Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:06 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,602 Posts
Why yes I do, but then I would not have time to sit and watch it dry!
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:01 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,602 Posts
I just got home from a day of flying and am rather disheartened. A fellow club member has a Cub he just painted the wing's, tailfeathers, and a big stripe down the side, black. I flew it and did not even leave the ground ground before realizing I have a major issue with seeing black. Flew two circles by way of the wheels hanging down because all I could see was a big black dot. So the black is out for the Pitts. I have no idea what color scheme I will go with.
I did pick up a new band saw blade.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,117 Posts
I saw a White pitts with Green stripes once...The same color scheme as the Tennessee Red and White ones,but MAN,it was beautiful....

"Google" Pitts ,and you'll find a color scheme to suit you.

I'm so happy you got a new bandsaw blade !!!lol.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4rc View Post
I flew it and did not even leave the ground ground before realizing I have a major issue with seeing black. Flew two circles by way of the wheels hanging down because all I could see was a big black dot. So the black is out for the Pitts.
Best to find out now, that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
"Google" Pitts ,and you'll find a color scheme to suit you.
Also, go to www.airliners.net and insert "pitts" in the search feature. You're going to find hundreds of 'em.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,141 Posts
How about just reversing your original color scheme ?
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:26 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,602 Posts
Thank's for the attempted help guy's I really appreciate it. EJ I went through all 1764 pic's at Airliners and only three tickled my fancy. Those three are below in order of most tickle first.Tom, I am going to attempt to build a Top Gun quality airplane and for that I have to have documentation. I was talking with the fella that owns the black cub and he made a point I had not thought of. The pitts does have all that yellow on it where as his does not. So we are going to tape some yellow stripes on his wings and see if, at the distance across our field, I can see it without the blacking out effect.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,221 Posts
Found a couple of other pics of G-SWON. Being that the top of both wings and the horizontal stab has a yellow sunburst pattern, do you think that'll help?

EJWash
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:16 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,602 Posts
EJ all I know for sure is when I flew that cub today and all that I could see was a black dot my first and only thought was no way. Andt as you just mentioned, so did the owner of the cub when I was talking with him on the phone. I think the two of you may be right. But I will still put the yellow stripes on his and see if I can see it. Just to make sure, no point in building something I possibly could not fly.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,117 Posts
RE:report #97

Man look at that tailwheel first landing,and the left aileron he's holding ! That's what I'm talkin' about !-. 10 Points !
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:09 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,602 Posts
I found something else just a little different.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:25 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4rc View Post
I found something else just a little different.
Yeah... Going for that Curtis Hawk P-6E sorta look. Interesting, but not very air show or competition acro-like. Off the beaten "cookie-cutter" Pitts trail, but almost, "look at me, I'm a warbird". Ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Man look at that tailwheel first landing,and the left aileron he's holding ! That's what I'm talkin' about !-. 10 Points !
Saw that, but I've made some over the years I'm *not* particularly proud of to offer comment...

EJWash
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:38 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,602 Posts
EJ according to the owner, it is the P-6E paint job. LOL The more I think about all the yellow on the original choice the more I think it is do able. I will find out Wednesday.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:20 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,602 Posts
Ok guy's enough of the fun and games. Not going to build a scale model that is not painted accordingly or something I settle with. The more I think about the amount of yellow on my original choice the more I think it will be okay. I will find out Wednesday for sure. But for now the black and yellow is still my plan.

By the way I got the rest of the part's cut for the wings and the spars glued in.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:36 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,117 Posts
Thank you for not doing the "Snow Owl" paint scheme...A Pitts is a PITTS,not a warbird...I'd have had problems judging it at a contest,scale or not...That paint is against everything Curtiss had in mind ! IMHO...keep going.........
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:13 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,602 Posts
I have decided that if the black does not work out I will go with a reverse of the same.