trucks blasting away with their power amplifiers and such. Not one glitch over a three year period. Everyone else was on 72 mhz and couldn't believe it. I currently fly vintage systems on 27 mhz and still haven't had an issue. Russ Farris
pookielips1954 is online now Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:33 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,974 Posts
Russ, may I ask, what is a M.A.N. 2-3-4 system?

Cees

Edit, find it, see the picture!
In Model Airplane News, September 1968 there is an article
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Dec 23, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:57 PM
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,486 Posts
It's good to know we can have success flying 27mhz here in the states. Lets stay on topic and open anpther thread on the MAN 2-3-4.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti