HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:53 AM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Help!
Min-X Galloping Ghost

I'm going to do another retro project. This time it will be the Midwest L-19 I had back in high school. See another thread on trying to find a kit. If not, I'm in the process in drawing one up for the laser cutters, just like I did for my Falcon 56 build.

I'm looking for a Min-X Pulsmite GG system with a Rand LR-3 actuator at best. At least I could use the actuator.

Another avenue to go is to build a Min-X transmitter look-a-like and put in 2.4 and use a modern radio in the plane.

Also from what I understand that there was an article by Bob Kopsi called "A Great Leap Backward" that takes a modern radio and drives a GG actuator. This was in a VRCS newsletter #10. Does anybody have a copy of that article that thay could share?

It looks like I have several options to go from here. Let's see what pans out.

Thanks.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Last edited by Crist Rigotti; Dec 12, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,954 Posts
Ah, so your Min-X was a galloping ghost. I posted on your Falcon 56 thread and mentioned I had the Min-X. I guess it is that same system. Thanks for bringing back the memories. Yes I do have a Falcon 56 kit (re-make) ready to build.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,057 Posts
It would be easy to rig a servo to give right/left motion just like the old days to demonstrate single channel aerobatics. You could even rig an electric motor to run with an electric free flight cutoff to demonstrate no throttle flying and landing. Maybe omit elevator control to make it more of a challenge.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
I really could use a Rand LR-3 actuator. Anybody?
Thanks,
Crist
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
I have a Rand actuator I might sell. Also a lot of single equipment and ten channel reed equipment I might sell also
Glenn
duster pilot is online now Find More Posts by duster pilot
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:06 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster pilot View Post
I have a Rand actuator I might sell. Also a lot of single equipment and ten channel reed equipment I might sell also
Glenn
Glenn,
Check your email.
Thanks,
Crist
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:08 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
I'm looking for a Min-X Pulsmite GG system with a Rand LR-3 actuator at best.....Another avenue to go is to build a Min-X transmitter look-a-like and put in 2.4 and use a modern radio in the plane.Thanks.
Personally, I would advise strongly against using original radio gear - nowadays the airwaves are so crowded, and old gear so poorly protected from intereference that a 'shoot-down' of some sort could only be a matter of time. To lose your model would be a real shame - to injure someone would be a tragedy.

The idea of 2.4GHz 'single channel emulation' is a far better route - there are some chaps in Pontefract here in the UK who have been playing with this with great success for some time - it may be worth you contacting them via RCG. I can't find the most relevant thread at the moment (time, plus I'm at work), but have a look at this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l#post19970037 and go from there!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:49 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,661 Posts
No probs Col.

Regards Ian
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
That's the ticket, cheers bud!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Thank you guys, I've been in contact with Phil.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:29 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jun 2003
206 Posts
Well, I've been flying the older radios on 27 Megs for over 20+ years now without any interference issues at all. Funny, the only injury I've received is when a brand new computer radio quit working on one of my helis and cost me the tips of 2 fingers!!!

The radios, if properly rebuilt using modern day capacitors and such have been very reliable. CB radios are the thing of the past in the States with cell phones taken over!!!!

Bob Harris
BobHH is offline Find More Posts by BobHH
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
I'm with Bob on this one. I have a circa-1973 Hobby Shack Cirrus Sport 3 (made by EK Logictrol) on 27.045 that never had a problem with interference even during the height of the CB craze during the '70s.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
With respect, experiences of 27MHz flying aren't really applicable to today. My concern is that (in the UK at least), toyshops are rammed full of cheap Chinese radio control toys - all on 27MHz. Some of these transmit on 'not very narrow' frequencies. Owners of these toys are not going to check who may be flying in the vicinity on 27MHz.

Perhaps in the US you are blessed with being able to fly miles from wherever anyone else may be transmitting, and then of course it will be as safe now as it was in the 60s & 70s. But personally, living on this overcrowded isle, I wouldn't consider 27MHz for anything other than ground vehicles, and I still would urge 2.4Mhz (or the 'airborne only' 35 / 72MHz) for the radio link itself.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:09 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jun 2003
206 Posts
Well, I must agree I primarily fly away from congested areas at a large field most of the time. I also fly single channel encampments too so a large field is a safety factor when single channel turns into free flight!!! But my pulsers and GG systems are not affected much if any by these systems when I've checked them. Must be the pulsing rate of the newer digital systems. The only thing that will have an effect is the single tone of a single channel transmitter!!

Again I feel proper care and maintenance will give you a more reliable system but not fool proof. I fly 2.4 gHz in my Quickie 500 racers too and lost a new racers after 2 flights due to a faulty flight pack switch which was new out of the pack!! My biggest concern is the 3-D guy hovering a 20 HP model just feet away when a faulty switch, connector or weak battery gives way!!!

Our equipment is light years ahead in reliability than this vintage gear but it still is an electro-mechanical device and can fail. We Americans are all too familiar with this truth by our NASA space shuttle record!

Bob Harris
BobHH is offline Find More Posts by BobHH
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:26 AM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
I would think that the cheap Chinese toys on 27mhz are all very low power compared to the GG transmitters we're talking about.