HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:10 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,952 Posts
And I forgot to mention, that 1/2" I had to add to the ailerons made a big difference in the amount of servo movement. As it was, I was at the outer hole with 120% usage in the radio just to get a max deflection of 1/2". And after the rebuild the usage dropped to 95% with linkage adjustment. I like to be between 90-100% on servo travel. I can only use the outer hole on the control horns
because of how I set it up. I used standard servo horns and only one hole cleard well. I did not want to use the heavy duty because of size.
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:14 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,952 Posts
Well the car shopping is a bust. I'm not paying those prices for a used vehicle. So we're going to wait a few moth's and buy the wife a new vehicle and give the son hers.
So come monday I will order the covering, tape, and paints. Over the next week or until the covering comes in I can really get this thing perfect. Starting with repalcing the two lower fuse aluminum panels. Not as close a fit as I would really like. When they are right I can apply some cockpit coming to the aluminum that will give a buffer around the cabanes. And I will, hopefully, get the fuse interior built and ready. Here's a shot of the cowl in place with the magnetic block's (depicted by black arrow) epoxied in place and curing. These few thing's are all that is left, so it will be ready for the Polylite.
Last edited by ace4rc; Feb 10, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:08 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,952 Posts
Last cowl block's are installed, 1st pic. Second pic shows the three contact points per half. Black arrows rearward blocks and the red arrow is the forward block, it will also have a rotation pin just for good measure.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:42 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,972 Posts
I'm gonna start magnetizing soon also.....doors, hatches etc.

Is that the final resting place for your fuel tank ? I just installed the Monocoupe tank in that orientation..
Mine's a little higher for a glow engine, but it is transverse.

Pitts is lookin' good.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:30 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,952 Posts
I have been useing magnets for a couple years for everything and love it. Yes sir! That is the final resting place for the tank. Gas does not matter being there is a pump to pull the fuel. If I install a smoke system the tank will fit above the fuel tank.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:32 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,952 Posts
The cowl mount turned out really well. Now is where I do what I call a final assembly prior to covering. This is when all the fine finishing comes in for me. When this assembly is complete everything will be fine tuned and ready to go. So! Without further adue.
I wrapped the bottom wing with painters plastic and installed it to the fuse, then added the belly pan to the wing. Mixed up a 50/50 epoxy and micro balloons and with a syringe I press the mixture in the joining seam's. This will give me a very tight joint. Tomorrow I can continue with the wing's.
I assume the struts have a rounded L/T edge being built from tube. If anyone knows different please chime in. I will be shapeing them tomorrow.
There won't be much of pics until I get to the covering. Not much to show that hasn't already been posted, just a redo.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:12 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,952 Posts
The fuse is complete, other than the cockpit which will come later. And the lower wing is complete except for the control rod clevis to the upper wing. The bottom wing has been mounted to the fuse. I am adding a pic of the wing to fuse joint. I don't know if it will be visible as to how well the joint fits. But it is like a glove.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:27 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,480 Posts
that wing saddle turned out sweet!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:46 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,952 Posts
Thanks whiskykid. Did you get the rest of the covering for yours?
Currently waiting on filler to dry on the top wing.
Last edited by ace4rc; Feb 12, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:01 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4rc View Post
Currently waiting on filler to dry on the top wing.
Curious as to what filler you've had the best results with. Long time ago I used resin (polyester) and micro-balloons. A bit too hard. Recently I've used the Hobbico filler and spackle. Looking to see what else may be out there.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:25 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,952 Posts
I use two different types. The container on top is a lightweight spackle and is used anywhere a soft fill is needed. The container on the bottom is a type of wood putty and is used for areas requiring a harder fill. The wood putty get's hard enough it can be drilled and tapped.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:37 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,323 Posts
How is the wood putty's sandibility with balsa?

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:37 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,480 Posts
no covering yet! but was thinking bout heading ta town!

my bwife was a BAD lil girl rthis wk end, she went bought me a chinise extra 330 for my crg 20cc! ta fly while my ol extra in for overhual!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by whiskykid; Feb 12, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:44 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,952 Posts
EJ it's not. It gets very hard and the balsa would be all gone before the putty, think of it as a good hardwood.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:49 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,972 Posts
Concerning filler

Guys,- I've been using the light weight spackle for years ,now...When it has been sanded to final shape, soak it with thin C/A. it will become plenty hard to stand up to hangar rash.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member