Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
850 Posts
Discussion
What does a cannalizer do?

Hi guys,

I have seen a lot of people using cannalizers, and I have been wondering what they do?

Thanks,

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,937 Posts
It improves airflow over the rudder
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:53 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
850 Posts
Thank you,

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:23 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
How does it look? Never heard of a cannalizer before.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
It improves airflow over the rudder
I assume we are talking about the same aerodynamical device. It started as a small "T-Tail" behind the canopy of F3A models and it continued to grow - in size and at the bottom as well.

What CPLR told about the effects:

Quote:
I had a long chat with CPLR about his Axiome design details. A few things I notice about this airplane beyond just the rear sweeping wing, and giant canalizer. Firstly the main wing appears much smaller, Christophe told me that yes this is true, and what he did was subtract the canalizer area from the main wing area. The canalizer is about 10 dm^2 (~155 in^2), so the main wing is that much smaller than what you would expect or consider normal. The rear sweeping wing also requires more dihedral than what is normal for a monoplane, so the dihedral was increased a little from the original point which was to set the top of the wing flat (fairly standard on monoplanes). Also the main wing is placed lower in the fuse than you would normally place a monoplane wing.

Secondly, the stab and fin are very large relative to the wing, and also to other F3A models. Christophe said he was not happy with the directional stability in the Osmose, so he made a similar change to the Osmose Evolution and it was improved. So this is a carry over of that, my next question was obviously does that not make it more difficult in the snap, to which he smiled and said there are always compromises Indeed.

The side area of the fuse is also much less than other monoplanes as well, this is a result of the 1/2 bipe wing on top increasing the efficiency of the fuse in knife edge, so there is less requirement for a lot of side area. This helps in the crosswind he said by presenting less airplane to get blown around. The model is still pretty big, so I am not sure how much it helps, but its an interesting direction to take and the Axiome doesn't seem to lack and knife edge performance.
Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:25 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Thanks Jürgen! Now I know.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:56 AM
"Free" in Christ!